Navigation v Music Volume

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:51 pm A doubt whether as much as 1% of us have never ever broken a speed limit, be that 20mph, 70mph or whatever. 🤓
Yes of course we have 100% agree. I think this is more about where you might do it and why…
I love the comment “I don’t deem 85mph speeding” - unfortunately the law does, we don’t get to set our own parameters of right and wrong! 😂😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Exactly. That's why we need the mitigation of speed camera software (for which several million subscribers exist btw). I drove 5 miles on the M40 the other day and the only reason it was set to 60 was for environmental protection (I don't remember voting for this). An empty motorway and 90% of us were not doing the 50mph that the 'law' wanted.

I'm not suggesting an utter flought of the law here, but in many cases the 'the law is an ass'. If I couldn't drive my Macan enthusiastically from time to time then I'd sell it. I also wouldn't buy it in the first place if it was speed restricted to 70mph. If anyone on here says they would then I'd suggest they're lying through their teeth ;)

I don't think where this might happen even came into the discussion btw. Clearly no one apart from an idiot would do 70 in a 20 zone. But it'd be very easy to do 25 in one (as per the Archbishop of Canterbury). Similarly 80 on a clear motorway is almost the norm unless you're driving an EV with sh*t range ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I’m not anti speed, just commenting on the where (motorway) as there is nothing to be gained here? It’s no more or less fun doing 80mph than 70mph is it?
You aren’t going to get to a destination more than literally a few seconds quicker and the whole thing takes place in a straight line on a straight road…

On a motorway it just makes way more sense to stick to a speed limit than to try and find where cameras are just so you can go 10 or 15 miles faster??

It’s not about what you voted for or what you deem speeding, it’s just about being pragmatic 🤷‍♂️
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

Jon A wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:09 am
Skyway wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:54 am If I was gonna drive like Miss Daisy I wouldn't have bought a Macan or anything like it. I didn't buy it for its comfort ;)

Do you seriously stick to 70mph on all our motorways? Its very useful to know which gantries definitely have a camera.

Also, with all the 20mph speed limits springing up you only have to be doing 25 and you'll get a ticket.
Err, yes I really do! Speeding on motorways is a mugs game and you deserve what you get.
Much better to enjoy cars like these on the A road twisties where you can enjoy without speeding I think.
+1
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Jon A wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:39 pm I’m not anti speed, just commenting on the where (motorway) as there is nothing to be gained here? It’s no more or less fun doing 80mph than 70mph is it?
You aren’t going to get to a destination more than literally a few seconds quicker and the whole thing takes place in a straight line on a straight road…

On a motorway it just makes way more sense to stick to a speed limit than to try and find where cameras are just so you can go 10 or 15 miles faster??

It’s not about what you voted for or what you deem speeding, it’s just about being pragmatic 🤷‍♂️
It's not just about the speed limit. You can drive miles with variable cameras set to 50 on relatively clear roads where 60 or 70 is fine. Only a fraction of those gantries have cameras. I have clients to get to, and artificailly restricting a 'motorway' goes completely against its purpose ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Jon A wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:39 pm I’m not anti speed, just commenting on the where (motorway) as there is nothing to be gained here? It’s no more or less fun doing 80mph than 70mph is it?

I honestly think that an indicated 80mph is the unofficial limit on motorways anyway. I’m positive that no-one would get pulled over for doing an indicated 80mph on a motorway in normal/safe conditions. You can in fact drive at an indicated 80mph past gantries with speed cameras with no issues (according to a friend). ;)

And not to be pendatic, but if doing 80 rather than 70, you’d complete a 100 mile journey in about 10.7 minutes less time. ;) :P :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 pm And not to be pendatic, but if doing 80 rather than 70, you’d complete a 100 mile journey in about 10.7 minutes less time. ;) :P :D

…or you could stick to the speed limit and just leave 10.7 minutes earlier 🤣🤣
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
2japs

Post by 2japs »

AllanG wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:00 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 pm And not to be pendatic, but if doing 80 rather than 70, you’d complete a 100 mile journey in about 10.7 minutes less time. ;) :P :D

…or you could stick to the speed limit and just leave 10.7 minutes earlier 🤣🤣
Or 5.35 minutes earlier if a 50 mile journey 😁

Seriously tho, I got done several years ago on the M6 by an unmarked patrol car I was doing 86mph in a Volvo!
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 pm

I honestly think that an indicated 80mph is the unofficial limit on motorways anyway. I’m positive that no-one would get pulled over for doing an indicated 80mph on a motorway in normal/safe conditions. You can in fact drive at an indicated 80mph past gantries with speed cameras with no issues (according to a friend). ;)

And not to be pendatic, but if doing 80 rather than 70, you’d complete a 100 mile journey in about 10.7 minutes less time. ;) :P :D
You are probably right re limits but not to be super pedantic, your timing assumes constant speed for whole journey, so assuming some off motorway at both ends (with all normal roundabouts, traffic lights etc) that 10 minutes is probably nearer 5 minutes..
Either way, saving 5 or 10 minutes as a goal on an hour and a half journey is pretty puerile I would think 🤔
Like I said, speed limits get broken for all sorts of reasons, including having some fun, but speeding on a motorway is for mugs, just because there is no upside - no more fun and you just can’t save any decent time unless you get up to ton plus speeds so why bother risking it?
It really is an interesting social phenomena that people (mostly men) feel they are somehow gaining something by speeding by just a little bit 😂😂
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

So download one of the Apps. Cyclops is good but not Carplay friendly. RadarALL - so far so good but haven't had any mobile sites reported yet ;)

Mind you, even doing 80 I am often flashed to move over by Kia Picanto's ;)
Macan S MY 2023