Macan T review.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
crockers

Post by crockers »

Almost 3 months in and 3000 miles on the clock - thought it was about time to give my views on the T.
I’m not going to go into the 4 v 6 debate as it’s a no brainer that the 6 has substantially more power and a better sounding vocal cord. But the 4 isn’t “weedy”. I’ve only once found it lacking and that was going over the Hardknot pass. Not an everyday occurrence 🤣.

I find the 8 way GTS seats extremely comfortable, and wrapped in Pebble look and feel exquisite. The GT smaller steering wheel is very nice.

I find the speedo a waste of a dial as I use the digital display as it’s far more user friendly.

I have driven an S but stuck with the T because I would have had to strip the S or pay out extra £000s which I didn’t want to do.

Cruising up a motorway at around 75-76 gives me 35+ to a gallon. Going over the hardknot gave me low to mid 20s. But on the whole I rarely see less than 30. Not brilliant but acceptable.

Handling is amazing. Can’t get over how well it grips. Rarely see the power move to the front. Going up the Hardnot was a 50/50 split.

Adaptive cruise and lane keep assist are good but not as good as the Volvo Pilot Assist. The 360 camera is very useful - but I’m not overly impressed with the sharpness of the images. To be fair the technology and safety equipment is not in the same league as Volvos but the I knew that when changing. Ride quality and road handling easily make up for this.

The “Porsche app and stuff” is total garbage - other Manufacturers are streets ahead. My Volvo was 4 years old and I could remotely lock and unlock the car. Send it routes. Also read off fuel etc. it also had a log with maps to show journeys done and it would send me notifications when the car was unlocked. Handy once when it was valet parked and he hadn’t locked it.

The £200 Porsche logo door lights were a waste of money.

Load management system brilliant.

But every time I drive it - those niggles go onto the back burner.

The quality of the fit and finish is superior to the Volvos - and that was impressive Scandi minimalist.

Do I regret buying it - no. I love looking as I think it looks stunning - something I couldn’t say about the XC60. Not that that was bad looking - just not a beauty.

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

crockers wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:02 pm Almost 3 months in and 3000 miles on the clock - thought it was about time to give my views on the T.
I’m not going to go into the 4 v 6 debate as it’s a no brainer that the 6 has substantially more power and a better sounding vocal cord. But the 4 isn’t “weedy”. I’ve only once found it lacking and that was going over the Hardknot pass. Not an everyday occurrence 🤣.

I find the 8 way GTS seats extremely comfortable, and wrapped in Pebble look and feel exquisite. The GT smaller steering wheel is very nice.

I find the speedo a waste of a dial as I use the digital display as it’s far more user friendly.

I have driven an S but stuck with the T because I would have had to strip the S or pay out extra £000s which I didn’t want to do.

Cruising up a motorway at around 75-76 gives me 35+ to a gallon. Going over the hardknot gave me low to mid 20s. But on the whole I rarely see less than 30. Not brilliant but acceptable.

Handling is amazing. Can’t get over how well it grips. Rarely see the power move to the front. Going up the Hardnot was a 50/50 split.

Adaptive cruise and lane keep assist are good but not as good as the Volvo Pilot Assist. The 360 camera is very useful - but I’m not overly impressed with the sharpness of the images. To be fair the technology and safety equipment is not in the same league as Volvos but the I knew that when changing. Ride quality and road handling easily make up for this.

The “Porsche app and stuff” is total garbage - other Manufacturers are streets ahead. My Volvo was 4 years old and I could remotely lock and unlock the car. Send it routes. Also read off fuel etc. it also had a log with maps to show journeys done and it would send me notifications when the car was unlocked. Handy once when it was valet parked and he hadn’t locked it.

The quality of the fit and finish is superior to the Volvos - and that was impressive Scandi minimalist.

Do I regret buying it - no. I love looking as I think it looks stunning - something I couldn’t say about the XC60. Not that that was bad looking - just not a beauty.
Glad you’re enjoying it Crockers it’s a lovely car 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you are enjoying the ride.

Not been over Hardknot & Wrynose for years, ever since I met some plonker in an oversized Camper coming in the opposite direction.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

crockers wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:02 pm I find the speedo a waste of a dial as I use the digital display as it’s far more user friendly.
I'm not surprised by any of your interesting review, none of which I'd dispute, I was told the analogue speedo was just to make the Macan reflect its Porsche DNA!
crockers wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:02 pm Send it routes.
You can do this, I used it twice yesterday. The car, as far as I can see, won't store them it's use it when you get in or it's lost though.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
BZR81

Post by BZR81 »

crockers wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:02 pm

Early days for me but first impression is I agree very much so regarding the handling. The car feels really planted when flinging it around corners or roundabouts, but surprisingly nimble and agile too.

You might like the door lights more when we hit the darker nights.
Macan T - Ordered January ‘23 - Collected June ‘23
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPZG5PN8
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Agree with you about the speedo, haven't looked at it since day 3. You can forgive a car a few niggles but there's nothing like going into your garage/looking out of the window and thinking "ooh that looks nice"
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

crockers wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:02 pm Almost 3 months in and 3000 miles on the clock - thought it was about time to give my views on the T.

Thanks for the review.

Like you, I'm amazed at the handling of the Macan. Makes my old X3 M40i feel like a boat in comparison. My fist proper drive out I had to remind myself I was in a 1.8T SUV, as I ended up starting to drive it like a Hot hatch.

The speedo. Yeah, I never look at it either. But I think it's because it to the side, small, and goes in weird increments. But TBF I rarely look at the speedo on my other car, as the digital display is easier to look at.

Never bothered looking at the Porsche app, and never looked at or use my BMW one, or my Toyota one. Think they're all a gimmick and bring nothing to the ownership experience. An app for the sake of having an app.

I also think the Macan has something over it's rivals. The badge. End of the day it's a Porsche, and bring with it that feelgood factor.
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:07 pm Agree with you about the speedo, haven't looked at it since day 3. You can forgive a car a few niggles but there's nothing like going into your garage/looking out of the window and thinking "ooh that looks nice"
👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:07 pm Agree with you about the speedo, haven't looked at it since day 3. You can forgive a car a few niggles but there's nothing like going into your garage/looking out of the window and thinking "ooh that looks nice"
Seven years later and I still have that feeling.

There is still nothing out there that I would swap my Macan for.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

I've had my Macan S for 5 weeks and 1600miles now and agree with everything you guys have said. I'm please the owners of X3M40i & XC60 think it's superior to either of them as they were the other two cars on the shortlist. IMO the XC60 T8 was like driving a sofa and the M40i suspension was so hard my fillings would have fallen out.