Initial thoughts and some pics of the S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
stimshady

Post by stimshady »

What an absolute little beast - I wasn't expecting this thing to be as good as it is... have clocked up 250 miles since collection day last Friday, and I am very impressed with pretty much everything in the S so far. Build quality = 10/10, that door sound when you shut is just solid. No rattles or squeaks inside. German engineering I guess. The PDK box is excellent, super fast and when you want to boot it, give it a kick & it just drops you down a few gears ready for take-off.

I like the fact you can change the chrono dial before you start the engine to give a little extra exhaust noise on startup. The ride is extremely comfortable - even when in Sports+ and hardened suspension settings set to 'on'.

The extended leather trim feels very special too - and is nicely done in all the right places. You do actually notice the punched crests on seats and centre console, adds to the overall quality of it. Same with bordeaux red seat belts and red dials - feels sporty and premium all at the same time. GT sports steering wheel is very nice, small and tight and feels like a sports car.

I was a little concerned I hadn't opted for the Bose, but a little tweak to the bass/treble tone and the standard 10 speaker 150W system is plenty loud enough - and doesn't distort, very punchy. Apple car-play works well and the screen is very high resolution, again feels high quality.

I opted for no sun roof and no roof rails, the cabin is a very nice place to be - it doesn't feel dark at all, just sporty really. I've been surprised how this feels more like a car than an 'SUV' - and when you drive past other SUVs, it definitely seems quite a bit lower than most others.

The only tiny issue i need to sort is my driving position - I had a bit of back ache (lower right) after 1.5 hours, but that's definitely just the angle of my leg on the throttle - 14 ways to adjust so will get it right.

And then there's the outside... I think I'll let the pics do the talking on that one... (well done Porsche, what a cracking little machine)...

20230429_113726464_iOS.jpg

20230429_113546447_iOS.jpg

20230429_113511907_iOS.jpg

20230429_113604847_iOS.jpg

20230429_113519626_iOS.jpg

20230429_113502698_iOS.jpg

20230429_113437310_iOS.jpg

20230429_113445365_iOS.jpg

Current:

Ferrari 488 GTB
Porsche Macan S
Ferguson TEF20 (in bits)

Current build due April ‘23 http://www.porsche-code.com/PPKMGX52

Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Those wheels and the Silver taipipes set it off nicely. I drove mine home from Sheffield , 250 miles, and had no problems with my back or the footrest, never noticed any difference between the Macan footrest and the auto MB that I've been driving for the past 5 years.
Ditto your comments re build quality , PDK and engine. I don't have sports chrono but have Bose , which I think is great.
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Yeh those wheels look cock on with that paint, sideblades, etc. Really nice spec, well done.

I struggled a bit with the driving position for mine until I figured it out - I was originally putting the seat too high to try and get a better view over the front end - but I sort of realised that's not really possible like it is with a small hot hatchback whilst keeping a sensible seating position - once I lowered the seat and bunch it's now feels perfect. You just need lots of faith in the cameras for manoeuvring in tight spaces!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
stimshady

Post by stimshady »

Plyphon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:35 pm Yeh those wheels look cock on with that paint, sideblades, etc. Really nice spec, well done.

I struggled a bit with the driving position for mine until I figured it out - I was originally putting the seat too high to try and get a better view over the front end - but I sort of realised that's not really possible like it is with a small hot hatchback whilst keeping a sensible seating position - once I lowered the seat and bunch it's now feels perfect. You just need lots of faith in the cameras for manoeuvring in tight spaces!

i will try setting it really low and see how it get on with that, cheers. It's definitely more of a sports position than 'range rover' type of looking down on everyone i think!
Current:

Ferrari 488 GTB
Porsche Macan S
Ferguson TEF20 (in bits)

Current build due April ‘23 http://www.porsche-code.com/PPKMGX52
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Really nice combo you have there with the wheels, colours etc. If i had gone for an S i would have those wheels for sure.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Love the red highlights dotted around the outside and the interior. Now just a question of deciding how often to wash it as it only lasts in pristine condition for a couple of days if like me you park outside. I started off every week soon down to once per month over winter.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Wheel’s really set the car off👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

One big plus about your wheels, and my Macan S wheels, is that they're easy to clean and you can get at the callipers so they stay nice and shiny red.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

stimshady wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:45 pm
Plyphon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:35 pm Yeh those wheels look cock on with that paint, sideblades, etc. Really nice spec, well done.

i will try setting it really low and see how it get on with that, cheers. It's definitely more of a sports position than 'range rover' type of looking down on everyone i think!

Car looks great, stimshady! I tend to put the seat height at its lowest position, be it my 911, a courtesy car or my girlfriend’s VW Up! Lower centre of gravity! ;) :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

stimshady wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:45 pm

I'm only 5ft 7in but if I set the seat too high then I catch my head on the roof getting in. Porsche intended the driving position to tend more towards sports car than traditional SUV so you sit "in" a Macan not "on" it. You'll appreciate the memory function once you find the "sweet spot" seat position. The last thing you need is the car coming back from a service having been driven by one of Snow White's minders or the Incredible Hulk and having to go through the whole set up routine again :D .

I know Simon's comment on COG was very much tongue in cheek because the effect on COG of changing the seat position in a near two ton car is close to non existent. If you get a chance to do the Porsche Experience at Silverstone, the emergeny lane change while braking will demonstrate that, short of stupid manouvres on the side of a hill, rolling the car is not something you'll need to worry about.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel