Bonnet alignment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:14 pm
I picked up my new S in September and a few weeks later it came to my attention that my bonnet wasn’t fully aligned (see pictures). The defect is exacerbated (gap increases) after a drive when the bonnet heats up. I’ve been to my OPC (Sheffield) twice about this and each time after taking the car in they said the bonnet and gap measurements were ‘within tolerance level’ which I find hard to believe. I’ve spoken to Porsche GB to make a complaint and they said it cannot be fixed under warranty as the measurements were within tolerance levels. I’ve taken the car the Porsche approved Bodyshop they recommended and just got the estimate, £3.5k to replace the bonnet! I had a long chat with the guy doing the estimate and he said there was nothing on the car they could adjust, is he right? I’m so annoyed. From looking at other cars in the showroom the majority of Macans were perfectly aligned. I’m aware this is a long standing issue with Macans having aluminium bonnets and so large. Just wondering if anyone has actually had this issue rectified and do they know what was actually done? Was it an adjustable fixing or work to the bonnet? See my pictures.
A couple of thoughts: you 've only shown pictures of the passenger side of your car. What about the driver's side? If the bonnet is misaligned then you would expect to see negative gaps on the opposite side of the car.

You say that things look worse when the car has been running. This would seem to indicate the bonnet is deforming. The Macan bonnet is a very large and complicated single pressing attached to the rest of the car via two hinges. Some people with misaligned bonnets on their car have managed to get them realigned at an approved Porsche repair shop but the one you visited seems to rule that out.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:28 pm Have your OPC and Porsche GB seen those photos?! :shock:

Yes they both have seen them. The OPC says they understand it looks unsightly but they are powerless to take it further as all the measurements are within acceptable levels. I've even taken to the bodyshop on advice from Porsche GB. They said there is nothing to adjust and will need a new bonnet to rectify it. Price £3.5k for bonnet, paint and fitment. No way am I paying for this as its clearly and design and manufacturing issue. Porsche GB said it cant be done under warranty as the measurements are within acceptable limits! :evil:
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

mueslibrown wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:48 pm
andreas wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:42 pm
PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:54 pm

Thanks, I've seen that link. The measurements relate to the panel gaps as you look side on and from the top but not from the side looking forward towards the bonnet.

Its hard to argue with the OPC when they say that there is nothing they can adjust. I simply dont know about the bonnet, adjustments to counter them!
The adjustment procedure for the bonnet is in the same manual, further on in the body section. Search the PDF for "front lid".

The bonnet looks dreadful in your pics; double-check the gap dimensions against the published allowances, and have another go at complaining to your OPC. If the bodyshop's solution is a new bonnet, that indicates the existing bonnet is in some way faulty. I'm surprised the car got out of the factory looking like that - maybe they're employing ex F-Pace workers!
I'd walk round with them to some of the Macans onsite and ask why yours can't look like those - its the same product right?
I did that and got a shrug of the shoulders and a blank look. Then went on to say its made of aluminium, 1 big sheet, expands with heat, blah blah blah, at which point I said, but they use robots to make the chassis and bodywork, it should be perfect each time?! Again, another blank look!
Last edited by PMS888 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

On-Track wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:28 pm
PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:14 pm
I picked up my new S in September and a few weeks later it came to my attention that my bonnet wasn’t fully aligned (see pictures). The defect is exacerbated (gap increases) after a drive when the bonnet heats up. I’ve been to my OPC (Sheffield) twice about this and each time after taking the car in they said the bonnet and gap measurements were ‘within tolerance level’ which I find hard to believe. I’ve spoken to Porsche GB to make a complaint and they said it cannot be fixed under warranty as the measurements were within tolerance levels. I’ve taken the car the Porsche approved Bodyshop they recommended and just got the estimate, £3.5k to replace the bonnet! I had a long chat with the guy doing the estimate and he said there was nothing on the car they could adjust, is he right? I’m so annoyed. From looking at other cars in the showroom the majority of Macans were perfectly aligned. I’m aware this is a long standing issue with Macans having aluminium bonnets and so large. Just wondering if anyone has actually had this issue rectified and do they know what was actually done? Was it an adjustable fixing or work to the bonnet? See my pictures.
A couple of thoughts: you 've only shown pictures of the passenger side of your car. What about the driver's side? If the bonnet is misaligned then you would expect to see negative gaps on the opposite side of the car.

You say that things look worse when the car has been running. This would seem to indicate the bonnet is deforming. The Macan bonnet is a very large and complicated single pressing attached to the rest of the car via two hinges. Some people with misaligned bonnets on their car have managed to get them realigned at an approved Porsche repair shop but the one you visited seems to rule that out.
Thanks for your comments. The defect is less on the drivers side. I understand the bonnet will expand with heat but when you’re starting with a defect to begin with the heat expansion just amplifies it.

5B910002-9D97-4362-AEA1-6A9221AAC048.jpeg

55288100-0B5E-4A28-B322-5C4AD63CBA19.jpeg

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Doesnt seem to fit well either side !

Mine is perfect on both sides when cold, and can't say i've noticed it any different when hot - if it was going to 'warp' it would have done in last 5 years.

I'd ask another OPC or approved bodyshop to take a look - if no other cars on site are like it then why should you accept it - i bet if it was their showroom model they'd be doing something about it. Perhaps you should start an informal conversation with the supplying OPC about rejecting as not of satisfactory quality
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

Percymon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:05 pm Doesnt seem to fit well either side !

Mine is perfect on both sides when cold, and can't say i've noticed it any different when hot - if it was going to 'warp' it would have done in last 5 years.

I'd ask another OPC or approved bodyshop to take a look - if no other cars on site are like it then why should you accept it - i bet if it was their showroom model they'd be doing something about it. Perhaps you should start an informal conversation with the supplying OPC about rejecting as not of satisfactory quality
I've got the car booked in with another OPC for a second opinion.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:26 pm I've got the car booked in with another OPC for a second opinion.
Obviously you'll let us know how that goes, I may well follow you to try and get my rear lights de-bugged. When's your appointment? Sadly Sheffield OPC seems to be bottom of the heap.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

Neil1911 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:40 pm
PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:26 pm I've got the car booked in with another OPC for a second opinion.
Obviously you'll let us know how that goes, I may well follow you to try and get my rear lights de-bugged. When's your appointment? Sadly Sheffield OPC seems to be bottom of the heap.
Its on 16th dec with Leeds OPC.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Good luck, although Leeds owned by JCT600, as is Sheffield, might that be a problem? Hull or Wilmslow might take a tad longer but are run by different companies (Listers and Stratstone, respectively).
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

The only Porsche approved body shop that I would consult is Chartwell in Derby, they are Porsche approved aluminium approved repairers. I have seen several restorations that they have done, their work is stunning. They have just done a sizeable repair on my mates Taycan after having a meeting with a deer! Really top job, I can’t tell it’s been repaired, which is as it should be. My own personal experience of OPC Leeds body shop is poor ( not something that I will discuss on a forum )
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.