Macan T loaner review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

I haven't driven the 2.0 engined Macan yet, maybe I will when I need a loaner myself.

Had an interesting chat with a guy in Costco car park the other week. Came back to see him inspecting/admiring my GTS. Then proceeded to tell me his new Q5 had the 2 litre engine and how he didn't like it, and how Audi didnt let him have any options due to part shortages! So pretty much a base spec Q5. Asked me a bunch of questions about the Macan and sounded like he was going to pay Porsche a visit off the back of it. Was thrilled when I started the car haha

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

PJV997 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:56 am
gammaray wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:46 am Otherwise, for someone looking at a GLC300 or an X3 or Q5 with a 2.0L as well, the base and Macan T do the job perfectly (if not better because it handles amazingly and has endless customisation options over those rivals).
Agreed.

I suspect 80%+, maybe 90%+, of medium size SUVs are running 2 litre four cylinder engines. And for most owners they are perfectly happy with that. I would imagine the interior quality and feel of a highly specced demo car is a bigger draw than a ‘proper Porsche engine’ for many considering Macan ownership.
Exactly this. There are a lot of people who want the show, but not the go. I think the T looks great. Is it the engine for me? No. But not everyone wants or needs 380bhp to take the kids to school and then to potter to work or the shops.

If I was buying a Macan for the Missus, I would get her the T.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

pstrat wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:06 am I haven't driven the 2.0 engined Macan yet, maybe I will when I need a loaner myself.

Had an interesting chat with a guy in Costco car park the other week. Came back to see him inspecting/admiring my GTS. Then proceeded to tell me his new Q5 had the 2 litre engine and how he didn't like it, and how Audi didnt let him have any options due to part shortages! So pretty much a base spec Q5. Asked me a bunch of questions about the Macan and sounded like he was going to pay Porsche a visit off the back of it. Was thrilled when I started the car haha
Put a brick under the throttle pedal to limit its action, that is how a 2.0 feels, it wants to go but it has not yet grown up.

If all one wants is the Porsche badge and a quality feel and look then there is nothing wrong with a 2.0 as a kiddie wagon and shopping trolley it does the job.

If on the other hand you are a driving enthusiast then buying a 2.0 is definitely not a wise course of action.

One may be deluded into thinking a T is a good choice but come on, the minor handling improvements do not really justify shelling out all the extra cash for the car that is only really of use on the school run
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I guess the steering wheel was the GT heated wheel?

If so, it's an option and a great one at that. I only got it because I liked the size/construction, but I ended up using the heated function all winter long - it's amazing!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Plyphon wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:52 am I guess the steering wheel was the GT heated wheel?

If so, it's an option and a great one at that. I only got it because I liked the size/construction, but I ended up using the heated function all winter long - it's amazing!
Haha yeh same. I think it looks fantastic and great to hold too. I like the 12 oclock notch too. Heating bit is a bonus i look forward to using later in the year.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

wab172uk wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:28 am
gammaray wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:46 am Otherwise, for someone looking at a GLC300 or an X3 or Q5 with a 2.0L as well, the base and Macan T do the job perfectly (if not better because it handles amazingly and has endless customisation options over those rivals).
Agreed.

I suspect 80%+, maybe 90%+, of medium size SUVs are running 2 litre four cylinder engines. And for most owners they are perfectly happy with that. I would imagine the interior quality and feel of a highly specced demo car is a bigger draw than a ‘proper Porsche engine’ for many considering Macan ownership.
Exactly this. There are a lot of people who want the show, but not the go. I think the T looks great. Is it the engine for me? No. But not everyone wants or needs 380bhp to take the kids to school and then to potter to work or the shops.

Why does your mrs only deserve a T!?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Tracky wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:51 pm
wab172uk wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:28 am

Agreed.

Why does your mrs only deserve a T!?
Because she doesn't drive in a manner that would require 380bhp.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Sounds like she needs some training
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S