Apple CarPlay - Full Screen

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
nickjwilliams

Post by nickjwilliams »

I am loving my Macan and feel privileged to have owned a Porsche.

My only niggle is around the tech not being as up to date as other manufacturers.
- Mobile app is not particularly informative, is clunky and does not have much functionality
- The tracker app - well it does nothing apart from put in valet mode really!

Now on to the PCM and wireless Apple CarPlay - my last 2 cars - both BMW, and a 2019 RRS have all had good sized screens (like my 2022 Macan) - however they have displayed the Carplay full screen with no distortion of image or stretching of icons. The Macan from fatcory only displays the CarPlay in a small window, I appreciate that the currrent Cayenne, Panamera, Taycan etc have all had more recent refreshes and use newer than PCM5 and are capable of full screen CarPlay in HD. The Macan was refreshed around 2020 I believe so surprised not updated then, and I know the new Macan will be announced late 2023 and available in 2024 (if pre-ordered, or 2025 if ordering now probably!) - these will I am sure have the same full screen capability of CarPlay - maybe even more options as announced as API's by Apple.

Maybe I am moaning like the old man that I am - but I did some research into options here as I have had coding done on other cars - Merc, Audi etc. in the past - there are companies online charging anything from £300 up to £500 to code the PCM - I found someone who could do it remotely and although nervous as was priced much cheaper, I bit the bullet and went ahead - I am so pleased with the result and the way it was done. Happy to share more details as required as this is not a sales pitch - but from around $200 (US Dollars) the mod can be done quite quickly.

Drop me a PM if you want to know more. This is not an advert - just for interest to save people money if they are as fussy as me and want a better CarPlay experience in their car. (@admins - please remove if breaching any rules).

They do other mods too - Android Auto (wired), plus earlier PCM version options too.

Thanks & regards,

NickW
Current and last few vehicles: -
22 Macan GTS (MY23) - bought March 2023 (ex Demo), still loving...
22 M3 Comp xDrive (LCI MY23) - SOLD
21 X4 M40D (LCI MY22) - SOLD
21 Merc GLE 400d - SOLD
19 Merc AMG GLC63s - SOLD
19 RR Sport SDV6 HSE Dynamic - SOLD

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Is this the chap from New Zealand who does it remotely?

I'd like to know the process.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
nickjwilliams

Post by nickjwilliams »

This guy is from Vietnam.

I used Facebook Messenger and FaceTime to communicate with him. His spoken English is not great but his gf/wife helps translate - worked OK. His written English is fine (probably uses a translation tool).

You will need an SD card (that will fit in the SD-Card slot of your Macan) of minimum 4GB. It will need to be freshly formatted and blank. Also a Windows laptop with Ethernet port, an ethernet cable and then a specific D-Link Ethernet to USB adapter (as Porsche is fussy on what works with it!) and a USB-A to USB-C adapter to plug in to the USB-1 in arm rest. You will need to be wirelessly connected to the internet and best that your laptop has an SD-Card slot too (mine didn't but worked around it). You will also need the latest Teamviewer software installed.

Once plugged together and in contact by Facetime (disconnect your phone from car bluetooth first so you keep the video showing) he will transfer some files to your computer which will go on to the SD Card plugged in to your laptop. Then the SD-Card is removed and plugged in to the SD card slot in the car armrest. He will then talk you through the steps to do on the PCM display - takes about 5 to 10 mins - then he will do some work in back ground. Once complete then can disconnect everything. I found I needed to tuen the car off an leave for a few mins (whilst I took everything back in to the house!) and then started up and works great.

Payment was via Paypal F&F afterwards.

Let me know if you want me to put you in contact with him or need anything else from me to help your decision. I am so far really pleased with it.
21 Merc GLE 400d - SOLD
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze!
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
nickjwilliams

Post by nickjwilliams »

Jon A wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:09 am Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze!
Down to personal opinion really. The fact there was a fir sized screen and I was only looking at under half of it disappointed my ageing eyes - hence the juice for me was worth the squeeze. Also looks far better too in my opinion!
21 Merc GLE 400d - SOLD
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

My personal taste is that I really don’t like CarPlay in the extended screen. I like having other controls at hand on screen so I can swap over without effort and see multiple info groups
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Jon A wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:25 pm My personal taste is that I really don’t like CarPlay in the extended screen. I like having other controls at hand on screen so I can swap over without effort and see multiple info groups
+1 With full screen it just takes over and there’s only a few iPhone Apps I really want to use. On my Merc it goes full screen and it’s really hard to then use onboard apps.
Macan S MY 2023
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

It would be nice to have the options for Google maps to be full screen, and when I first got my car I spent a good 30 minutes looking for the button or setting I had to toggle before realising it was the old PCM and didn't have that feature!

Thanks for the write up - I have ultimately got used to it, but it doesn't sound like too much of a faff to do.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

It does sound like quite a faff. Do the 2023 Macans only show CarPlay in partial screen mode?

On my M6, I used Bimmertech to add CarPlay which wasn’t originally specced on my car. I received a file attached to an e-mail which I could then download to a clean USB stick and had a set of written instructions to follow. It was quite straightforward and I felt comfortable from an IT security perspective with the process due to the reputation in BMW circles of Bimmertech.

With an individual undertaking a process as you describe, it does feel less IT secure (but I am not in any way shape or form an expert in the field). If my incoming Macan doesn’t do the full screen option, I don’t think I’d feel comfortable going down this particular route.

Final point, if there is a manufacture software update during a service and you lose the upgrade/modification you have paid for, will the supplier reinstall for free?
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
nickjwilliams

Post by nickjwilliams »

I may have labooured the process - always possible in words - it's quite straight forward - was done in under 20 minutes - probably could be done in 10 from opening car door! I may not have been as organised as I could have been.

Appreciate concerns on security - had considered that and reduced risk by using a clean laptop.

It is a personal choice and many don't like Apple car Play (and many don't like Apple at all) - so not for them for sure. For those that do like Apple and Car Play - as they probably know - you can just display the apps you want on the CarPlay screen. Also can still flip between full screen and windowed - so can be best of both worlds. I personally use Waze and it's alerts a lot so useful to see clearly which was my goal. Looks like PCM6 implementation.

I too had Mercs - and had coding done to them to add in certain disabled features that had the EU not stuck their beaks in then would have been enabled out of factory - that had gone smoothly hence confidence to "play" with my 6 month old Macan. A risk but my choice. One I am pleased I took.

I am told that there should be no affect on this coded capability of Full Screen HD Car Play by regular Porsche PCM updates.

Incidentally the screen (and size/display) is different on 2017 (Gen2 I believe) cars to Gen 3 (which are wider screens - hence the improvement may be more noticeable - or maybe more intrusive).

Personal choices - was only posting for peoples info if they felt the same as me as I had implemented a lower cost way to make my experience of this great car better.
21 Merc GLE 400d - SOLD