Bonnet alignment

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GTB

Post by GTB »

All materials expand/contract based on temperature changes some of course far greater than others there is a linnear coefficient and a volume coefficient depending on what you are wanting to know. Values for Aluminium on the linear expansion side are on average an expansion of approx 23 micrometers per one Deg C temp change on a section of Aluminium 1M in length.
There will of course be other factors such as any other material mixed with the Aluminium so diffrent alloys will have diffrent coefficient numbers, also any strengthening supports on the full bonnet panel size etc so it expands equally, by reading and keeping an eye on the thread one side of the car is worse than the other so is there a far greater heat source on that side? but has there been tweaks made or alterations or diffrent parts used in the whole hinging mechanism that is allowing this to be more apparant than in earlier versions?

Hopefully somebody else on the forum may have a better engineering thought process on this but on some of the photos the diffrence is certainly enough that if my car was like it would be challenging it for sure.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0

Toddie

Post by Toddie »

As I understand it, on the gen 2 Macan, Porsche removed some adjusters that were previously there, no doubt implemented by some bean counter, and that’s when the problems started. As I see it is a problem of their own making, it was okay so let’s alter the adjustment range so it’s not! WTF
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Also, the Mini has used this type of bonnet for years and I don’t believe there have been issues with that vehicle. They just need to fix it and quickly.
Macan S MY 2023
Lemiche

Post by Lemiche »

I have been awake since the early hours this morning after discovering that my new Macan is also suffering from bonnet alignment problems exactly the same as mentioned in the chat and photos. Took my new car for a run yesterday, parked it in the garage and noticed that the passenger side alignment (and to a lesser extent the driver’s side ) were considerably ‘out’.
I had a look to see if the alignment could be altered by adjustment but my conclusion was that it would, as has already been mentioned, only re-adjust the gapping to make both sides look the same,but still ‘out’.
Mine looks as bad as the worst photo I have seen on the forum and funnily enough, when I viewed the dealership demo car before mine arrived, I took a mental note of the bonnet alignment on that car and convinced myself that hopefully my car would not arrive in the same state - little did I know it would be worse!
It does seem to be worse as heat takes effect but Porsche must know about this by now. If you are a panel gap freak ( like me), this sort of issue burns a hole in your mental state worse than an accidental dent in the paintwork. All you can see is the issue.
To me, the only way this can be resolved is not by getting a replacement bonnet which is only likely to be the same as the defective one with all the hassle of paint matching etc, but to have a body shop bend the existing bonnet to take up a better alignment when it’s warm and/or, at the same time, adjusting the bump stops accordingly.
Watch this space for my update on my solution.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

It’s bad because something like this takes away the enjoyment. I am going to have to revisit the OPC and take another look at their demonstrator. There’s no way I’ll be continuing with the purchase if this issue prevails.

Are there recent Gen 3 owners on here that can post pictures of their bonnets (side view)? It’d be good to get a feel of whether it’s every car now.
Macan S MY 2023
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

Lemiche wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:56 am I have been awake since the early hours this morning after discovering that my new Macan is also suffering from bonnet alignment problems exactly the same as mentioned in the chat and photos. Took my new car for a run yesterday, parked it in the garage and noticed that the passenger side alignment (and to a lesser extent the driver’s side ) were considerably ‘out’.
I had a look to see if the alignment could be altered by adjustment but my conclusion was that it would, as has already been mentioned, only re-adjust the gapping to make both sides look the same,but still ‘out’.
Mine looks as bad as the worst photo I have seen on the forum and funnily enough, when I viewed the dealership demo car before mine arrived, I took a mental note of the bonnet alignment on that car and convinced myself that hopefully my car would not arrive in the same state - little did I know it would be worse!
It does seem to be worse as heat takes effect but Porsche must know about this by now. If you are a panel gap freak ( like me), this sort of issue burns a hole in your mental state worse than an accidental dent in the paintwork. All you can see is the issue.
To me, the only way this can be resolved is not by getting a replacement bonnet which is only likely to be the same as the defective one with all the hassle of paint matching etc, but to have a body shop bend the existing bonnet to take up a better alignment when it’s warm and/or, at the same time, adjusting the bump stops accordingly.
Watch this space for my update on my solution.
The problem with any form of bending is that it might align better when warm but will then be out when hot. Mine when cold is ok but as soon as it warms up it flares out. My is an Oct 21 Gen 2 GTS. They gave me a base 20 plate Macan loaner and it didn’t budge one bit.
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

I don't specifically know as I have not seen 'inside' a ;ater car but I suspect that the micrometric, vertical, adjusters next to the cantilever hinges have gone. The design of the hinge allows a degree of movement other than that specifically required for opening and closing the lid.
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

bennachie wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:50 am I don't specifically know as I have not seen 'inside' a ;ater car but I suspect that the micrometric, vertical, adjusters next to the cantilever hinges have gone. The design of the hinge allows a degree of movement other than that specifically required for opening and closing the lid.
Have you a picture of these so those with later models can check?
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Reference the OP on this topic and the subsequent photos of the misalignment issues. I would not accept a brand new car, let alone a Macan with these issues. Thse are poor manufacturing, lack factory inspection & correction and unacceptable PDI by the supplying OPC.

Here are some close up photos of my Gen2 GTS with what i consider to be acceptable gaps.

2022-01-06 11.33.12.jpg

2022-01-06 11.33.03.jpg

2022-01-06 11.32.44.jpg

2022-01-06 11.32.18.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 pm Reference the OP on this topic and the subsequent photos of the misalignment issues. I would not accept a brand new car, let alone a Macan with these issues. Thse are poor manufacturing, lack factory inspection & correction and unacceptable PDI by the supplying OPC.

Here are some close up photos of my Gen2 GTS with what i consider to be acceptable gaps.

2022-01-06 11.33.12.jpg2022-01-06 11.33.03.jpg2022-01-06 11.32.44.jpg2022-01-06 11.32.18.jpg
I don’t disagree that it’s not acceptable but when it’s not there when you collect the car and then only appears when warmed up and then disappears when back to cold it’s pretty difficult to not accept it.
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44