Bonnet alignment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
macanese

Post by macanese »

My gen 3 base macan is going in to the Porsche approved bodyshop in Swindon, part of Dick Lovett group, next week for bonnet overhang adjustment to drivers side under warranty. I visited the shop manager to discuss how the work would be done and he confirmed adjustment will initially entail bonnet hinge adjustment and if further adjustment is necessary it might involve adjusting the driver door at the hinge. He said he needed the car for 2 days to complete the work. He confirmed that bonnet fitments changed a few years ago when some adjustment feature was removed from the design which he suggested now made adjustment more difficult. I will report back on the results. Note the drivers side overhang was considered wthin tolerance so will not be part of the rectification. I will be happy if they can reduce overhang to match the passenger side.

PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

macanese wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:57 am My gen 3 base macan is going in to the Porsche approved bodyshop in Swindon, part of Dick Lovett group, next week for bonnet overhang adjustment to drivers side under warranty. I visited the shop manager to discuss how the work would be done and he confirmed adjustment will initially entail bonnet hinge adjustment and if further adjustment is necessary it might involve adjusting the driver door at the hinge. He said he needed the car for 2 days to complete the work. He confirmed that bonnet fitments changed a few years ago when some adjustment feature was removed from the design which he suggested now made adjustment more difficult. I will report back on the results. Note the drivers side overhang was considered wthin tolerance so will not be part of the rectification. I will be happy if they can reduce overhang to match the passenger side.
any pictures of before?
macanese

Post by macanese »

PMS888 picture attached. I put a straight edge across gap at top of wing and measured the overlap as 4mm. 1-1.5 mm is acceptable overlap per north america workshop manual hence the adjustment arranged.

IMG_1263.JPG

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

What I don’t understand, especially after watching the Macan Production line video is how after 6 guys doing all sorts of body and paint inspection in the final run off, how it is possible to end up with this. My neighbours daughter had just purchased a £16K Kia Picanto and the bodywork and finish is outstanding. I hope Porsche get to read this forum because it really isn’t good enough for this to be happening.
Macan S MY 2023
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this one, some of the pics posted are really rather poor and surely outside of factory tolerance (perhaps it's a difficult part to profile on the latest gen cars so takes longer than it should, with the demand being so high currently and the factory trying to keep up they could be pushing them forward regardless) however the bonnet should be slightly over flush to the leading edge of the door.

If it isn't, the leading edge of the door becomes a magnet for stone chips and road rash. Normally, down the side of the car, all forward parts are slightly over flush by design to the parts directly behind them, i.e bonnet/wing to door, door to rear quarter to prevent this from happening, more so on sports cars that tend to have wider/more flared body panels. If you're getting your car adjusted, make sure it doesn't get adjusted too much to become underflush. I had an F type previously where the leading edge of the rear quarter sat proud of the door edge and it was absolutely covered in chips after 20k miles.

Source for the above - I worked for Aston Martin in a previous life. Panel gaps are great fun...
Last edited by Wotsits on Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Skyway wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:27 pm What I don’t understand, especially after watching the Macan Production line video is how after 6 guys doing all sorts of body and paint inspection in the final run off, how it is possible to end up with this. My neighbours daughter had just purchased a £16K Kia Picanto and the bodywork and finish is outstanding. I hope Porsche get to read this forum because it really isn’t good enough for this to be happening.

It seems from some comments above that the gaps become more obvious when the engine is warmed up, so the gaps may be less obvious if the ‘quality control’ is undertaken when the engine/car is cold...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:02 pm
Skyway wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:27 pm What I don’t understand, especially after watching the Macan Production line video is how after 6 guys doing all sorts of body and paint inspection in the final run off, how it is possible to end up with this. My neighbours daughter had just purchased a £16K Kia Picanto and the bodywork and finish is outstanding. I hope Porsche get to read this forum because it really isn’t good enough for this to be happening.

It seems from some comments above that the gaps become more obvious when the engine is warmed up, so the gaps may be less obvious if the ‘quality control’ is undertaken when the engine/car is cold...
If that were the case though wouldn’t a Porsche quality control engineer understand where the start point should be so as not to do this? Doesn't aluminium expand by some kind of microscopic amount almost unnoticeable to the human eye?
Macan S MY 2023
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Earlier in this thread, someone who knows more than me posted something about how much aluminium does expand as it heats up. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

I can't understand after 7 years why this would still be a problem - in an off the cuff chat with the Sales Manager at my OPC, he did say 'there is an issue ...'
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

The design of the bonnet was clever ... maybe a bit too clever ...
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose