Electric??

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Isleaiw wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:16 pm
Miopyk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:09 pm Going back on subject.

One of my neighbours has just taken delivery of a Tesla, I'm not sure which model, and it will be interesting to get a first hand view from him on his experience with it over the next few months.
An acquaintance of mine is a real petrol head - has had C63s, 340iT, S4, etc etc and currently has a Caterham 420. But his other car is now a Tesla Model 3 - and not even the performance version, the long range. His view after driving that for over 12 months - cant see himself going back to ICE for his daily.

We all have a view on electric - including me, I don't have one as I cant see one that will cart the dog and do my long journeys as well as my RS4 for similar outlay, I can see lots that would do as a station and supermarket car but compared to my 27k mile, 6 year old Mini, they aren't cost effective. However, I am much more prepared to listen to those that have had one and lived with it than the naysayers who probably would still be arguing the world was flat if we went back a few centuries....
I'm the same. Right now electric is not right for me but I do have an interest to see how things progress in the next few years and might be tempted to get an electric Macan at some point. I did look at a Tesla in the US 3-4 years ago but didn't like the interior and the build quality of the one on display was comparatively poor to the Macan I had at the time. The new one my neighbour has just got seems ok but I've not had a chance to have a proper look at it yet.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Miopyk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:59 am
Miopyk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:09 pm Going back on subject.

One of my neighbours has just taken delivery of a Tesla, I'm not sure which model, and it will be interesting to get a first hand view from him on his experience with it over the next few months.
An acquaintance of mine is a real petrol head - has had C63s, 340iT, S4, etc etc and currently has a Caterham 420. But his other car is now a Tesla Model 3 - and not even the performance version, the long range. His view after driving that for over 12 months - cant see himself going back to ICE for his daily.

We all have a view on electric - including me, I don't have one as I cant see one that will cart the dog and do my long journeys as well as my RS4 for similar outlay, I can see lots that would do as a station and supermarket car but compared to my 27k mile, 6 year old Mini, they aren't cost effective. However, I am much more prepared to listen to those that have had one and lived with it than the naysayers who probably would still be arguing the world was flat if we went back a few centuries....
I'm the same. Right now electric is not right for me but I do have an interest to see how things progress in the next few years and might be tempted to get an electric Macan at some point. I did look at a Tesla in the US 3-4 years ago but didn't like the interior and the build quality of the one on display was comparatively poor to the Macan I had at the time. The new one my neighbour has just got seems ok but I've not had a chance to have a proper look at it yet.
Build quality was definitely still an issue with Model 3 until they moved production of RH models to their Chinese factory. It was mainly poor exterior panel fitting tolerances, which could be fixed quite easily at your local Tesla garage, but quite irritating. There is no meaningful PDI at Tesla - you basically do it yourself and report back any issues! But the Chinese built ones are widely reported to be very well built and all UK variants in the last 12 months fall into that category. So I would expect your neighbour's car to be fine if bought in 2021. My wife's Model 3 was one of the last US built cars and it did have some minor panel fit issues that I complained about. Bonnet fit, boot fit, driver's side front wing fit were all slightly off. One of the side cameras was dead on arrival too. Had to spend a couple of days in the shop to correct. Now it's done 12k miles without a fault. It's a really nice car to live with as a daily and as fast as f*** when you want it to be and as tame as a kitten when you don't. The interior tech all works flawlessly on this model too. My older Model X has always been a bit buggy on the software side and I'm too cheap to upgrade to the latest chipset ($1500). But let's hear how it goes from your neighbour.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Peteski wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:25 pm

