New Macan GTS or 992

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
cinders

Post by cinders »

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long post, but I'd love your opinion on this. I know it's a great decision to have to make, but I agonize thinking over this. I know, it's first world problems... :o

A few years ago, upon returning to the UK, I bought a 2020 Macan S and I loved it. It was the most amazing car I'd ever driven in terms of luxury (for me anyway...) it was a dream to drive, and it was fairly quick. I was using it as a daily, however I was horrified at the fuel consumption - It averaged around 18mpg - which I just couldn't justify in my head for a suv to run my kid to school, etc.

My other dream car was a 911. So I traded the Macan in and ended up with a 991.2 C4 GTS which I absolutely loved and even better, I could average 25mpg. It was great on fuel if driven sensibly, and I could also take it for amazing drives on the country lanes. Now, I know you'll say I shouldn't be worrying about fuel economy with these cars, I just do it's my OCD :D

Anyway, with the 911 I was always worried about where I could park it at times in case someone keyed it, damaged it, etc as it was quite a stand-out car. So.... I bought a diesel macan as a second car, which was great. I got good fuel economy from it, I wasn't worried about leaving it anywhere, and it was nice.

In the end, I sold up and moved away and got rid of the cars. But, now I'm moving back and would love to have a nice car again. I really like the 992 and I really like the new Macan GTS. But I think if I buy a 992, then I might be worried about taking and leaving it places, so I'd end up buying a diesel macan again as a second car.

However, then there would be two cars to service, tax, insure, etc. So I'm thinking, do I just get the Macan GTS and then I only have one car to worry about. It looks great, it's fast and fun to drive.... and it's quiet inside. One major issue I had with my 911 was the road noise inside, it was incredibly loud. I recently saw a Harry's garage YouTube review of the 992, and he noticed and was annoyed by the same thing. So that's a downside for the 992.

Any suggestions/opinions would really be great.

PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

I think the first question is whether the 992 is sufficiently practical as a sole car now and for the foreseeable future if there is no other car in the household.

If no, then the answer is straightforward. If yes, then the other factors you mention come into play and ultimately only you can decide what is right for your circumstances.

From a personal perspective, we are consolidating three cars into two. We were finding that one car in particular was getting used less and less and so for us a Macan GTS is going to become our everyday car, replacing the job of two current cars. I am confident its breadth of ability will make it a great car for an engaging Sunday blast, a mega road trip through Europe or simply pottering around doing regular chores.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Around town 18mpg is probably the going rate, but it's better to look at the average. Mine averages at around 25mpg.

Having said that I'm not sure you buy a Porsche for great full economy. Perhaps wait for the Macan EV?
Last edited by Skyway on Tue May 30, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macan S MY 2023
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Agree with above that the practicality of a 911 for you & your family will be the first consideration, but that doesn’t seem to appear as a factor in your post above.

I know what you mean about worrying where you park a 911, as I’ve run a 991.2 T as a daily driver/sole car for over 5 years, and I do still sometimes worry about where I park it. But, hey - we only live once, right?! :)

Also, there’s no guarantee that a Macan wouldn’t attract the wrong kind of attention.

I hazard a guess that my T is louder than any 992 you’d buy, as mine had reduced sound deadening, plus my mods have made the exhaust louder. And I happily live with mine. ;)

Would you be looking at a used or new 992? Any thoughts on which model?

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
cinders

Post by cinders »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, it's really appreciated.

I'm lucky as my son is now 8 and a few years ago he easily fitted (even in a child seat) in the back of the 911. He'll be fine in the back of a 911 for a good few more years. :D The 911 was a perfect everyday car, we had no issues at all. I guess luggage space wasn't that good and the road noise was pretty bad, but apart from that it was fine.

With regard to the MPG - I'm old now at 40 and don't race everywhere I go. I drive quite sensibly but enjoy a good old blast here and there, or sometimes if I'm alone, and it's a nice country road on a nice day, then I'll give it some beans and blow a ton of fuel. During the lockdown, I'd throw a loaf of bread in a plastic bag (to say I'd been shopping) in the boot and spend half a day blasting around the North Yorkshire moors. Amazing fun.

I'd look to buy a second hand 992 Carrera 4S. I'd never buy a car without 4WD as there's a few times when I've had near miss, where I believe the 4WD saved my life (I had a car blindly pull in to my fast lane when I was doing 95mph once, and I had to make a hard manoeuvre - I swear if the car was rear-wheel drive I would have been done for)

Thanks again!
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

:D both
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Two completely different cars, and at completely different price points.

I bought a Macan S, as it serves it's purpose. To take us around the UK for days out walking and Holidays. A 911 just wouldn't be practical enough, no matter how hard I tried to justify it with roof boxes etc. Plus, the 911 is a car I just wouldn't be happy taking down narrow single track roads over the Lakes. Tried it years ago in my old MK1 R8, and it was scary, and never repeated.

If we always holidayed abroad and didn't drive down narrow roads, I would have go myself a 911. But then again, the price difference is huge. The 911 I would order would be a GTS. Either C2 with light weight pack (mini GT3 Touring), or C4 with 18 way seats (mini Turbo). But your looking at £130,000+ compared to £80k+ for a Macan GTS.

At the end of the day, only you can decide what car suits your lifestyle best.

The only negative with the 911 is the stupidly long gearing. To thrash it on UK roads, you'd never get out of 3rd gear. and to red line it in 3rd, your doing over 110mph. I'm not sure I wouldn't get frustrated about that.
cinders

Post by cinders »

CamGTS wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:04 am:D both
I'd love to... lol. If I had both, I'd have to get a macan diesel for the daily. :D
cinders

Post by cinders »

wab172uk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:18 am Two completely different cars, and at completely different price points.

I bought a Macan S, as it serves it's purpose. To take us around the UK for days out walking and Holidays. A 911 just wouldn't be practical enough, no matter how hard I tried to justify it with roof boxes etc. Plus, the 911 is a car I just wouldn't be happy taking down narrow single track roads over the Lakes. Tried it years ago in my old MK1 R8, and it was scary, and never repeated.

If we always holidayed abroad and didn't drive down narrow roads, I would have go myself a 911. But then again, the price difference is huge. The 911 I would order would be a GTS. Either C2 with light weight pack (mini GT3 Touring), or C4 with 18 way seats (mini Turbo). But your looking at £130,000+ compared to £80k+ for a Macan GTS.

At the end of the day, only you can decide what car suits your lifestyle best.

The only negative with the 911 is the stupidly long gearing. To thrash it on UK roads, you'd never get out of 3rd gear. and to red line it in 3rd, your doing over 110mph. I'm not sure I wouldn't get frustrated about that.
I wouldn't say they're completely difference price points. The 2023 Macan GTS I was looking at fully loaded is 95,000 quid. Where I can pick up a 2nd hand 992 C4S for 100-120,000 - so not much more.

Decisions... Decisions...
cinders

Post by cinders »

wab172uk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:18 am
Yeah, you reminded me of a near accident on a single country lane, I always drive to the conditions of the road and was going very slowly when a car came flying around a blind corner, he hadn't seen me because the 911 is quite low down and the hedgerow was high, he had to swerve on to the grass verge and ended up in a field to avoid me. I got out of the car and went running over but he sped off. I was ready to kill him. What an absolute idiot.