Speed Limit Indicator

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

I really don't get why these devices are needed at all. What are people doing when theyre driving that they don't noticed the speed limit or what lane they are in????
I drove an X5 with all thes bits and it ruined the drive and my opinion of the car. Horrible experience!!!

Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Or what the vehicles in front of them are doing????
Moan over!!!

;-)
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I guess you guys don't have it then!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Rarecolour wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:35 am Does nobody notice the road signs? You know, the BIG round ones and then the smaller repeater ones?
If there are street lights it's a thirty limit unless signs say otherwise (something good came out of my four hour education session :D ). You're right, the speed limit indicator is not essential but when 30 speed limits are in force with no street lights this option can be a useful reminder. Better than meeting a nice little guy in a van with a camera.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Most drivers, when asked, cannot say immediately what the speed limit is where they are driving at the time. It’s due to a lack of attention and/or distraction. Contributing to this is that they regard driving as a necessary but unimportant task and are willingly distracted by other thoughts, music, radio or anything else they prefer to do. They generally drive at the speed of other traffic or at a speed they feel safe. It’s not surprising so many are caught above the limit. Then there are the others who think limits don’t apply to them, or they are pointless, etc, etc.

Of course none of the above applies to anyone on here……..!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
GTB

Post by GTB »

I have had the speed limit warning facility in my Merc E class that came with the car, and have to me anyway found it invaluable. I drive around and across the country often in areas and on roads I havent been on before. So having a clear system that flashes up when a speed limit change has occurred and flashes if Im over the speed is a bonus. Of course Im always careful to drive at the right speed, but the Merc system even picks up the speed signs where limit has been reduced for roadworks and of course the ever changing speed limits on the smart motorway gantries.

Its an aid of course , but as Nick has mentioned, listening to sat nav direction commands, music and or even speaking hands free on the phone, its all to easy to miss a sign or there are lots of roads with speed limits far less than one would normally imagine.
Big sections of the M8, M80, M77 motorways in and thru Glasgow with five lanes of motorway but speed limit is only 50MPH, Its astounding how many of the drivers get caught out on those sections having missed the main set of 50MPH Roundals, many tourists and visitors get caught. Im sure all of you know similar roads where the speed limit is perhaps not "Normal".

I have added the speed limit option in my Macan and will be interested to exeprience if its as good as the Merc system.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
RGS

Post by RGS »

I had Mercedes exclusively for over 20 years and 7 years ago I was enjoying Matrix headlights, (never been available on the Macan) and on my latest AMG that I traded in for my Macan Turbo, I had a head up display that gave a very good speed limit display without having to take my eyes off the road. However I haven't got it on my Macan because I would still have to take my eye off the road to see it and I can get the speed limits from the PCM display either on Google or Waze, so I don't miss it at all. Much as I love my Macan, I soon discovered that Porsche are well behind other manufacturers when it comes to things like Matrix Headlamps and Head Up displays which are really helpful safety aids. Things like ambient lighting don't bother me too much, but some people would like to have a change of colour in the vehicle. Maybe the new battery driven Macan might address some of these deficits !!
pmg

Post by pmg »

GTB wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:57 pm I have had the speed limit warning facility in my Merc E class that came with the car, and have to me anyway found it invaluable. I drive around and across the country often in areas and on roads I havent been on before. So having a clear system that flashes up when a speed limit change has occurred and flashes if Im over the speed is a bonus. Of course Im always careful to drive at the right speed, but the Merc system even picks up the speed signs where limit has been reduced for roadworks and of course the ever changing speed limits on the smart motorway gantries.

Its an aid of course , but as Nick has mentioned, listening to sat nav direction commands, music and or even speaking hands free on the phone, its all to easy to miss a sign or there are lots of roads with speed limits far less than one would normally imagine.
Big sections of the M8, M80, M77 motorways in and thru Glasgow with five lanes of motorway but speed limit is only 50MPH, Its astounding how many of the drivers get caught out on those sections having missed the main set of 50MPH Roundals, many tourists and visitors get caught. Im sure all of you know similar roads where the speed limit is perhaps not "Normal".

I have added the speed limit option in my Macan and will be interested to exeprience if its as good as the Merc system.

GTB
The Macan system does not do the flashing stuff
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Neil1911 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:00 am I'm inclined to stick with it. Having to look left for the speed limit on the nav screen is occasionally irksome and alegedly I'm too grumpy already. Thanks all.
It’s a low cost addition and it’s effective on all visible speed signs including temporary road signs, you can also have it solely displayed on MFD screen as shown in first photo, which is where I usually have it if driving in less known areas.

2E5F75A1-6B32-488F-8037-33DC81657B3B.jpeg

98157C5E-1E44-4EA6-8794-55D0ABBD573A.jpeg

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

RGS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:45 pm I had Mercedes exclusively for over 20 years and 7 years ago I was enjoying Matrix headlights, (never been available on the Macan) and on my latest AMG that I traded in for my Macan Turbo, I had a head up display that gave a very good speed limit display without having to take my eyes off the road. However I haven't got it on my Macan because I would still have to take my eye off the road to see it and I can get the speed limits from the PCM display either on Google or Waze, so I don't miss it at all. Much as I love my Macan, I soon discovered that Porsche are well behind other manufacturers when it comes to things like Matrix Headlamps and Head Up displays which are really helpful safety aids. Things like ambient lighting don't bother me too much, but some people would like to have a change of colour in the vehicle. Maybe the new battery driven Macan might address some of these deficits !!
I had heads up on my AMG e class - don't miss it at all

Mrs always turned it off when she drove it
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S