Bonnet alignment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
resjud

Post by resjud »

andreas wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:33 am
Nelladrahcir wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 am
I would also similarly ensure that part of the car, even if it's only couple of grand, is paid for with a credit card. The SE may well fight this nut if you have then the whole purchase is covered by the Consumer Credit Act and the credit card company is equally responsible for the purchase. A very powerful tool.
As I understand it, the Section 75 provision only covers purchases of goods to a max value of £30K.
True, but Section 75a may cover you up to £60,260 if you bought via Porsche Financial Services on PCP/hire purchase, but it would then be Porsche Financial Services rather than the credit card provider that is on the hook. Not a slam-dunk approach, but useful as another tool to apply pressure on the dealer.
Macan S delivered Jan 2022: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7N8UC1

Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

andreas wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:33 am
Nelladrahcir wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 am
I would also similarly ensure that part of the car, even if it's only couple of grand, is paid for with a credit card. The SE may well fight this nut if you have then the whole purchase is covered by the Consumer Credit Act and the credit card company is equally responsible for the purchase. A very powerful tool.
As I understand it, the Section 75 provision only covers purchases of goods to a max value of £30K.
Yikes!!!

I stand corrected.

I hadn't realised that as I've never spent more than £30k on any car before!!!!!
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Back in 2006 i rejected a £45k Boxster for poor prep/ ruined paintwork through verbal and written request to the OPC. The car had been registered to me ready for collection, but i never sat in the car never mind drove it away. In fairness it was pretty obvious the car wasn't what it should have been, pity the poor soul that eventually bought that car. I had to confirm i never collected the car so the DVLA could remove me as an owner.

Once you've driven away you are in the realms of giving the dealer chance to rectify the issue - but if they don't accept there is an issue it becomes more complicated
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

Percymon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:01 am Back in 2006 i rejected a £45k Boxster for poor prep/ ruined paintwork through verbal and written request to the OPC. The car had been registered to me ready for collection, but i never sat in the car never mind drove it away. In fairness it was pretty obvious the car wasn't what it should have been, pity the poor soul that eventually bought that car. I had to confirm i never collected the car so the DVLA could remove me as an owner.

Once you've driven away you are in the realms of giving the dealer chance to rectify the issue - but if they don't accept there is an issue it becomes more complicated
Could you share more on the timeline of this? ie collection day you inspected the car at handover and decided it was not acceptable and then said to SE 'nope...not taking that'

So not accepting the car outright at handover is less problematic than accepting and then raising all the issues? I'm curious on how each scenario would play out?
Macan GTS on order: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPDF6163
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Legally once you've driven it off it's your car. Thye can and will try to repair any issues but it is your car.

You can subsequently reject it for various reasons but, and but is underlined, it is much easier if you've rejected before taking it away.

My audi had a large mark under each door handle that weren't obvious until I got home where some twit had used a bill pad or something to remove the glue that held the protective pads on.
I thought it would have been an easy fix and it wasn't.
With hindsight I wish I had just walked away at the time.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

martinto8 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:32 pm
Percymon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:01 am Back in 2006 i rejected a £45k Boxster for poor prep/ ruined paintwork through verbal and written request to the OPC. The car had been registered to me ready for collection, but i never sat in the car never mind drove it away. In fairness it was pretty obvious the car wasn't what it should have been, pity the poor soul that eventually bought that car. I had to confirm i never collected the car so the DVLA could remove me as an owner.

Could you share more on the timeline of this? ie collection day you inspected the car at handover and decided it was not acceptable and then said to SE 'nope...not taking that'

So not accepting the car outright at handover is less problematic than accepting and then raising all the issues? I'm curious on how each scenario would play out?
No problem

Car arrived with OPC earlier than expected but they agreed to the original delivery date (Jan 2006) - I was told the car would go into storage off site rather than sitting round the back of the dealership. A few weeks later I attended the launch of the then new Cayman, only to spot my car parked behind the OPC with all the transit protection removed, and a dint in the door from careless door opening of cars coming and going in the next parking space. Raised with SE who stated they didnt have any other storage and all cars had protection removed on arrival - somewhat different to his prior comments.

