Dash Cams.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

I’ve done that too :) thank you

wingless

Post by wingless »

This reply shows my Fitcamx front / rear camera system wired to the left fuse panel.

2022 Macan
andrew85244

Post by andrew85244 »

Just want to share my experience. Recently I have bought Gen 3 Macan 2.0 with Porsche dashcam. I use one iPhone to connect dashcam with APP. I use another iPhone to connect with the PCM. The dashcam APP works well (live view, download videos). But because video clip is only one minute long, so there is a lot of files to download. I hope Porsche rear dashcam will come out soon.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Do you know which week your Gen 3 was built? The pre wiring front and rear started at builds from week 36 in 2022 I believe.
Macan S MY 2023
wingless

Post by wingless »

andrew85244 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:43 pm Just want to share my experience. Recently I have bought Gen 3 Macan 2.0 with Porsche dashcam. I use one iPhone to connect dashcam with APP. I use another iPhone to connect with the PCM. The dashcam APP works well (live view, download videos). But because video clip is only one minute long, so there is a lot of files to download. I hope Porsche rear dashcam will come out soon.
All valid points.

The Fitcamx I installed has an easy-to-remove microSDHC memory card that I put into a reader on my PC computer.

Even though it is LOTS of data, taking a LONG time to cut and paste from the card to the hard drive, I just start the process, go do something else, then everything has been transferred, permitting an empty card to be inserted into the Fitcamx.

Note, that transfer is not required. The HUGE memory card will eventually be overwritten, except for the few locked files, such as during an accident, or while parked.

The manufacturer recommends periodic memory card formatting to ensure weird stuff doesn't affect access.
2022 Macan
andrew85244

Post by andrew85244 »

I don't know when it is being built. But can you tell from chassis number?

By the way, I don't like to physically take out the SD card. I like to do it wirelessly.

One suggestion. Use iPad to connect with Porsche dashcam. The screen size is bigger and viewing is better. But one thing. What is best way to fix iPad to dashboard? I have iPad Air 5th Gen.
wingless

Post by wingless »

Does the Porsche dash camera include parking mode, to capture / store / lock events that occur when the parked vehicle sustains a shock? Does it also lock video when an impact occurs while driving? Does it record audio?

Does the Porsche dash camera watermark date / time / velocity / compass direction / lat-long on the images?

What is the Porsche dash camera pixel resolution?
2022 Macan
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

It does all those things and also captures video of people walking past etc if enabled. It’s QHD video quality which is still very crisp. I’m pleased with it.
Macan S MY 2023
wingless

Post by wingless »

The Porsche front / rear dash camera has great specifications, but the visual appearance is sooo aftermarket.

The visual appearance of both the front and especially the rear camera is something I would never consider for inclusion on my vehicle. I would HATE seeing that rear camera every time I use the rear view mirror.

This is a nice write-up on the Porsche camera with image below. Other than the large add-on appearance, the other disappointment I have from the Porsche solution is that it also has the image artifact of seeing the faint dashboard reflection. Even though that is a minor defect, IMO that doesn't need to exist and could have been eliminated if the camera had a lower shroud around the lens. The lesser disappointment is the review details poor microphone audio quality, leading that to be disabled.

Even though my FitcamX front / rear camera system is aftermarket versus Porsche, does not watermark velocity or location, IMO it has these advantages over the Porsche camera. Of greatest importance to me, the visual appearance on both Fitcamx cameras is superior to the Porsche cameras. The Fitcamx front camera appears integrated to the vehicle, unlike the Porsche camera. The Fitcamx rear camera is small, on the edge of the rear window opening, while the Porsche rear camera is large, in the middle of the rear window (what's up w/ that?). Lesser importance, the Fitcamx front camera resolution is higher than Porsche, even though both are fine, 3840 x 2160 versus 2560 x 1440 for the front camera, the Fitcamx rear is 1920 x 1080, unknown for Porsche. For reference, the Fitcamx system cost is much less than that of the Porsche.

2022 Macan
andrew85244

Post by andrew85244 »

Attached are the screenshot of Porsche dashcam footage and file properties for analysis.

Audio = yes
Parking mode = yes (dashcam speaks out when engine shut down)
Lock = I am not sure as I have not tested
Price = It has already included in overall car price. My car is a Porsche centre demo car. Brand new one (with individual configuration) waiting time is super long!

porsche dashcam file properties.png

porsche dashcam image.png