Bonnet alignment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GTB

Post by GTB »

Really interesting thread this and if the gap width isnt there on collection you couldnt complain, Im inclined to think when my car is ever delivered is to take pics on handover then again later should there be an issue so I have some reference to go back to OPC with.

Not sure what the exact width is of a Macan bonnet? and I can see there is a far greater overhang but the bonnet on my Current E Class Merc is approx 1616mm and is all aluminium, reason I know that bloody seagull one day dropped a large quarz pebble from my neighbours garden slap bang in the middle of my bonnet thinking it was dropping an egg to eat and left a large deep score in the bonnet that had to be sorted and resprayed.

Pic below of my car and in the four years of ownership the gaps have never moved as far as I can see infact gap is far smaller than those in the Macan. I know the bonnet hinges and support framework quite substantial so is that why I havent seen the movement with expansion?

For the cost of the Macan not something I would be happy with for sure.

IMG_20170901_1338435.jpg

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 pm Reference the OP on this topic and the subsequent photos of the misalignment issues. I would not accept a brand new car, let alone a Macan with these issues. Thse are poor manufacturing, lack factory inspection & correction and unacceptable PDI by the supplying OPC.

Here are some close up photos of my Gen2 GTS with what i consider to be acceptable gaps.

2022-01-06 11.33.12.jpg2022-01-06 11.33.03.jpg2022-01-06 11.32.44.jpg2022-01-06 11.32.18.jpg
Those alignments look perfect to me on these pics. Nice to see after all the others. If the perfection is always there when cold then I guess I’d be satisfied with that. How does yours look Steve after a run?
Macan S MY 2023
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

GTB wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:43 pm Really interesting thread this and if the gap width isnt there on collection you couldnt complain, Im inclined to think when my car is ever delivered is to take pics on handover then again later should there be an issue so I have some reference to go back to OPC with.

Not sure what the exact width is of a Macan bonnet? and I can see there is a far greater overhang but the bonnet on my Current E Class Merc is approx 1616mm and is all aluminium, reason I know that bloody seagull one day dropped a large quarz pebble from my neighbours garden slap bang in the middle of my bonnet thinking it was dropping an egg to eat and left a large deep score in the bonnet that had to be sorted and resprayed.

Pic below of my car and in the four years of ownership the gaps have never moved as far as I can see infact gap is far smaller than those in the Macan. I know the bonnet hinges and support framework quite substantial so is that why I havent seen the movement with expansion?

For the cost of the Macan not something I would be happy with for sure.

IMG_20170901_1338435.jpg

Cheers GTB
I've been told the reason why the Macan bonnet is having this issue is not due to it being made of aluminium but due to its large size and unique clam shell design. The bonnet coves over the sides and also wraps around the headlights. The Merc's bonnet is in keeping with the 'traditional' design of most bonnets in the car industry and hence no issues experienced. However you would expect a robot manufacturing the Macan bonnet would be perfect each time. If you see the online video regarding the Macan production with the guy hammering the roof line to iron out the micro-imperfections, it makes you laugh when you see how they've allowed the bonnet to be out of alignment. Following my recent assessment at 2 OPC, they both implied the 'outward' gap is a known issue but obviously Porsche have set the tolerance levels to such a margin that all are 'within tolerance' or otherwise they would face a mountain of claims!
Last edited by PMS888 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andreas

Post by andreas »

PMS888 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:39 pm I've been told the reason why the Macan bonnet is having this issue is not due to it being made of aluminium but due to its large size and unique clam shell design. The bonnet coves over the sides and also wraps around the headlights. The Merc's bonnet is in keeping with the 'traditional' design of most bonnets in the car industry and hence no issues experienced. However you would expect a robot manufacturing the Macan bonnet would be perfect each time. If you see the video online regarding the Macan production with the guy hammering the roof line to iron out the micro-imperfections, it makes you laugh when you see how they'll allowed the bonnet to be out of alignment. Following my recent assessment at 2 OPC, they both implied the 'outward' gap is a known issue but obviously Porsche have set the tolerance levels to such a margin that all are 'within tolerance' or otherwise they would face a mountain of claims!
But the basic shape of the bonnet has been the same for some years, and earlier cars seem to be OK. My 4 year old car is fine. Has the manufacturing process perhaps been changed? Someone said the hinges are a new design, but that will only affect adjustability, not the inherent stabilty of the bonnet's shape.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
GTB

Post by GTB »

andreas wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:48 pm
PMS888 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:39 pm I've been told the reason why the Macan bonnet is having this issue is not due to it being made of aluminium but due to its large size and unique clam shell design. The bonnet coves over the sides and also wraps around the headlights. The Merc's bonnet is in keeping with the 'traditional' design of most bonnets in the car industry and hence no issues experienced. However you would expect a robot manufacturing the Macan bonnet would be perfect each time. If you see the video online regarding the Macan production with the guy hammering the roof line to iron out the micro-imperfections, it makes you laugh when you see how they'll allowed the bonnet to be out of alignment. Following my recent assessment at 2 OPC, they both implied the 'outward' gap is a known issue but obviously Porsche have set the tolerance levels to such a margin that all are 'within tolerance' or otherwise they would face a mountain of claims!
But the basic shape of the bonnet has been the same for some years, and earlier cars seem to be OK. My 4 year old car is fine. Has the manufacturing process perhaps been changed? Someone said the hinges are a new design, but that will only affect adjustability, not the inherent stabilty of the bonnet's shape.
What about the underside of the bonnet on the strengthening/support members, be good to see if there is a diffrence on the underside between Gen1, 2 and 3 modles then.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Skyway wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:51 pm
SAC1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 pm Reference the OP on this topic and the subsequent photos of the misalignment issues. I would not accept a brand new car, let alone a Macan with these issues. Thse are poor manufacturing, lack factory inspection & correction and unacceptable PDI by the supplying OPC.

Here are some close up photos of my Gen2 GTS with what i consider to be acceptable gaps.

2022-01-06 11.33.12.jpg2022-01-06 11.33.03.jpg2022-01-06 11.32.44.jpg2022-01-06 11.32.18.jpg
Those alignments look perfect to me on these pics. Nice to see after all the others. If the perfection is always there when cold then I guess I’d be satisfied with that. How does yours look Steve after a run?
Sorry for the delay, but been waiting to do a long, dry weather, fast journey and in daylight!

Here is a photo of the n/s immediately at the end of the journey and when therefore the engine bay hot with oil temp at 96C.

20220111_161305.jpg

Maybe a mm or 2 in it between cold and hot, but no more.

20220111_161256.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
andreas

Post by andreas »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pm Sorry for the delay, but been waiting to do a long, dry weather, fast journey and in daylight!

Here is a photo of the n/s immediately at the end of the journey and when therefore the engine bay hot with oil temp at 96C.
Nothing seriously amiss there.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

andreas wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:04 pm
SAC1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pm Sorry for the delay, but been waiting to do a long, dry weather, fast journey and in daylight!

Nothing seriously amiss there.
Definitely not. Just wanting to show that not all of this decades bonnets are a poor fit.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Great to see
Macan S MY 2023
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

The maximum amount the bonnet can stick out above the wing is 1mm. See this post, F41_1 Y dimension

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10896
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver