Green Mould

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
andreas

Post by andreas »

Neil1911 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:35 pm
Good to know, although the Wet & Forget comes 5l at a time (£24ish) and dilutes 5:1 with water for and use, so are Polycell part of Porsche, same nose for a profit...
For many people, who don't have patios or decking to treat, buying 5 litres of something when they only need a tiny amount is wasteful. The Polycell product is cheaper and convenient.

Actually, the best stuff to use is Boracol 5RH, which includes a specific anti-mould chemical as well as an anti-algae chemical. I have 20 years' experience of using it on the teak decks of my last sailboat, as well as on the canvas sprayhood of my current boat. It's very good - a couple of applications annually keep the nasty stuff at bay.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

andreas wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:41 pm
Neil1911 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:35 pm
Good to know, although the Wet & Forget comes 5l at a time (£24ish) and dilutes 5:1 with water for and use, so are Polycell part of Porsche, same nose for a profit...
For many people, who don't have patios or decking to treat, buying 5 litres of something when they only need a tiny amount is wasteful. The Polycell product is cheaper and convenient.

Actually, the best stuff to use is Boracol 5RH, which includes a specific anti-mould chemical as well as an anti-algae chemical. I have 20 years' experience of using it on the teak decks of my last sailboat, as well as on the canvas sprayhood of my current boat. It's very good - a couple of applications annually keep the nasty stuff at bay.
You are a fund of information, invariably good!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
RGS

Post by RGS »

Got a bit off topic here, I just wanted to say my Macan has PDLS plus headlights, if water or condensation can get between the rubber seal under the bonnet and the glass headlight on my car, then its quite possible others will be affected, although maybe less so if garaged. It's really just cosmetic and can be cleaned off, but gives the appearance of being within the unit. I only noticed it in bright sunlight and my car has lived outside since new for over 3 years which might explain.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

RGS wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:37 am Got a bit off topic here, I just wanted to say my Macan has PDLS plus headlights, if water or condensation can get between the rubber seal under the bonnet and the glass headlight on my car, then its quite possible others will be affected, although maybe less so if garaged. It's really just cosmetic and can be cleaned off, but gives the appearance of being within the unit. I only noticed it in bright sunlight and my car has lived outside since new for over 3 years which might explain.
It never affected me over 42 months and 40K miles outside but no doubt the light/shade, temperature and moisture condition will have an affect.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
LetHimCook

Post by LetHimCook »

I can totally relate to your frustration with the green mould issue. It's a real pain to deal with, especially when it starts appearing in unexpected places like within the headlamp-sealed units. I recently noticed something similar in my own car, and it's definitely not a pleasant sight.
I actually reached out to OPC and sent them a picture to get their input on the matter. While I'm waiting for their response, I've been doing some research on solutions to tackle mould. That's when I stumbled upon this company called Aiden's Property at https://aidens.property. They specialize in mould removal and have received some positive reviews.
I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with Aiden's Property or any other companies that deal with mould removal. I'd love to hear your feedback and recommendations on how to effectively address this issue.
RGS

Post by RGS »

Having discovered that what appeared to be algae inside the sealed headlight units was in fact on the outside rubber seal and able to be scraped off quite easily (interdental tooth brushes or plastic toothpicks are good) I found more at the rear on the light bar. For a while during the wet weather I had some water droplets at one end of the lightbar that refused to go. I showed it to the OPC and decided to monitor it for a while until the weather warmed up, but ready to order a new one under warranty if necessary. But on really close inspection I found some algae forming on the rubber seal at the end of the light bar where the droplets were. Same procedure by opening the boot lid I could scrape the stuff off quite easily from the rubber seal at the end of the bar, and bingo the droplets disappeared. They are formed by condensation inside the light bar and I guess the wet algae was blocking the vent and preventing the condensation to evaporate. The light bar still attracts a little condensation under certain weather conditions but that evaporates quite quickly. The car living outside on the drive does present some problems I guess and the proximity of trees and bushes doesn't help.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Bulletion wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:08 am
By the way, if you ever face mold problems in your home, I recently came across Rapid Clean Restoration services, and they did an excellent job for me.
This is a UK forum; do they do a transatlantic service?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

At least not inside the headlight.
Vix

Post by Vix »

Going slightly off topic, but are any of those products safe to use on a GRP boat which has an algae problem? Thanks.
Macan S - Gentian Blue (2024) - On order http://www.porsche-code.com/PRI2ZX68
981 Boxster S - Sapphire Blue (2015) - Keeper!
987 Boxster S - Grey (2010) - Sold
andreas

Post by andreas »

Vix wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:56 am Going slightly off topic, but are any of those products safe to use on a GRP boat which has an algae problem? Thanks.
Yes, any of the products mentioned will be OK on GRP. On my boat, I use a pressure washer (very gently) to get rid of any green on the deck, especially good for anti-slip areas. I use Boracol on my sprayhood and the teak cockpit table.