Come collection day the dint had been removed by the paintless dent guy but the paintwork had been polished with a dirty mop - it basically was lightly scoured all over. SE accepted it wasn't to my standard and agreed to have another go at prep. Next day the SE called to say a second attempt hadn't made any difference, and they'd drafted in someone from Lloyd's bodyshop in Liverpool to assist. Cue the next day and supposedly rectified - as i walked in the showroom i was met with the reek of silicone polish, they'd tried to mask the swirl damage. Recognising the paint had not been rectified i rejected it verbally there n the, and followed up with email.

I'd also spoken at the time to Paul Dalton, who was probably the best car detailer in the UK back then, and he quoted £1200 for 2 days correction work, plus travel expenses. I got my full refund from the OPC the day i signed the paperwork for the DVLA to remove me as an owner.

Had i driven the car away and later found the paintwork had been masked over i may have had a much harder fight to reject the car. In my case it was a easily seen fault at delivery.

Apart from being left without a vehicle it worked out OK for m in the end, as a week later i bought a much higher and sportier spec'd demonstrator from Reading.
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

Percymon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:07 pm

No problem

Car arrived with OPC earlier than expected but they agreed to the original delivery date (Jan 2006) - I was told the car would go into storage off site rather than sitting round the back of the dealership. A few weeks later I attended the launch of the then new Cayman, only to spot my car parked behind the OPC with all the transit protection removed, and a dint in the door from careless door opening of cars coming and going in the next parking space. Raised with SE who stated they didnt have any other storage and all cars had protection removed on arrival - somewhat different to his prior comments.

Come collection day the dint had been removed by the paintless dent guy but the paintwork had been polished with a dirty mop - it basically was lightly scoured all over. SE accepted it wasn't to my standard and agreed to have another go at prep. Next day the SE called to say a second attempt hadn't made any difference, and they'd drafted in someone from Lloyd's bodyshop in Liverpool to assist. Cue the next day and supposedly rectified - as i walked in the showroom i was met with the reek of silicone polish, they'd tried to mask the swirl damage. Recognising the paint had not been rectified i rejected it verbally there n the, and followed up with email.

I'd also spoken at the time to Paul Dalton, who was probably the best car detailer in the UK back then, and he quoted £1200 for 2 days correction work, plus travel expenses. I got my full refund from the OPC the day i signed the paperwork for the DVLA to remove me as an owner.

Had i driven the car away and later found the paintwork had been masked over i may have had a much harder fight to reject the car. In my case it was a easily seen fault at delivery.

Apart from being left without a vehicle it worked out OK for m in the end, as a week later i bought a much higher and sportier spec'd demonstrator from Reading.
Thanks for sharing. I am wondering if it would be good to have a handover ‘list of things’ to check as the emotions and excitement of taking ownership of a new car can cause you to overlook defects
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

martinto8 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:21 pm
Percymon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:07 pm

No problem

Thanks for sharing. I am wondering if it would be good to have a handover ‘list of things’ to check as the emotions and excitement of taking ownership of a new car can cause you to overlook defects
I take an led torch to check over the paintwork. Once you have driven away it’s hard to argue about scratches, swirls etc
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:33 pm
I take an led torch to check over the paintwork. Once you have driven away it’s hard to argue about scratches, swirls etc
Should the expectation be that the paintwork is free from any scratch even super faint ones?
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

martinto8 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:13 pm
mark-yorkshire wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:33 pm
Should the expectation be that the paintwork is free from any scratch even super faint ones?
Whenever you watch one of the car manufacturing documentaries on TV they always go on about quality control and then you see misaligned bonnets - how does this happen. So yes on a £50k+ car I do expect to have paintwork free of swirls and scratches.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.