Autocar 1st Drive EV Macan prototype

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

2.2 Tonnes and starting at £90k.

Company cars only, and depreciation as severe as the Taycans.

I do feel sorry for car manufacturers. Legislation is pushing them to develop these things, when the vast majority of people don't want one. It'll be interesting to see if Porsche run the EV alongside the Petrol Macan. What the figures would be for private sales, EV v's Petrol. Though I thin we know the answer.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

GeeRam wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:14 pm
Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:40 pm And one has to wonder what will happen to new petrol car prices as manufacturers are forced to build EVs that they can’t sell - at some point they have to raise the price of the petrol car to incorporate the cost of having to build 1/3 of an EV that doesn’t sell, but is required to offset building the petrol car.
And then no one will be buying new cars (apart from corporate buyers)

At some point, you'd think car makers will have to take a bath on new EV sales, by dropping the prices under ICE prices, which will then encourage buyers to buy them, and then demand will increase, and they can gradually reduce ICE build, and then start to gradually increase the price of EV once they are closer to a captive buyers market?
Looks like it. But you see CEOs of the big German auto makers voicing more scepticism about the viability of this technology - the CEO of BMW made a statement very recently. Maybe they are doing what they’re told, taking the pain for a few years to show good intent, and using it to show EU regulators that something needs to be changed otherwise the whole auto industry is threatened. Presumably the EU will never allow Mercedes, BMW, VAG, etc. go down, but they’re not going to back down on anything just yet.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Moriarty,

I totally agree majority of car manufacturers are being "Forced" into making these by legislation. Tesla and Polestar who are seen as EV manufacturers let them do what they have been doing for years. Its this whole climate/nature emergency path to net Zero, and like Oil ( Sorry Energy companies they are called now) the car manufacturers need to be seen to play the game even though they dont really want to and vast majority of customers dont really want the product.
With the get out of jail last minute clause in the eu directive for stopping Petrol/Diesel ICE engines indicating new ICE engines and cars will be allowed if they run on efuel, I think this is just a transation period.
Efuel being used in motorsport right now. F1 goes fully efuel next season.

I personally can see the saviour of the marques you mention and this will include Porsche is the ICE engines of the future will run on efuel. I posted something few weeks back and a huge number of existing ICE engines can swap over with no changes. What we need is some proper politicians to listen to engineers and technicians for a change.

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

EV’s cannot come fast enough for me.

I have to cross a Motorway feeder road when I take our dog for a walk and it is not nice standing at the light controlled crossing breathing in all the diesel and petrol fumes whilst waiting for the lights to change.

Heaven knows how polluted the air is in busy urban roads.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
GTB

Post by GTB »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:29 pm EV’s cannot come fast enough for me.

I have to cross a Motorway feeder road when I take our dog for a walk and it is not nice standing at the light controlled crossing breathing in all the diesel and petrol fumes whilst waiting for the lights to change.

Col Lamb,

Just get yourself one of these and you will be sorted!!! :D It will also help when you have some real smelly stuff in those little black bags dog walkers seem to carry these days.

images.jpg

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

50% of the small particulate matter that makes up vehicle related air pollution is now from the tyres, so EVs not panacea politicians believe them to be.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

GTB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:48 pm
I personally can see the saviour of the marques you mention and this will include Porsche is the ICE engines of the future will run on efuel. I posted something few weeks back and a huge number of existing ICE engines can swap over with no changes. What we need is some proper politicians to listen to engineers and technicians for a change.

Cheers GTB
Agree. The future has to be partly electric and partly e fuel. IMO E fuel actually much more viable and less polluting as ICE engineers much less damaging to manufacture that EVs and their batteries. Are EVs the beta max/mini discs of their day?
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:00 pm
GeeRam wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:14 pm
Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:40 pm And one has to wonder what will happen to new petrol car prices as manufacturers are forced to build EVs that they can’t sell - at some point they have to raise the price of the petrol car to incorporate the cost of having to build 1/3 of an EV that doesn’t sell, but is required to offset building the petrol car.
And then no one will be buying new cars (apart from corporate buyers)

At some point, you'd think car makers will have to take a bath on new EV sales, by dropping the prices under ICE prices, which will then encourage buyers to buy them, and then demand will increase, and they can gradually reduce ICE build, and then start to gradually increase the price of EV once they are closer to a captive buyers market?
Looks like it. But you see CEOs of the big German auto makers voicing more scepticism about the viability of this technology - the CEO of BMW made a statement very recently. Maybe they are doing what they’re told, taking the pain for a few years to show good intent, and using it to show EU regulators that something needs to be changed otherwise the whole auto industry is threatened. Presumably the EU will never allow Mercedes, BMW, VAG, etc. go down, but they’re not going to back down on anything just yet.
Agenda 2030. Part of this plan is to ensure the majority of people don't own their own car. People living in 15 minute cities.

Would Germany allow Porsche, BMW, VAG to go under? Of course they will. They signed up to Agenda 2030 (like 146 other countries have) and are starting 15 minute cities, just like the UK are. How successful these will be is purely in the hands of the people. Most people don't know or care because the MSM don't tell them to care.

The stick to ensure 15 minute cities become the `Norm` is digital cash, carbon credits, and `covid` passports. Step out of line and your bank account get frozen.

Conspiracy? Go ask someone living in China.

The more people realise Agenda 2030 is real and not for our benefit, the better.
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

But it really isn't at all.

Even in central London, roadside readings are incredibly low, and not even 5% of the EU safety limit level......which is why Comrade Khan doesn't want to deal in facts in his ULEZ crusade.
The worst place for pollution levels in London is the Underground network :roll:
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I will take one with pre-tax money.

After tax money will be spent on my 911 guilty pleasure :D
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4