Turbo Whine/Whistle

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

TK421 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:59 pm Had a good friend who had a similar problem on a new RS4, he ended up in a legal battle with Audi over it, never drove the car for over 12 months whilst in dispute ended up returning the car, refunded and moved on. (There were also other issues with the brakes grabbing) There’s definitely an issue with the turbos on this engine. Some have it some don’t, mines now at 1800 miles with zero whine or whistle whatsoever. How many miles now?
About 4800

Deleted User 4752

Plyphon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:15 pm It might be worth defining the noise your hearing - theres a clear difference between healthy/happy turbo whistle and "oh shit thats gonna blow" noises.

https://aet-turbos.co.uk/the-turbo-whis ... explained/
What does turbo whistle sound like?
As the name suggests, a turbo whistle sounds like a high pitched whistle or whining sound, heard when the turbocharger kicks in as you accelerate and the revs go up.

For some people, a turbo whistle can be annoying, but to others, it’s actually desirable! In fact, some people purchase aftermarket ‘turbo whistler’ devices that fit inside the exhaust of a vehicle to mimic the sound of the turbo whistle.

A turbo whistle shouldn’t be confused with a police siren or dentist’s drill sound – this is likely to be a sign of something more serious, like compressor wheel damage.

So yeh, dentists drill or 'police siren' sounds (no idea what that means) is bad. The 'good' sound I hear from my turbo is more space-age scii-fi noise, not a 'whine' as such.
Definitely a whistle. Anyone know how I can post a recording?
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Try recording as a video and then post it from your picture gallery as you would a photo??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

THHGTTG wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:48 pm
Plyphon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:15 pm It might be worth defining the noise your hearing - theres a clear difference between healthy/happy turbo whistle and "oh shit thats gonna blow" noises.

https://aet-turbos.co.uk/the-turbo-whis ... explained/
What does turbo whistle sound like?
As the name suggests, a turbo whistle sounds like a high pitched whistle or whining sound, heard when the turbocharger kicks in as you accelerate and the revs go up.

For some people, a turbo whistle can be annoying, but to others, it’s actually desirable! In fact, some people purchase aftermarket ‘turbo whistler’ devices that fit inside the exhaust of a vehicle to mimic the sound of the turbo whistle.

A turbo whistle shouldn’t be confused with a police siren or dentist’s drill sound – this is likely to be a sign of something more serious, like compressor wheel damage.

So yeh, dentists drill or 'police siren' sounds (no idea what that means) is bad. The 'good' sound I hear from my turbo is more space-age scii-fi noise, not a 'whine' as such.
Definitely a whistle. Anyone know how I can post a recording?
We aren’t mechanics

Just take it to the dealer

They’ve probably missed you or moved without telling you!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Deleted User 4752

Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:50 pm Try recording as a video and then post it from your picture gallery as you would a photo??
Sadly doesn’t seem to accept video files. Think I may need to stick it on a video share site and post the link
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

[/quote]

We aren’t mechanics

[/quote]

Not mechanics?? Every other member seems to be a technician, someone even posted technical pictures of engines earlier today FFS!! 😂😂😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

If the turbo is failing there's a good chance you'll have a smoke screen behind you and be down on power!!!
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:16 pm
We aren’t mechanics

[/quote]

Not mechanics?? Every other member seems to be a technician, someone even posted technical pictures of engines earlier today FFS!! 😂😂😂
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok Technicians - all with a different opinion

Our replacement Seat makes more Turbo noise and it is supposed to be exactly the same as the old one

Do I care

Nope !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Tracky wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok Technicians - all with a different opinion

Our replacement Seat makes more Turbo noise and it is supposed to be exactly the same as the old one

Do I care

Nope !
They do vary, i had a test drive in a new Zetor a few years ago and all you could hear was turbo whine, had to put on ear defenders after a few minutes.

They didn't get a sale!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab