Bonnet alignment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Toddie wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:17 pm The only Porsche approved body shop that I would consult is Chartwell in Derby, they are Porsche approved aluminium approved repairers. I have seen several restorations that they have done, their work is stunning. They have just done a sizeable repair on my mates Taycan after having a meeting with a deer! Really top job, I can’t tell it’s been repaired, which is as it should be. My own personal experience of OPC Leeds body shop is poor ( not something that I will discuss on a forum )
Living near Derby I have used Chartwell on numerous occasions over the years and I can fully endorse Toddie’s comments. They resprayed a previous BM of mine to such a high standard it rather showed up the previous factory sprayed components!
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

Toddie wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:17 pm The only Porsche approved body shop that I would consult is Chartwell in Derby, they are Porsche approved aluminium approved repairers. I have seen several restorations that they have done, their work is stunning. They have just done a sizeable repair on my mates Taycan after having a meeting with a deer! Really top job, I can’t tell it’s been repaired, which is as it should be. My own personal experience of OPC Leeds body shop is poor ( not something that I will discuss on a forum )
I have a plan A, B and C.

Leeds OPC is plan B.

Plan C will be to take it back to the OPC where I brought it from West London. Being owned by Porsche GB might be better but is 180 miles away!
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

9125B5DC-A1B3-492F-A3D4-398CD75DD1D9.jpeg

1D1D686B-29CC-449C-90B1-2741F4209E69.jpeg

I had the same issue on my Gen 3 I picked up last month from Reading OPC. They booked it in for 2 days without question, gave me a loan car and sorted the issue so that it now looks as it should. They did say it could expand under heat but it has not changed since they resolved the issue. This was a new car and they had no problem resolving it. Pictures posted before it was sorted close up and after from a distance. Hope this helps.Image[/img]

BAC6CAE6-32B8-4485-8980-D3FF7E5B5228.jpeg

3A268162-6C23-4CF7-8DB6-390664A9CFB9.jpeg

PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

Yes it looks like you’ve got an identical issue. Wow, amazing, so it can be adjusted. Do you know what they did exactly? Can’t believe they’re saying I need a new bonnet!
Last edited by PMS888 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

Dewi wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 pm 9125B5DC-A1B3-492F-A3D4-398CD75DD1D9.jpeg1D1D686B-29CC-449C-90B1-2741F4209E69.jpegI had the same issue on my Gen 3 I picked up last month from Reading OPC. They booked it in for 2 days without question, gave me a loan car and sorted the issue so that it now looks as it should. They did say it could expand under heat but it has not changed since they resolved the issue. This was a new car and they had no problem resolving it. Pictures posted before it was sorted close up and after from a distance. Hope this helps.Image[/img]
That’s exactly what mine looked like after delivery, so I complained and Perth OPC agreed it was a problem that should be sorted. They stated that it would need to go to Glasgow to be sorted and I would be without the car for at least 4/5 days.
This is where the fun started as I’d travelled from North Wales to pick up the car (315 miles) and was travelling back home the day after pick up. So they arranged for me to get it sorted at an official Porsche repair facility in Bolton.

It took them around an hour to do mine, but it still doesn’t look massively better, as it just looks like the initial misalignment on the passenger side has now been evenly distributed across both sides.

I’d post some photos, but they don’t seem to load 🤔
Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I had my second Macan repaired by Chartwell ( courtesy of Admiral) when I reversed into my neighbour’s car. The repair was superb and my car was collected and returned by covered trailer.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:14 pm I apologies if this topic has been discussed before but I feel I need to vent and ask you all for any advice or comments. I can see a few members have brought this matter up in recent months so thought it would be useful for them also to discuss this.
I picked up my new S in September and a few weeks later it came to my attention that my bonnet wasn’t fully aligned (see pictures). The defect is exacerbated (gap increases) after a drive when the bonnet heats up. I’ve been to my OPC (Sheffield) twice about this and each time after taking the car in they said the bonnet and gap measurements were ‘within tolerance level’ which I find hard to believe. I’ve spoken to Porsche GB to make a complaint and they said it cannot be fixed under warranty as the measurements were within tolerance levels. I’ve taken the car the Porsche approved Bodyshop they recommended and just got the estimate, £3.5k to replace the bonnet! I had a long chat with the guy doing the estimate and he said there was nothing on the car they could adjust, is he right? I’m so annoyed. From looking at other cars in the showroom the majority of Macans were perfectly aligned. I’m aware this is a long standing issue with Macans having aluminium bonnets and so large. Just wondering if anyone has actually had this issue rectified and do they know what was actually done? Was it an adjustable fixing or work to the bonnet? See my pictures.
Hi, mine does exactly the same. As soon as I got it home following collection in October I noticed the gap on the passenger side looked more than it should. I took a photo and sent it to my OPC who said it looked large. Then the next day when cold it shrunk back so it was ok. I’ve noticed this keeps happening and just assumed they all did it. Let us know how you get on.
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:45 pm
On-Track wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:28 pm
PMS888 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:14 pm
I picked up my new S in September and a few weeks later it came to my attention that my bonnet wasn’t fully aligned (see pictures). The defect is exacerbated (gap increases) after a drive when the bonnet heats up. I’ve been to my OPC (Sheffield) twice about this and each time after taking the car in they said the bonnet and gap measurements were ‘within tolerance level’ which I find hard to believe. I’ve spoken to Porsche GB to make a complaint and they said it cannot be fixed under warranty as the measurements were within tolerance levels. I’ve taken the car the Porsche approved Bodyshop they recommended and just got the estimate, £3.5k to replace the bonnet! I had a long chat with the guy doing the estimate and he said there was nothing on the car they could adjust, is he right? I’m so annoyed. From looking at other cars in the showroom the majority of Macans were perfectly aligned. I’m aware this is a long standing issue with Macans having aluminium bonnets and so large. Just wondering if anyone has actually had this issue rectified and do they know what was actually done? Was it an adjustable fixing or work to the bonnet? See my pictures.
A couple of thoughts: you 've only shown pictures of the passenger side of your car. What about the driver's side? If the bonnet is misaligned then you would expect to see negative gaps on the opposite side of the car.

You say that things look worse when the car has been running. This would seem to indicate the bonnet is deforming. The Macan bonnet is a very large and complicated single pressing attached to the rest of the car via two hinges. Some people with misaligned bonnets on their car have managed to get them realigned at an approved Porsche repair shop but the one you visited seems to rule that out.
Thanks for your comments. The defect is less on the drivers side. I understand the bonnet will expand with heat but when you’re starting with a defect to begin with the heat expansion just amplifies it.
Apologies for coming in late but personally I would reject the car immediately and refuse to have it back until fixed. I had a similar experience with Audi that with hindsight I should have rejected that ended up successfully going through Country Court (only balance of probability) but was a painful experience.
I would also similarly ensure that part of the car, even if it's only couple of grand, is paid for with a credit card. The SE may well fight this nut if you have then the whole purchase is covered by the Consumer Credit Act and the credit card company is equally responsible for the purchase. A very powerful tool.
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

The SE is aware of the CC Act and what it gives you that's why they will do everything they can(sometimes) to discourage you
andreas

Post by andreas »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 am
I would also similarly ensure that part of the car, even if it's only couple of grand, is paid for with a credit card. The SE may well fight this nut if you have then the whole purchase is covered by the Consumer Credit Act and the credit card company is equally responsible for the purchase. A very powerful tool.
As I understand it, the Section 75 provision only covers purchases of goods to a max value of £30K.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)