Happy 1st Birthday

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

What's the proportion of motorway v other driving that you do? I can't see that 27K in a GTS in a year predominantly on a motorway makes it worth owning plus taking what will almost certainly be a large value hit.

Only ask out of interest. I do use my Macan on the motorway but when I'm travelling for business I use my Merc which cruises very comfortably delivering over 60mpg on every journey and is super comfortable (as is the Macan of course).
Macan S MY 2023

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Skyway wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:45 pm What's the proportion of motorway v other driving that you do? I can't see that 27K in a GTS in a year predominantly on a motorway makes it worth owning plus taking what will almost certainly be a large value hit.

There is still much pleasure to be had from owning & driving a Porsche daily driver, regardless of miles covered & possible hit on depreciation. ;)

Many would say I’m bonkers to run a (from new) 911 as a daily driver/sole car, even if I’ve only done about 47,500 miles in the first 5 and a bit years.

But even a trip to the gym or the supermarket becomes an occasion. :D

We only live once! :P
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

My point wasn’t the daily driver component but motorway miles. Can’t see what pleasure driving in a straight line at 70 gives in a GTS over and above anything that costs half as much money.

That was all
Macan S MY 2023
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Skyway wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:46 pm My point wasn’t the daily driver component but motorway miles. Can’t see what pleasure driving in a straight line at 70 gives in a GTS over and above anything that costs half as much money.
GTB lives near Loch Lomond and travels all over the UK for work, the bendy bits and ease of overtaking will easily outweigh the motorway miles and, even they, will be better in the GTS. Should he leave it under a shroud in the garage like FirstSeaLord and use a Fiat 500? There at no pockets in shrouds!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Ah ok, that makes more sense then :)
Macan S MY 2023
GTB

Post by GTB »

Skyway,
Thanks for your thoughts, yes motorway likley 65-70% of the miles, 15% duel carriageway and rest as Neil1911 indicated single, twisty and sometimes single track roads. I owned and run Mercs for some twenty years, and although really nice and comfortable I got fed up with them,

I didnt really plan to use the Macan as a constant daily driver, but its ended up that way. Life is all too short and I buy my cars for the pleasure it gives me, unless you have seriously deep pockets and some contacts not very many cars you can buy where your investment makes money.

Having some Scottish blood does help of course, I have the car on a four year PCP contract, but what I noticed and perhaps the finance company never was, I did pay a good deposit for the car, I know what the final payment is, but of course I can hand the car back to them if I want, especially when there is no financial penalty per mile surchage over teh 12K miles I thought I would do, so "Risk" sits with the finance company who thinks I might hand a car back with Max 48K miles on it and actually find its nearer 110K miles and when the double check, no surcharge per extra mile!! :D :D

Personally I dont see why somebody would spend £80K plus on a car for it to sit doing nothing, its a machine and it needs to be used.

What I should really do is work out my total amount of 98Ron fuel put in the car, divide that by say 65L fills and I know from my business the flow rate of fuel thru a dispenser into a car and tell the forum, how many minutes in the last year I spent putting petrol in the car. I will then compare that with an average EV and see how long somebody would have spent charging the car to do that mileage?
Bet there is a slight diffrence.

So the "Baby" was one today, and I look forward to its next birthday and will post on here, not sure I will have it as a teenager ;)

Thanks again everybody for your comments, I enjoy being on the forum. I had the pleasure of meeting up with Neill1911 on one of my trips down south and having a beer and a blether, maybe see other forum members when travelling the country, but then again not of your cars are in the drive or garage.

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0