Transfer case multiple failure?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Hi all, hope to get some insight, other experiences re multiple TC failures.

Previously had a 2016 diesel s which had all sorts of trouble including TC which was replaced and then just before I part ex it think was again on way out.

Now have a 2016 GTS bought from Porsche Swindon in Feb of this year. Despite being told the TC had been replaced, it went in June, then told they'd made a mistake and actually it hadn't been replaced.

Replaced under warranty by Porsche Glasgow, no problem and hoped to have smoother times..........few weeks ago mild symptoms started again and I think it is again on the way out.

My question is has anyone had one go so quickly after being replaced? And if so are there any reasons, factors, underlying issues that could be causing? Is it the part failing or something in the vehicle's related workings that could be affecting? I love the car and would like to keep long term but not if the TC keeps failing..........

Thoughts and experiences welcome............also are the gen 2 and 3 any better on this front?
2016 S Diesel sold
2016 GTS Silver :)

DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

The advice from OPC service dept when we started to look for a Macan was to avoid Gen 1 due to transfer box issues and that Gen 2 & 3 didn't have the same problem so they were the ones to buy. I did as I was told and bought Gen 2.
dlgis

Post by dlgis »

A mate of mine had the transfer box replaced on his 21plate Gen2 GTS earlier this year 🫤
Darryl
Macan GTS 2023
JBA

Post by JBA »

Apologies I know Transfer Box as a subject has been covered or referenced on many threads before but I just wondered if anyne can give the definitive on what are the obvious signs to look out for if there is a Tranfer Box issue/failure?
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

reverse up an slight incline with full lock on......................... judderment.
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
JBA

Post by JBA »

bennachie wrote: ↑Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:15 pm reverse up an slight incline with full lock on......................... judderment.
Thanks bennachie.
I am getting a slight judder when I make a hard turn left or right. Almost feels like the tyres are skidding on something. But will reversing on incline bend or turn as you mention when I get a chance.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Is the Ackerman effect a thing in the Macan? That's what JBA's issue sound like. If so, it's normal and just physics.

I'm used to it in my 981 in cold weather. It's generally a low speed thing though, on full lock.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

DJMCUK wrote: ↑Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:21 pm Is the Ackerman effect a thing in the Macan? That's what JBA's issue sound like. If so, it's normal and just physics.

I'm used to it in my 981 in cold weather. It's generally a low speed thing though, on full lock.
Yep, the Ackermann effect does affect Macans, especially with wide profile tyres in cold weather.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
SimonH146

Post by SimonH146 »

JBA wrote: ↑Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:45 pm
bennachie wrote: ↑Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:15 pm reverse up an slight incline with full lock on......................... judderment.
Thanks bennachie.
I am getting a slight judder when I make a hard turn left or right. Almost feels like the tyres are skidding on something. But will reversing on incline bend or turn as you mention when I get a chance.
See this thread JBA, might be useful reading?

viewtopic.php?t=11752

I used to experience this on previous Mercedes GLC, especially on damp smooth floors in multi storey car parks. I have to regularly use full lock when parking at home and felt a much milder version with current Gen2 Macan Turbo on 21” summer tyres as it’s got colder. 19” winter wheels/tyres now fitted and now don’t notice it.
Now - Macan Turbo (MY20), Mamba Green/High Gloss Black :D
Cancelled due to COVID redundancy :-( - Macan S, Silver
JBA

Post by JBA »

Thanks all. Yes it could be the Ackermann effect as it happens at slow speed and cold, damp weather. One other thing that I've noticed is a slight steaming up of front and front side windows when I first start the car then it clears up within a minute or so. Could this be a sign of moisture leaking inside and therefore related to drainage, which I read in other posts, leads to TB failure?