New battery

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Jon A wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:06 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:58 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:39 pm
This is insane! Why would a battery need replacing after 36 months??
I have NEVER had to replace a battery on any car I have owned in the last 30 years! Why do we accept that somehow this is normal just because it’s Porsche. 🙄🙄
Calm down, calm down. Who said anything about it being just Porsche?

I've known batteries last almost 10 years, I changed my step dad's on his Honda Civic last year, that was almost 10 years old, my conditioner couldn't do anything with it.
Well didn’t you say “3 years is about right”?
Feels like you are implying about right for Porsche?
Either way, it isn’t. Most if not all modern cars would see battery life of at least seven years and many longer.
The OP doesn't say whether or not the battery has been left to run down over long periods of not using the car. Batteries can be goosed if they do run down and then left.

Bosch Batteries have a 3 or 5 year warranty so that gives you a clue to approximate lifespan. I doubt it's something porsche have programmed in to rip customers off! How many on here are running Batteries which are older than 3 years?....I imagine quite a few!
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160

bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Have you tried inputing the serial number from your old battery?
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Or a serial number from a google search image ?

My battery is VW branded, can only guess thats all OPC Bournemouth had at the time since they did all the other service work
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

bennachie wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:50 am Have you tried inputing the serial number from your old battery?
The old battery wasn’t an OEM one.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Macanboy

Post by Macanboy »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:42 am Well this ‘numpty’ has VCDS for the coding, but as explained it asks for a Porsche battery serial number. You cannot complete the coding without that. So you have to buy a Porsche battery from an OPC.

Funny when I asked for advise no-one helped, just slated me for buying a car from Cazoo.

So, I ask, have any of you doubters actually done this yourselves with a Bosch, non Porsche battery. If you have them fair enough, but my actual experience tells me different, which does not make me a numpty.

Thanks
Well my new to me SD acquired last month from the local OPC has a Varta 105 Ah 580 6 batt .looks new as no dust .
Car s had its111 pointer twice as I am the 3 rd owner obviously it came with Approved 2 y warranty as std and I negotiated an extension of 12 months so 3 y in all on a 2015 car from there approved scheme .
As I said in your original post with Cazoo or who ever Joe bloggs under the arches etc etc by the time you factor in it getting through an OPC 111 pointer + buying Porsche warranty at sticker price there’s nowt in it .
My cars never been outside the dealer network, that’s reassuring I hope .
I did not fit this Varta and presume somewhere the two 111 point checks are logged indeed the last one at my OPC last month .

Despite the service last February 21 + brake fluid @ 45 K the OPC did another service , + brake fluid ( thought every 2 years ? ) all stamped up in the book + the body corrosion check thingy FWIW .I did not ask for that as was on 54 K and the blurb infers within 3 months not 12 assuming it’s on a 24 M cycle?
Fresh MOT too , had a few month left .

New boots all N spec all seasons .New disks + pads all round and appears to be new upper front control arms .All consumables so not warranty issues at all .
Cars never been out of dealer network.

Yes they will be all over a cazoo car like rash why shouldn’t they to preserve the integrity of the brand ?

Anyhow mines got a Varta batt .
His Boxster 987.2 + Ferrari GT4 .
Hers Macan SD
Previous pork = Cayenne S , 968 CS , 911 , even a 924 !
Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari 360
6 Range rovers full fat + various Mercs + BImmers .
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Blah, blah, blah. Mine now has an OPC warranty for two years and it cost me nowt in the end, apart from the warranty itself, as Cazoo covered the oil leak and the battery.
As said before, my experience from a local OPC was very different from yours with my last Macan. So why go back when the service was shocking. At least Cazoo admitted their mistakes and coughed up.

Now let’s stop ruining the OP’s thread, which is about his battery and not your buying experience.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Macanboy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:59 pm
Well my new to me SD acquired last month from the local OPC has a Varta 105 Ah 580 6 batt .looks new as no dust .

If this is Varta battery with no Porsche part numbers or serial number then you either need to point this out for the the OPC to rectify, or ask for written confirmation that it is suitable and coded to the car (and not invalidating current or future warranty). Do not believe that all is well because you bought from an OPC and have a warranty in place as part of the sale (I've seen approved OPC cars for sale with non N rated tyres ;; so wouldnt surprise me to see non OEM batteries making it through the net too)
Macanboy

Post by Macanboy »

Percymon wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:19 pm
Macanboy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:59 pm

If this is Varta battery with no Porsche part numbers or serial number then you either need to point this out for the the OPC to rectify, or ask for written confirmation that it is suitable and coded to the car (and not invalidating current or future warranty). Do not believe that all is well because you bought from an OPC and have a warranty in place as part of the sale (I've seen approved OPC cars for sale with non N rated tyres ;; so wouldnt surprise me to see non OEM batteries making it through the net too)
A quick look a Mr Google suggest Varta was OEM back in 2015 . Maybe still is now ?
No reason to doubt the OPC or integrity of the 111 pointer .As I said there will be tick sheet for the 111 pointer signed off x 2 in the “system “

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/repl ... ery.84682/

7DD9F23B-FD99-401A-B179-4CEBC45C34CD.jpeg

Mines a 105 Ah .I think they originally were 92 s . As said not dusty like the rest of the compartment .It isn’t original from 2015 .
His Boxster 987.2 + Ferrari GT4 .
Hers Macan SD
Previous pork = Cayenne S , 968 CS , 911 , even a 924 !
Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari 360
6 Range rovers full fat + various Mercs + BImmers .
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

What you have there is an Audi battery. The Porsche item looks like this.

A503C4BA-C23C-4C23-B4E4-B914E84FDC30.jpeg

andreas

Post by andreas »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:40 pm What you have there is an Audi battery. The Porsche item looks like this.
The Macan has a 60Ah battery???
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)