Final payment for car

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

MrBaozi wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:47 am I have no issues paying a few days in advance. As someone else has said it's either Porsche GB or a franchise whose group is probably floated on the London stock exchange that you're giving your money to.

Ringing your bank in advance doesn't always go to plan.
Then I’d want to see the car in advance too. Good luck trying to get your money back on a rejected car already paid for.
Macan S MY 2023

dpg123

Post by dpg123 »

Make sure you call the dealer and confirm all the details before paying anything. NEVER pay on the basis of an email request without verifying. It might also be worth sending £1 across first and checking with the dealer it was safely received before sending the rest to the same account.

A friend of mine lost £110k when they transferred a deposit for a house to the solicitor. Turns out their email had been hacked and they lost the lot!
Current ride: 2015 Macan Turbo and 2004 Boxster S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I actually paid for mine via switch about a week before the Macan arrived.

I wasn't really 100% happy at the time (I would normally just pay on the day of collection) but it was all fine and my Macan was perfect :D :D :D
andreas

Post by andreas »

MacanSman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:49 am
In reality, the car will probably be spot on as it should be on collection, and if not, don't take ownership until the issue is sorted.
If you've already paid for it, you already own it!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Skyway wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 pm
Miopyk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 pm I paid up front for my Boxster 2 days before collection in October on the basis that if there were any issues I'd refuse delivery until rectified. The car was perfect :)
Personally, even on this basis I wouldn’t do it, even if it meant inspecting one day and paying for then collecting 2 days later. Call me OCD, but I also take a paint thickness gauge ( which do work on aluminium btw ) to ensure there isn’t an area that measures bad. I once detected on a Mini that the bonnet was 4 times the paint thickness of the rest of the car only to discover it had been repaired post transit.
Ok, your OCD beats my OCD :lol:
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

dpg123 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:16 am Make sure you call the dealer and confirm all the details before paying anything. NEVER pay on the basis of an email request without verifying. It might also be worth sending £1 across first and checking with the dealer it was safely received before sending the rest to the same account.

A friend of mine lost £110k when they transferred a deposit for a house to the solicitor. Turns out their email had been hacked and they lost the lot!
It's a lot safer today.

When you add a new payee to your bank beneficiaries list they run a check on the account name. Now the likelyhood of the scammers having set up an account in a legitimate business name is very remote and would give you the right of a refund from the bank.

I locked my order last week and have received an email detailing the process for payment , registration and collection. I am happy that the sending email address is valid and that the bank details are too.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Miopyk wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:52 am
Skyway wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 pm
Miopyk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 pm I paid up front for my Boxster 2 days before collection in October on the basis that if there were any issues I'd refuse delivery until rectified. The car was perfect :)
Personally, even on this basis I wouldn’t do it, even if it meant inspecting one day and paying for then collecting 2 days later. Call me OCD, but I also take a paint thickness gauge ( which do work on aluminium btw ) to ensure there isn’t an area that measures bad. I once detected on a Mini that the bonnet was 4 times the paint thickness of the rest of the car only to discover it had been repaired post transit.
Ok, your OCD beats my OCD :lol:
Yes.... a lot of you make me feel more "normal" :lol: :lol:
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 pm
dpg123 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:16 am Make sure you call the dealer and confirm all the details before paying anything. NEVER pay on the basis of an email request without verifying. It might also be worth sending £1 across first and checking with the dealer it was safely received before sending the rest to the same account.

It's a lot safer today.

When you add a new payee to your bank beneficiaries list they run a check on the account name. Now the likelyhood of the scammers having set up an account in a legitimate business name is very remote and would give you the right of a refund from the bank.

I locked my order last week and have received an email detailing the process for payment , registration and collection. I am happy that the sending email address is valid and that the bank details are too.

This happened to my Dad a few years ago - before the checks etc were widespread. It was a builder who was working on their house at the time and he was expecting an invoice. The hacker read back through their discussion to find the amount owed exactly so it didn't even look suspicious!

He had resigned the money to lost, neither the builder (who my Dad had known a long time and trusted) or my Dad believe it. The bank stonewalled them.

I suggested going through the Ombudsman, and a year later they got the money back in full - the Ombudsman ruled in my Dads favour and ordered the bank to pay him back!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 pm

It's a lot safer today.

One thing I do when making large payments is to send a small amount first and ask the recipient to confirm receipt before sending the balance. I've not had any problems doing it that way, so far.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Skyway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:51 am
MrBaozi wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:47 am I have no issues paying a few days in advance. As someone else has said it's either Porsche GB or a franchise whose group is probably floated on the London stock exchange that you're giving your money to.

Ringing your bank in advance doesn't always go to plan.
Then I’d want to see the car in advance too. Good luck trying to get your money back on a rejected car already paid for.

Anyone would think you're dealing with Terry Tibbs, not Porsche!

Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94