Bonnet alignment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

I apologies if this topic has been discussed before but I feel I need to vent and ask you all for any advice or comments. I can see a few members have brought this matter up in recent months so thought it would be useful for them also to discuss this.
I picked up my new S in September and a few weeks later it came to my attention that my bonnet wasn’t fully aligned (see pictures). The defect is exacerbated (gap increases) after a drive when the bonnet heats up. I’ve been to my OPC (Sheffield) twice about this and each time after taking the car in they said the bonnet and gap measurements were ‘within tolerance level’ which I find hard to believe. I’ve spoken to Porsche GB to make a complaint and they said it cannot be fixed under warranty as the measurements were within tolerance levels. I’ve taken the car the Porsche approved Bodyshop they recommended and just got the estimate, £3.5k to replace the bonnet! I had a long chat with the guy doing the estimate and he said there was nothing on the car they could adjust, is he right? I’m so annoyed. From looking at other cars in the showroom the majority of Macans were perfectly aligned. I’m aware this is a long standing issue with Macans having aluminium bonnets and so large. Just wondering if anyone has actually had this issue rectified and do they know what was actually done? Was it an adjustable fixing or work to the bonnet? See my pictures.

C2DE7326-360A-4B87-8A39-C00009BCF635.jpeg

A32A9583-3513-442B-B4B8-DB71CC892475.jpeg

4AF369EC-A7B0-4108-B46B-711F9ACDE5BE.jpeg

F2E6DE9D-DD18-4CB1-9226-338F3A292842.jpeg

0139B027-A638-4FCB-A61B-D60CE762EBD6.jpeg

macanese

Post by macanese »

I have similar situation with my macan new 1st Dec. Madelvic very kindly posted tolerance info used in America which might be of use for you when speaking to opc and bodyshop. There is also a post of experience at Portsmouth opc and bodyshop who were able to adjust the bonnet. See recent posts under heading "Weight of Panoramic Roof". Hope this helps.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Wow that gap is huge. When the Macan was launched there were a few panel gap issues reported but have never seen gaps like that. I cannot believe that Porsche GB would say that the gaps are within tolerance. The bonnet can be adjusted as I had my third Macan bonnet adjusted as it was creaking due to mis alignment .
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

macanese wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:37 pm I have similar situation with my macan new 1st Dec. Madelvic very kindly posted tolerance info used in America which might be of use for you when speaking to opc and bodyshop. There is also a post of experience at Portsmouth opc and bodyshop who were able to adjust the bonnet. See recent posts under heading "Weight of Panoramic Roof". Hope this helps.

Thanks, I've seen that link. The measurements relate to the panel gaps as you look side on and from the top but not from the side looking forward towards the bonnet.

Its hard to argue with the OPC when they say that there is nothing they can adjust. I simply dont know about the bonnet, adjustments to counter them!
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I would say the gap on your first picture is way out of tolerance from the window trim end point even if it is “outwards” if you see what I mean. I saw your collection photos and the gaps looked fine there (albeit from a distance) has this occurred in recent weeks with usage etc or has anybody opened the bonnet other than you??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

Jon A wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:00 pm I would say the gap on your first picture is way out of tolerance from the window trim end point even if it is “outwards” if you see what I mean. I saw your collection photos and the gaps looked fine there (albeit from a distance) has this occurred in recent weeks with usage etc or has anybody opened the bonnet other than you??
I must admit, when the car is 'cold' the gaps reduce leaving 'half a panel' width of misalignment and so it doesn't look so bad and not so noticeable. I guess now I know about this I'm constantly looking at it! However after a drive when the bonnet ishot it looks like this!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Have your OPC and Porsche GB seen those photos?! :shock:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
andreas

Post by andreas »

PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:54 pm

Thanks, I've seen that link. The measurements relate to the panel gaps as you look side on and from the top but not from the side looking forward towards the bonnet.

Its hard to argue with the OPC when they say that there is nothing they can adjust. I simply dont know about the bonnet, adjustments to counter them!
The adjustment procedure for the bonnet is in the same manual, further on in the body section. Search the PDF for "front lid".

The bonnet looks dreadful in your pics; double-check the gap dimensions against the published allowances, and have another go at complaining to your OPC. If the bodyshop's solution is a new bonnet, that indicates the existing bonnet is in some way faulty. I'm surprised the car got out of the factory looking like that - maybe they're employing ex F-Pace workers!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

What does the drivers side look like ?
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

andreas wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:42 pm
PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:54 pm

The adjustment procedure for the bonnet is in the same manual, further on in the body section. Search the PDF for "front lid".

The bonnet looks dreadful in your pics; double-check the gap dimensions against the published allowances, and have another go at complaining to your OPC. If the bodyshop's solution is a new bonnet, that indicates the existing bonnet is in some way faulty. I'm surprised the car got out of the factory looking like that - maybe they're employing ex F-Pace workers!
I'd walk round with them to some of the Macans onsite and ask why yours can't look like those - its the same product right?
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose