No ICE Macan from Week 16 next year?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Skyway wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:25 pm This is what I read:

E-fuels are synthetic alternatives to fossil fuels that are made from hydrogen and CO2. They can be used in traditional combustion engines and distributed using networks that already exist.

The hydrogen needs to be produced using renewable or CO2-free energy and the CO2 has to come from capturing emissions in order for them to be considered carbon neutral.

E-fuels do still produce CO2 when they are burnt but those emissions are theoretically offset by the amount taken out of the atmosphere to produce the fuel
So I think two issues being conflated here. From a carbon footprint viewpoint, efuels offer advantages but from an air quality standpoint, there is little difference.
The vast majority of private car mileage takes place in the cities and surrounding suburbs so air pollution is the issue at hand here I think 🤔
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

E-fuels are synthetic alternatives to fossil fuels that are made from hydrogen and CO2. They can be used in traditional combustion engines and distributed using networks that already exist.

The hydrogen needs to be produced using renewable or CO2-free energy and the CO2 has to come from capturing emissions in order for them to be considered carbon neutral.

E-fuels do still produce CO2 when they are burnt but those emissions are theoretically offset by the amount taken out of the atmosphere to produce the fuel
The confusion is that E-fuels, when made from hydrodrogen and CO2 taken from air and water to make synthetic petrol/diesel will still produce CO2 again when burnt but, as you say, the same amount as is burnt will be harvested back from the air.

Whereas hydrogen powered cars, including those burning hydrogen directly in an ICE as per Porsche CEO's announcement a few weeks ago, produce no CO2 at the exhaust, just water, but may produce CO2 elsewhere in the manufacturing/supply chain. I believe Porsche may have this covered, using only carbon neutral renewable energy to extract the hydrogen, but I'm not certain on this aspect.
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Although I've got no intention of getting an EV , at least until I need one that will fit in my car's boot, I think that the biggest barrier to EV sales is the lack of infrastructure and yet to be finalised methods of on street charging. I live in South Wales, and this applies to the UK as a whole really, where a large proportion of houses have no off road parking. How on earth are people living in areas , as per photo, going to charge their EVs at home ????????????

valleys-1.webp

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Lots of charging posts and huge numbers of trailing high wattage cables which all of a sudden don't pose any Health & Safety risk. Just wiating for the first trip hazard law suit to be made ;)
Macan S MY 2023
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:55 pm Although I've got no intention of getting an EV , at least until I need one that will fit in my car's boot, I think that the biggest barrier to EV sales is the lack of infrastructure and yet to be finalised methods of on street charging. I live in South Wales, and this applies to the UK as a whole really, where a large proportion of houses have no off road parking. How on earth are people living in areas , as per photo, going to charge their EVs at home ????????????
valleys-1.webp
When I was growing up in South Wales, pictures like the one you posted would always have a colliery winding engine somewhere in the background.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Skyway wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:12 pm Lots of charging posts and huge numbers of trailing high wattage cables which all of a sudden don't pose any Health & Safety risk. Just wiating for the first trip hazard law suit to be made ;)
Saturday nights will never be the same again. :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

M30LEV wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:59 pm The main worry is that we know the EV will be a lot more expensive than the ICE model so knowing Porsche they may increase the price of the ICE making people think twice in which model to choose. Also remember that manufacturers that don't sell enough EVs they have to pay a penalty for every ICE unit sold. I hope I am wrong ref price increases.

Why assume that the EV will be a lot more expensive than the ICE version of the Macan?

By way of comparison, the new Panamera prices are from £79,500 to £141,400 for the Turbo E-Hybrid.

The Taycan (saloon) prices are from £79,200 to £125,800 for the Turbo. The Taycan Turbo S is £148,300. A Panamera Turbo S has not yet been announced. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

According to an article in yesterday's Car Expert, VW have halted production of the ID3 & Cupra Born until next year due to low demand.
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

DJMCUK wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:31 pm

The confusion is that E-fuels, when made from hydrodrogen and CO2 taken from air and water to make synthetic petrol/diesel will still produce CO2 again when burnt but, as you say, the same amount as is burnt will be harvested back from the air.

Whereas hydrogen powered cars, including those burning hydrogen directly in an ICE as per Porsche CEO's announcement a few weeks ago, produce no CO2 at the exhaust, just water, but may produce CO2 elsewhere in the manufacturing/supply chain. I believe Porsche may have this covered, using only carbon neutral renewable energy to extract the hydrogen, but I'm not certain on this aspect.
With e-fuels, the global carbon footprint is potentially neutral, but local air quality is the issue as where the CO2 etc is released doesn’t change. BUT not all pollution is from the exhaust, tyre particulate matter is significant.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

pmg wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:40 am I am having doubts about placing an order for a new ICE Macan before production ceases. Such action only makes financial sense if I can continue to operate the vehicle as I do now and at roughly present costs. These doubts are from were society and legislation may be in five years' time especially after a likely change in Government.
I’ve seen many comments about ICE being priced out of existence.

But I haven’t seen any solution as to how those on lower incomes are going to afford petrol at £10 or £15 per gallon, or how they will be able afford to buy an electric car.

A political party that promotes policies that make the freedom of personal transportation unaffordable for millions doesn’t feel to me like a party that will win an election.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo