Neighbours Macan stolen.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Jon A wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:15 am Is “Imogen Dobson” an AI bot??
There armrest certainly some very wooden response!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Very likely, reported it anyway
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

This jamming the signal when locking the car was about long before the relay thefts of keyless cars. Simple solution is to check car is fully locked before walking away from it. Never lock the car from a distance whilst walking away.
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

HertsMacan wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:27 pm This jamming the signal when locking the car was about long before the relay thefts of keyless cars. Simple solution is to check car is fully locked before walking away from it. Never lock the car from a distance whilst walking away.
If you have the folding wing mirrors - keep an eye on them to make sure you see them fold in when you lock it!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Plyphon wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:05 pm
HertsMacan wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:27 pm This jamming the signal when locking the car was about long before the relay thefts of keyless cars. Simple solution is to check car is fully locked before walking away from it. Never lock the car from a distance whilst walking away.
If you have the folding wing mirrors - keep an eye on them to make sure you see them fold in when you lock it!
Yip 👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Good advice. 👍
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Yep.
I've never locked mine more than a couple of paces away, as I've always made sure I've heard the locks click, before walking away.
To me that's just common sense, but there are a lot of lazy people around who are more fixated on tech than common sense.

Same goes for using car washes, its amazing how many people leave there cars and keys at supermarket car washes while they go shopping...... :roll:
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Yes the generic polite responses suggests she F'in is
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

GeeRam wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:59 pm
Yep.
I've never locked mine more than a couple of paces away, as I've always made sure I've heard the locks click, before walking away.
To me that's just common sense, but there are a lot of lazy people around who are more fixated on tech than common sense.

Same goes for using car washes, its amazing how many people leave there cars and keys at supermarket car washes while they go shopping...... :roll:
What's a car wash ???
muzziman

Post by muzziman »

Does anyone know if this theft involved driving the car away? i.e. did they successfully start the engine (defeating the immobilizer) or was it a case of lifting onto a flatbed truck?

Modern keys shouldn't be possible to clone. They contain codes that simply can't be read. Instead, the car gives the key data (unique to that moment) which the key processes ("signs") and gives back. The car checks the signature matches the one it has registered. So access to the OBD port, or any wiring, shouldn't enable a key to be "cloned". And a "saved" signed value shouldn't work more than a few seconds after it was signed.

So if the engine starts, that narrows it down to two options. Either they're somehow registering a new key and they simply using that to drive off (in which case maybe the glovebox damage is just to disable the tracker), or they're able to compromise the link between the immobilizer module and the ECU and send it a signal to say "got a key here that gave me a valid signature". Either of these would be Porsche's job to fix. The first could mean someone has gotten hold of a dealer code/software and can register new keys like dealers do (in which case Porsche should be able to revoke it), or there's a fundamental flaw with the electronics, and Porsche should fix it.

If it's just been lifted onto a truck, well, not sure we can do about that :-/

James