Gen 3 Macan S 6 weeks in……

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
softsand

Post by softsand »

VxD wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:11 am Hi there,
VxD from Japan, first post in this forum.
Chiming in on BOSE vs Sound Package Plus, because I noticed a few people losing sleep about not choosing the update, when it is not as black and white.

After spending some time listening to both options, I personally prefer the sound of the base system over BOSE. It has more depth and feels warmer thanks to a better mid reproduction, even with the BOSE set to linear mode (which disables most of BOSE's post-processing.)
The BOSE system gives you a few more speakers at the back and a "surround" option which shifts the sound to the middle of the car. Do keep in mind that the system does not offer actual surround sound, as only stereo sources are supported.

Both my dealer and I agreed that the BOSE upgrade is, as adequately advertised in the configurator, a "surround" upgrade. It gives you "more" sound at the (arguably subjective) expense of quality.
Now if you want both surround _and_ better sound, the Burmester is where it's at. Do note that, AFAIK, the PCM still only supports stereo sources. Yet you will feel like you are sitting in a concert hall, but in a car with questionable acoustics.

I personally do not see the appeal of simulated surround sound on stereo sources and prefer the sound to be centered on the driver row where I am sitting, which is why I opted for the base system and do not feel like I am missing out.
It will be interesting to see improvements to the PCM which introduce support for actual spatial audio such as Dolby Atmos down the road, which will make surround setups more appealing. But with PCM5? Nah. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the comments which don't seem to be swayed like many just because it has a badge.

I paid for a Burmester upgrade in a 2021 Mercedes GLA and it has been the most underwhelming upgrade ever. It has surround sound and if you deselect it, a number of the speakers no longer output sound. Sounds like the Macan Burmester upgrade is much better though. Pity it's so expensive...

My partner has a VW T-Cross with a Beats upgrade. It's far better than the Burmester in the GLA despite spending some time playing around with settings !

I have gone with the base stereo on my T. Is it 8 or 10 speakers ? - seems conflicting with some of the details I have read. Seems I should be OK with the Base. That Bose subwoofer steals a bit of space too.
2022 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN22I7J6 with 21” Sport Classic wheels in Satin Platinum

PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Old Chimer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:06 am
PorscheMack wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:56 am
Old Chimer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 am
Good job i plan to keep mine then. No Bose, no Pano and no Chrono. :lol:
And the £ you've saved can go towards a full tank of fuel 😞
I preferred to spend it on 14-ways, extended leather and air suspension.
👍
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

Old Chimer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:06 am
PorscheMack wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:56 am
Old Chimer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 am
Good job i plan to keep mine then. No Bose, no Pano and no Chrono. :lol:
And the £ you've saved can go towards a full tank of fuel 😞
I preferred to spend it on 14-ways, extended leather and air suspension.
You wouldn't have got extended leather, air and 14 ways for Pano, Crono and Bose. Sorry to be pedantic!
New User

Post by New User »

softsand wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:09 am I have gone with the base stereo on my T. Is it 8 or 10 speakers ? - seems conflicting with some of the details I have read. Seems I should be OK with the Base. That Bose subwoofer steals a bit of space too.
It is 10 Way. Two tweeters on the top of the dashboard and then a separate Bass and Mid/High in each Door. There is a useable storage void under the load area carpet where the Sub would have been.

Bose adds 4 speakers. A centre one behind the dashboard clock, two behind the rear seats and the sub. An additional 450W slave amplifier is needed to drive this lot as the head unit can only power 150W/10 Ch. More W doesn't always equate to better sound quality - which relies more on the current delivery. It is a bit like HP vs Torque. HP is brute force but Torque is what makes it agile. You only have a 12v Battery so current delivery is going to be a limiting factor. 600W at 12V = 50A coming from a 95Ah battery !
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

New User wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:30 pm
softsand wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:09 am I have gone with the base stereo on my T. Is it 8 or 10 speakers ? - seems conflicting with some of the details I have read. Seems I should be OK with the Base. That Bose subwoofer steals a bit of space too.
It is 10 Way. Two tweeters on the top of the dashboard and then a separate Bass and Mid/High in each Door. There is a useable storage void under the load area carpet where the Sub would have been.

Bose adds 4 speakers. A centre one behind the dashboard clock, two behind the rear seats and the sub. An additional 450W slave amplifier is needed to drive this lot as the head unit can only power 150W/10 Ch. More W doesn't always equate to better sound quality - which relies more on the current delivery. It is a bit like HP vs Torque. HP is brute force but Torque is what makes it agile. You only have a 12v Battery so current delivery is going to be a limiting factor. 600W at 12V = 50A coming from a 95Ah battery !
I am not a electrical engineer but I think the sound amplifier does not output the power at the rate it receives it. So the 600w output will probably be driven at much smaller voltages.
If it was driven at 12v the car interior would soon be like a sauna😁
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
New User

Post by New User »

I will own up to having a Sparks Degree. 600W is 600W. The output voltage may not be 12V but the imput voltage is and so that means the current drawn is up to 50A. Probably a few capacitors to smooth out the peaks and the average will be a lot less. Not continuous so no cabin heating but the point is made that these Wattage numbers are a distraction due to the high currents they draw in low voltage systems. Quality is coming from other factors.
Spyderjon

Post by Spyderjon »

Deleted User 4752, are the wheels in the pic you posted earlier (page 18, on the grass car park) the ref 55T 20" Macan S polished dark titanium ones that come as standard with the S model at zero upcharge?

I've just paid a deposit on an S in Volcano Grey with the standard zero upcharge wheels but the spec is still unlocked. Unfortunately I've only seen the wheels on the configurator so I'm hoping that's what you have as I think they look pretty good. I do quite a bit of alpine driving in the winter (I'll be swapping the tyres to winters from Nov to April) and the wheels can take a beating so I don't want the additional cost of upgrading them plus with the pot holes in my area I'd prefer the better ride from the 20"'s.
Ordered but not yet locked in: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPL796F1 + Bose added by OPC + refinish the wheels in black