Running in

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
shaunyt0

Post by shaunyt0 »

Just curious as to forum members views on running in there nice shinny new Macan's.

My car not due till July at the earliest going off my SE's last communication with me.

I've googled the topic and got quite a variation in feedback, from someone on an official Porsche factory tour saying there he was told "is no need to break in a new engine", my SE says approx 500 miles is enough and postings in the Porsche owners club saying a minimum 500 miles before the loud pedal is exercised properly.

My current car an F Pace 300 Sport, the dealership said no need to run in but a technician who worked there recommended a gentle running in with the occasional brief squirt down a road after 500 miles.
Cant relay vouch whether it is any better than a car thats not been thrashed from the off but it runs well can go when I really want it too and its as economical as any other on the Jag F Pace forum.

So would be interested to hear the doo's and do nots and what do you do to break your engines in, tyres and brakes and anything else of note as these also come up when you google breaking / running a car in.
Shaun T

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNGQ5LZ6

Current Python Green G3 GTS
Jaguar F Pace 300 Sport
Jaguar F Pace R Sport
Various Freelander's and Discovery's

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

The manual says 1800 miles but I think this is a bit excessive. Most sports/supercars are 1,000km (620 miles) until fully run in, so I'd follow that. I've just got over that in my GTS so I'm opening it up a bit more now.

All I did in mine was be gentle with it, keep it in normal and sport modes only, not let it rev above 3,500rpm and take it on a few longer trips so everything gets chance to get hot and bed in nicely. A bit of mechanical sympathy is always good, I haven't been near launch control or floored it to the redline yet but it's probably fine to do that now. I've also only put super in it and kept the start/stop off.
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

This has been raised a few times in the forum.

Porsche do give advice (from the Good to Know app) and it is wise to follow it:

For the first 3000km:

- Preferably take longer trips. If possible, avoid frequent cold starts with short distances.
- Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, or similar.
- Avoid high engine speeds of over 4,000 revolutions per minute. Drive at low speeds when the engine is cold
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I kept mine under 4,000 rpm for the first 1,800 miles or so as per the manual.

Don’t see any reason to not follow the guidance in the manual, as quoted above. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 4749

Post by Deleted User 4749 »

Interestingly at the Porsche Experience at Silverstone the Macan S I drove had less than 150 miles on the clock...Instructor said he has previously questioned Porsche GB about thrashing new cars and they said it wasn't necessary to run them in ..... makes you think about the problems the car will give its eventual owner, who paid through the nose, for a nearly new 'Porsche owned' car!
shaunyt0

Post by shaunyt0 »

Thanks gents all interesting feedback and will be followed by myself

I'm at the Porsche driving experience myself on Monday ill make a mental note of how many miles is on the GTS I'm supposed to be driving and maybe ask the same questions and also if they say its not needed I will ask why they come too this conclusion when as mentioned above the app and manual say 1800 miles.
Shaun T

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNGQ5LZ6

Current Python Green G3 GTS
Jaguar F Pace 300 Sport
Jaguar F Pace R Sport
Various Freelander's and Discovery's
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I always like to "take it easy" on the engine and brakes for about 1000 miles.

It can't do any harm and isn't too difficult to do.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Although I have yet to take delivery of my new GTS, I will without doubt follow the running in detail quoted by the manufacturer. Its a no brainer, done this in all my new cars since 1989 and so far ( Grabbing large wooden desk!!!!!) never had any serious or expensive mechanical failures. Its a high tech bit of mechanical engineering and although things should be better than the past, it is still brand new.

I always think of elite sports people, do you ever see them just go straight on the pitch or track with no warm up?

Tyres I believe need a couple hundred miles to take manufacturing residue of them, everything to me just needs to settle in and bed down for its whole future life,

I know its peoples own choices at the end of the day, but if it really wasnt required, why is it in the manual and good to know guide.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes, it has been done to death on here many times. I’d recommend you listen to experienced engineers or technicians, not salespeople. You’ll hear a lot of rubbish from people who don’t know what they’re talking about and/or don’t care as their car will be going back at the end of the PCP.

As others have said, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations would be my advice.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MansfieldCat

Post by MansfieldCat »

It may be true that a new car doesn’t ‘need’ running in, it will provide years of good service without. However, absolute best practice would be to run it in following the manufacturers guidance. All mechanical systems, due to modern manufacturing methods, will benefit in the long run by being eased in to allow them to loosen up.
Another benefit would be to get the 1st oil change done early as this will remove any metallic particles that come adrift as newly machined components wear the edges off.
I’m 500 miles in with my Macan S and will be running in thoroughly as it will benefit in the long term.