Porsche Vehicle Tracking System?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

Hi
I'm collecting the new car tomorrow.
The dealer mentioned PVTS on the 'phone.
I think he is saying that the system is pre-installed but that there is an annual fee to activate it?
Apparently, insurance companies may require it?

Has anybody any further information on this?

What is the cost?
Is it worthwhile?
Can it be de-activated? (not sure I want to be tracked when'm driving)

Thanks in advance for any insights :-)

Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Had it on my first Porsche. Didn’t pay for it on my latest one.
There’s lots of talk on this forum about it. Many people think it’s a poor system and my experience is that as well.

Firstly, if the alarm is triggered you immediately lose the ability to see where the vehicle is because, presumably to stop you being a vigilante, Voda lock the system on a theft activation. Rh as a means you have to wait for them to call you so you can figure out if the vehicle is actually moving or whether it’s just been activated in error.

Secondly you need to have a fob with you at all time. I can see that they’ve updated them, but my ones used to stop working regularly and changing the battery was a right pain.

My insurance company told me that I’d only save £100 or so with a tracker so it’s cheaper not to have one.

Lastly, when I asked a similar question there were a number of respondents saying that if their car was stolen and misused they wouldn’t want it back.

On the plus side, it seems that Porsches aren’t as desirable for thieves as Range Rovers and Mercs so hopefully an internal security wheel lock is all you need if you park in higher risk area.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Paul1970 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:46 am Had it on my first Porsche. Didn’t pay for it on my latest one.
There’s lots of talk on this forum about it. Many people think it’s a poor system and my experience is that as well.

Firstly, if the alarm is triggered you immediately lose the ability to see where the vehicle is because, presumably to stop you being a vigilante, Voda lock the system on a theft activation. Rh as a means you have to wait for them to call you so you can figure out if the vehicle is actually moving or whether it’s just been activated in error.

Secondly you need to have a fob with you at all time. I can see that they’ve updated them, but my ones used to stop working regularly and changing the battery was a right pain.

My insurance company told me that I’d only save £100 or so with a tracker so it’s cheaper not to have one.

Lastly, when I asked a similar question there were a number of respondents saying that if their car was stolen and misused they wouldn’t want it back.

On the plus side, it seems that Porsches aren’t as desirable for thieves as Range Rovers and Mercs so hopefully an internal security wheel lock is all you need if you park in higher risk area.
Does anyone know how easy it is to saw through the steering wheel? I'd never even thought of it until I saw a police programme recently where a camper van was stolen despite the steering wheel lock.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 am
Does anyone know how easy it is to saw through the steering wheel? I'd never even thought of it until I saw a police programme recently where a camper van was stolen despite the steering wheel lock.

77CF72A9-200A-4994-9440-798B1E1BA5D3.jpeg

Macan S arrived May’22.
Met. Black, Burmester, Bordeaux ext. leather
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKMKWC6
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

Nothing is thief- proof, but generally they like easy acquisitions and I hope a disklok is a ‘pain-in-the-ass’ most don’t need, so they move to easier targets.
Macan S arrived May’22.
Met. Black, Burmester, Bordeaux ext. leather
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKMKWC6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Paul1970 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:46 am Had it on my first Porsche. Didn’t pay for it on my latest one.

Very easy, thieves will saw through the rim in seconds to remove a 'hockey stick' type lock. But before that they use the extended leg of the lock to give them lots of leverage to break the steering lock. By far the most secure lock and useful deterrent is the Disklok.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:25 am

Very easy, thieves will saw through the rim in seconds to remove a 'hockey stick' type lock. But before that they use the extended leg of the lock to give them lots of leverage to break the steering lock. By far the most secure lock and useful deterrent is the Disklok.
Any idea if a Disklok will fit in the wheel well on top of the spare ?
Currently
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:09 am

Good question, but sorry, I didn’t try that and no longer have my Macan. I think maybe not though as the spare wheel takes up most of that space. The Disklok is a fairly hefty piece of kit so if you store it in the boot it really should be securely strapped down as it would do some serious injury and damage in a collision or perhaps even in an emergency stop.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 am
Good question, but sorry, I didn’t try that and no longer have my Macan. I think maybe not though as the spare wheel takes up most of that space. The Disklok is a fairly hefty piece of kit so if you store it in the boot it really should be securely strapped down as it would do some serious injury and damage in a collision or perhaps even in an emergency stop.
The other way to look at this is if they are willing (and able) to cut through the steering wheel, you definitely want them to take that car and never see it return!
My daughters car was taken by smashing the normal steering lock and then being taken as a drugs gang “pool car”. Miraculously it turned up six weeks later as a complete right off , but not one you would want to repair or even sit in again! 😳
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Jon A wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:45 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 am

The other way to look at this is if they are willing (and able) to cut through the steering wheel, you definitely want them to take that car and never see it return!
My daughters car was taken by smashing the normal steering lock and then being taken as a drugs gang “pool car”. Miraculously it turned up six weeks later as a complete right off , but not one you would want to repair or even sit in again! 😳
I agree. but the problem is the insurance hike for the next 5 years and the hassle of waiting 12 months for its replacement :-). So I'd prefer to deter the opportunist scrotes in the first place even though I realise that if they really want the car they will just roll up with a low loader and pick it up.
Currently