Build quality was definitely still an issue with Model 3 until they moved production of RH models to their Chinese factory. It was mainly poor exterior panel fitting tolerances, which could be fixed quite easily at your local Tesla garage, but quite irritating. There is no meaningful PDI at Tesla - you basically do it yourself and report back any issues! But the Chinese built ones are widely reported to be very well built and all UK variants in the last 12 months fall into that category. So I would expect your neighbour's car to be fine if bought in 2021. My wife's Model 3 was one of the last US built cars and it did have some minor panel fit issues that I complained about. Bonnet fit, boot fit, driver's side front wing fit were all slightly off. One of the side cameras was dead on arrival too. Had to spend a couple of days in the shop to correct. Now it's done 12k miles without a fault. It's a really nice car to live with as a daily and as fast as f*** when you want it to be and as tame as a kitten when you don't. The interior tech all works flawlessly on this model too. My older Model X has always been a bit buggy on the software side and I'm too cheap to upgrade to the latest chipset ($1500). But let's hear how it goes from your neighbour.
See, there you go, if you try really hard you can post some sensible comments. Just stop trying to hammer your views into people, accept that others my have differing opinions and you'll find people a lot more appreciative of what you have to say.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Miopyk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:09 pm
Peteski wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:25 pm

See, there you go, if you try really hard you can post some sensible comments. Just stop trying to hammer your views into people, accept that others my have differing opinions and you'll find people a lot more appreciative of what you have to say.
????
To me that was the first post from Peteski that came across as well reasoned and informative. No element of ramming it down our throat.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
pmg

Post by pmg »

And when EU Tesslas get sourced from the Berlin factory (after we would not give them enough subsidies) they will have German quality and peace will be restored to the forum. ;) ;) ;)
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

We’ve travelled to Kent this weekend from Wiltshire via Uxbridge - 320 round trip. Set off at 7, stopped at Reading services for breakfast - Gridserve at 100kwh gave me 60 miles in the 25 minutes we’d stopped….all chargers free
We then stopped at Maidstone services - 30 minutes at 105kwh (started at 153 but dropped back to 105) - all chargers free - coffee and comfort break…all fuelled up for journey home

There was a time when I’s want to take this journey without a stop…but that urgency has left me now and I much prefer taking it leisurely

So, it works for us, but understand why it’s not for everyone
Macan
Taycan Turbo
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

Has Peterski left us?
Macan
Taycan Turbo
pmg

Post by pmg »

neilj007 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:34 pm Has Peterski left us?
Yes. his past posts showing as a deleted user
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

neilj007 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:33 pm We’ve travelled to Kent this weekend from Wiltshire via Uxbridge - 320 round trip. Set off at 7, stopped at Reading services for breakfast - Gridserve at 100kwh gave me 60 miles in the 25 minutes we’d stopped….all chargers free
We then stopped at Maidstone services - 30 minutes at 105kwh (started at 153 but dropped back to 105) - all chargers free - coffee and comfort break…all fuelled up for journey home

There was a time when I’s want to take this journey without a stop…but that urgency has left me now and I much prefer taking it leisurely

So, it works for us, but understand why it’s not for everyone
I absolutely love the Taycan CT and would probably put up with stopping more regularly than other EV’s just because of the way it looks and drives. I would be interested to know what the actual range was on full charge for this trip - presumably in the cold and wet etc??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

For me personally, I do a 100 mile round trip once or twice a week. A Tesla would work perfectly. The problem is that although it makes no economical sense, I wanted an ICE. My 2 Porsches have looked great, sounded great and bring considerable joy. Peteski couldn’t accept that not all decisions are purely economic ones and so he proceeded to tell everyone they were making bad decisions. For me I lost all respect when he started telling us all that Teslas were great looking. Even Stevie Wonder could tell you that the X is one of the most hideous cars out there and that Teslas aren’t exactly head turners. Ultimately if you’ve got yourself a £90k hideous looking Tesla X you’re going to tell yourself it’s great no matter what.

There are many of us on here for whom electric does make sense and we may well end up with one in the next few years, but we don’t want one now for a plethora of reasons. I have 2 electric vehicles at the moment and they do a great job running around locally. But they are very poor on the motorway, the range plummets when it’s cold and although the mini is awesome for whizzing around local streets, it’s very limited.
The Taycan is a stunning looking car and so if I was spending £100k on electric I’d rather a shorter range Porsche than a longer range Tesla. I don’t care if Tesla tech is better, I value the emotional attachment as well. But the market is evolving rapidly and before going electric on my main vehicle i’d like to wait a bit and see how that market does evolve. Sadly Peteski seemed unable to see this as anything other than a dinosaur view and anti-Tesla.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )