Stop/start when slowing and stopping...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kevreb123

Post by kevreb123 »

My 2018 SD only switches off when at a complete standstill also depends on engine temp before it first kicks in.
Hope this helps.

samg

Post by samg »

My 23 S does it - much more eager to stop than my wife's 991. And yes, the power steering is lost.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Mine is at a complete stop, but i hate this so my start up ritual always includes immediately switching it off 😉
Macan S MY 2023
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I've never noticed the engine stopping while still in motion, so either it's a no or just it's not bothered me. I favour the first.
Last edited by Neil1911 on Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

2japs wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:30 pm
AllanG wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:29 pm Isn’t this just the auto stop/start working? What happens if you turn this function off manually?

Yip, mine does it literally a couple of yards of say stopping at lights and it’s deffo the stop stat function.
I guess you may think it's normal if you haven't experienced how it should work, i.e. the engine doesn't stop until the car has come to a complete halt, as in my 981.

Of course it could be "how the Macan does it" but if it doesn't happen to some here I'd say for sure it's a faulty sensor telling the engine the car has stopped when it hasn't.

Thanks for you help. I'll report it to the OPC for them to fix next week. I'll report back what they say/do.
2japs

Post by 2japs »

DJMCUK wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:54 pm
2japs wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:30 pm
AllanG wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:29 pm Isn’t this just the auto stop/start working? What happens if you turn this function off manually?

Yip, mine does it literally a couple of yards of say stopping at lights and it’s deffo the stop stat function.
I guess you may think it's normal if you haven't experienced how it should work, i.e. the engine doesn't stop until the car has come to a complete halt, as in my 981.

Of course it could be "how the Macan does it" but if it doesn't happen to some here I'd say for sure it's a faulty sensor telling the engine the car has stopped when it hasn't.

Thanks for you help. I'll report it to the OPC for them to fix next week. I'll report back what they say/do.

Mmm… will take a bit more notice next time out.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Every car I’ve had with stop/start does this if you are slowed right down but still creeping forward. It’s normal, working as designed. Was the main reason I always turned off start/stop in my Mercedes, but now I’m used to it I don’t care so much about it in my Macan so I leave it on.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yep, I usually turn auto stop start off, but when I have used it occasionally on the 911 it will do this sometimes. It depends how you come to a stop, if slowly drawing to a halt and releasing the brake a few seconds before rolling to a stop the engine may cut before you stop. I don’t see it as a fault and I suspect the OPC won’t either.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Moriarty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:29 pm Every car I’ve had with stop/start does this if you are slowed right down but still creeping forward. It’s normal, working as designed. Was the main reason I always turned off start/stop in my Mercedes, but now I’m used to it I don’t care so much about it in my Macan so I leave it on.
Nope. Our old X1 didn't do it, neither does my 981.

It makes sense to have actually stopped before switching off the engine and power steering, doesn't it?

Think about it... creeping forward in traffic? You don't want it to switch off the engine whilst you're moving with the traffic, only when you've stopped.

Mercedes is no great example. I had to turn off my E-Class auto high beam as it would dip at the reflective bend signs on a windy road. Not the best time to do that!
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:22 pm Yep, I usually turn auto stop start off, but when I have used it occasionally on the 911 it will do this sometimes. It depends how you come to a stop, if slowly drawing to a halt and releasing the brake a few seconds before rolling to a stop the engine may cut before you stop. I don’t see it as a fault and I suspect the OPC won’t either.
Funnily enough Nick when I'm slowly drawing to a halt, I release the brake to stop the engine cutting out. I particularly use this technique in stop/start traffic when I can see the queue is starting to move and I want to prevent stop/start activating. If the queue is long then I turn stop/start off but as I like the "cruise" function I normally leave it on. It was so much easier with the SD because I used the diamond button to quickly turn stop/start off but I'm using that button to turn on surround view when exiting blind junctions.

AS a digression, my wife's Tiguan stop/start also cuts in if slowly braking to a standstill. What's even more annoyiing with that system is if the car has been at a standstill for more than a second it wont restart until the throttle is pressed. Just releasing the brake has no effect (the car is still held by the auto-standstill brake).
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel