Navigation v Music Volume

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Jon A wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:11 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:39 pm I’m not anti speed, just commenting on the where (motorway) as there is nothing to be gained here? It’s no more or less fun doing 80mph than 70mph is it?
You aren’t going to get to a destination more than literally a few seconds quicker and the whole thing takes place in a straight line on a straight road…

On a motorway it just makes way more sense to stick to a speed limit than to try and find where cameras are just so you can go 10 or 15 miles faster??

It’s not about what you voted for or what you deem speeding, it’s just about being pragmatic 🤷‍♂️

I honestly think that an indicated 80mph is the unofficial limit on motorways anyway. I’m positive that no-one would get pulled over for doing an indicated 80mph on a motorway in normal/safe conditions. You can in fact drive at an indicated 80mph past gantries with speed cameras with no issues (according to a friend). ;)

And not to be pendatic, but if doing 80 rather than 70, you’d complete a 100 mile journey in about 10.7 minutes less time. ;) :P :D
You are probably right re limits but not to be super pedantic, your timing assumes constant speed for whole journey, so assuming some off motorway at both ends (with all normal roundabouts, traffic lights etc) that 10 minutes is probably nearer 5 minutes..
Either way, saving 5 or 10 minutes as a goal on an hour and a half journey is pretty puerile I would think 🤔
Like I said, speed limits get broken for all sorts of reasons, including having some fun, but speeding on a motorway is for mugs, just because there is no upside - no more fun and you just can’t save any decent time unless you get up to ton plus speeds so why bother risking it?
It really is an interesting social phenomena that people (mostly men) feel they are somehow gaining something by speeding by just a little bit 😂😂
One of the upsides is that by doing that 10mph extra often means you can sit in the outside lane away from all the HGVs and frequent lane changing you see in all those other lanes. I do alot of MWay driving and it is often way safer in the outside lane ;)
Macan S MY 2023

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Skyway wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:19 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:11 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 pm

I honestly think that an indicated 80mph is the unofficial limit on motorways anyway. I’m positive that no-one would get pulled over for doing an indicated 80mph on a motorway in normal/safe conditions. You can in fact drive at an indicated 80mph past gantries with speed cameras with no issues (according to a friend). ;)

And not to be pendatic, but if doing 80 rather than 70, you’d complete a 100 mile journey in about 10.7 minutes less time. ;) :P :D
You are probably right re limits but not to be super pedantic, your timing assumes constant speed for whole journey, so assuming some off motorway at both ends (with all normal roundabouts, traffic lights etc) that 10 minutes is probably nearer 5 minutes..
Either way, saving 5 or 10 minutes as a goal on an hour and a half journey is pretty puerile I would think 🤔
Like I said, speed limits get broken for all sorts of reasons, including having some fun, but speeding on a motorway is for mugs, just because there is no upside - no more fun and you just can’t save any decent time unless you get up to ton plus speeds so why bother risking it?
It really is an interesting social phenomena that people (mostly men) feel they are somehow gaining something by speeding by just a little bit 😂😂
One of the upsides is that by doing that 10mph extra often means you can sit in the outside lane away from all the HGVs and frequent lane changing you see in all those other lanes. I do alot of MWay driving and it is often way safer in the outside lane ;)
😶 wow! …just wow…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

All 50 cars in front and behind me are doing the same. All other lanes occupied I might add. Not sure where u live but in the South East our roads are completely rammed ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Skyway wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:28 pm All 50 cars in front and behind me are doing the same. All other lanes occupied I might add. Not sure where u live but in the South East our roads are completely rammed ;)

Seems like we’re never going to agree on this (as a group, not meaning you & me, Skyway).

Motorways are safer to drive on than country lanes/twisties.

Some of us are happy that going maybe 80mph on the motorway is perfectly acceptable. And the Police, plus speed cameras seem pretty ok with it too.

I can think of lots of country lanes/twisties where doing 60 would be mad, despite the limit being 60.

Am going to keep an eye out for all these Macan drivers who (allegedly) never go above 70 on a motorway or dual carriageway. ;) 😇 :P
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Jon A wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:17 am .....you could do is just stick to the speed limit....
..... vote Green party, follow Buddhism and go Vegan.....
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:10 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:17 am .....you could do is just stick to the speed limit....
..... vote Green party, follow Buddhism and go Vegan.....
Would I be “following” Buddhism on Facebook Blues? 🙄😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
pmg

Post by pmg »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:51 pm
Skyway wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:28 pm All 50 cars in front and behind me are doing the same. All other lanes occupied I might add. Not sure where u live but in the South East our roads are completely rammed ;)

Some of us are happy that going maybe 80mph on the motorway is perfectly acceptable. And the Police, plus speed cameras seem pretty ok with it too.

The danger with that approach is that different chief constables have different policies as to what "excess" is permitted before points and fines triggered for example re discussion re Home sec someone on the radio this am, a commentator had been prosecuted for 77mph on motorway. Years ago North Wales and Bedfordshire were known for being tight with little margin

My own policy is to try and stick to actual speed limits rather than the speedo under reading speed eg do 32/33 indicated speedo figure in 30 and 74/75 indicated in 70.

Where i am likely to be caught out is when overtaking a car doing 40 on a 60 limited a road where when reducing time exposed to danger the Macan accelerates to well above 60 by the time you are alongside car being overtaken
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

A recent Freedom of Information response (January) from The National Police Chiefs' Council confirmed that the 2015 ACPO Guidelines are still applied across all force areas. This is the document - https://library.college.police.uk/docs/ ... idance.pdf

As you can see, prosecution starts at 10% plus 2mph, so 79 on a motorway. Hence on a motorway you will generally not be prosecuted up to 78mph. But as the guideline says, Police Offices can exercise judgement in all cases and experience shows that they are much more likely to prosecute for lower transgressions in, say, 30mph limits outside a school, or in other areas where speeding is a known problem.

For interest, both my Porsches have/had a speedo error of plus 2mph across the range, measured using a satnav, which is close to accurate in practice.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA