Second thoughts….maybe

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jonpinky

Post by jonpinky »

Hi All,

Looking for some advice.

GTS ordered (PRCYRRA1) in June, 6 months later and I’m getting itchy feet, the market has moved and I’m starting to have second thoughts.

Currently debating between three cars, Macan GTS, M3 Touring and F-Pace SVR.

I really liked the Macan on test drive, but couple of things going around my head:
- Boot space – would there be enough room for a couple of sets of golf clubs and trolly? How does it compare to a 3 series touring (335d is current car) – looks big enough in showroom but how do people find it in the real world?
- Rear seat space – we have a 12 year old so not looking for 4 6 footers but how do people find this?
- The end of production has got me thinking too, will the resale values be hit? I know there are two schools of thought on this, values may go up with enthusiasts but overall would it be seen as old before its started.
- In car technology is a step on from what I’m used to but possibly behind some others, generally I prefer buttons and like the dials but actually liked the electronic dash of the others more than expected so playing on my mind.

M3
- I’ve wanted an M3 Touring since I was about 8. When I ordered the Macan these were out of my price range but the market has changed and there are quite a few available now.
- Test drove one and it’s a fantastic car, but the opportunities to use the performance are few and far between. My wife also thought it a bit ‘in your face’ / boy racery, which I don’t mind (quite like if I’m honest) but think it possibly rules it out.
- The nose is just plain ugly too (although better in a darker colour).

Jaguar
- Bit of a left field option as I didn’t really want an SUV (which is why I like the Macan as it’s a bit in between).
- Took one for a test drive and really enjoyed it, although it is a big car. The engine is amazing, but is that a novelty that will wear off?
- Is reliability a worry?

It’s a huge purchase for us so just want to make the right choice – am I worried about nothing or are some of the concerns valid? Have others looked at similar options?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Macan GTS (April 2024) - PRHFCP21

Marra

Post by Marra »

The boot on the Macan is quite modest given the overall size of the car. I play golf and can get my Motocaddy and clubs in but have to remove the woods from my trolley bag. If there are two of us I have to put the back seats down.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

DO NOT BUY A JAG!

We went to test an F-Pace years ago. The one in the showroom had its tailgate open. My wife went to lift the under floor cover and the handle came away in her hand. We had an hour's test drive - but drove out, down the dual carriageway, back, and in again. 5 minutes. "Horrible wallowing barge" was my comment iirc.

Many of my clients work for JLR and always confirm quality is crap. Rusting chassis, rusty parts, buttons which ping off across the cabin...

Prior to the Macan we had 10 BMWs over 37 years. The last "ultimate driver's car' was an E46 330ci cab. After that they went downhill, although the last one, an X1, was quite good as an SUV (bigger in the rear seats than the Macan). Tried a new Z4 a few weeks ago. Horrible. Bouncy suspension, awful seats, weird steering. Another 5 minute test drive. That's us done with BMW.

Macan is an old design but my wife wanted a 'high up' car again, after the X1, and it ticked all the boxes. For me, having a 981 Cayman, it allows me to almost duplicate the driving performance whilst going out with her and the dogs, or on holiday, etc.
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

If you put the seat backs down there's plenty of room for two sets of clubs in the back.
On the performance front, all three choices are beset with the same problem of you very rarely being able to use all the available performance.
Reliability? I would have thought the SVR will more likely be going back to the dealership than the others.

On the second thoughts front, me too. I can't get comfy in the 14-ways, not like I did in my Cayenne, so I may be going back.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I expect that as you’ve posted this on the Macan forum, the advice will be to stick with the GTS! 😁

I’m afraid I have no experience with your other two alternatives, but having owned two Macan S, I can recommend them, however, the rear passenger space is rather cramped for the size of the car, especially for taller people.

As I’m not a golfer, I can’t help re the boot space for your clubs and trolley, but I’m sure there are other members who can 👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
2japs

Post by 2japs »

I’ve had my S for 6months now and no downsides, get the golf bag and electric trolley in no bother, 2 sets you may have to use one of the split folding rear seats. I have 10 year old and 4 year (car seat) g/ kids and no issues in the back but I’m short legged!
Also have 2 small dogs and are quite happy in the back.

Imo the Macan is a great all rounder, decent pace and handling, reasonable space and deffo fun to drive.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
jonpinky

Post by jonpinky »

Thanks, good feedback and yes I was expecting to have the Macan bias here :)
Macan GTS (April 2024) - PRHFCP21
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

jonpinky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:58 pm......
- Boot space – would there be enough room for a couple of sets of golf clubs and trolly? How does it compare to a 3 series touring (335d is current car) – looks big enough in showroom but how do people find it in the real world?........
Just ring up your SE and arrange to pop in with all the golf paraphernalia and try it out. I did this before I bought a 420 convertible to put my mind at rest
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Where to start???
Macan is a fantastic all rounder but doesn’t have the pace of the BM or the space (or engine) of the FPace. I had an FPace and found it reliable but it wasn’t an SVR.
I think the Jag and the Beemer will lose money quicker than a crack addict where as the GTS will lose very slowly.
BM and Jag will be light years ahead in tech and BM in particular has a superior interior but…
The Porsche is a consummate all rounder- did I mention that?
Of those three you mentioned I can’t help thinking you should stick to the GTS, even if you have to fold the seats to get the second set of clubs in 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Neither the BMW or SVR will handle like the Macan does. The Macan is almost in a class of its own when it comes to handling 😉
Macan S MY 2023