2018 Macan GTS or 2020 GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

MikeM wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:21 pm
BanZ wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:59 pm
sd1985 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:16 pm I’d go with MK2 GTS out of those options (MK3 GTS for me is the best macan I’ve owned and driven. But appreciate budget won’t extend).

You can pick one up for £55k from Porsche, 2020 plate, 30k miles in crayon :)

MK1 GTS looks great but starting to age, and for the slightly more money I’d prefer to go into the MK2 newer shape.

Although some have said think about an MK3 S with a light spec, I’d much rather have a MK2 GTS over a lightly specced MK3 S.
For that money you could get a gen3 S, which has exactly the same engine producing the same amount of power but it would be a 21/22 plate with half the mileage of the one you listed above. Seems a no brainier to me - if it makes folks feel better you can get a magnetic G and T on eBay for about £5….
OP states he wants a GTS and that’s his personal preference. Your last comment here is really not at all helpful and somewhat immature. Get a grip. 😏
How is it not helpful? It’s pointing out that the gen3 S is the same engine as the gen2 GTS - likewise gen2 turbo is the same as gen3 GTS. You can get much better value for money in terms of the age of car and mileage and get the exact same engine if you don’t worry about badge prestige. He may decide that’s not for him but it’s good to be armed with the facts. Get a grip?

sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

sd1985 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:16 pm I’d go with MK2 GTS out of those options (MK3 GTS for me is the best macan I’ve owned and driven. But appreciate budget won’t extend).

You can pick one up for £55k from Porsche, 2020 plate, 30k miles in crayon :)

MK1 GTS looks great but starting to age, and for the slightly more money I’d prefer to go into the MK2 newer shape.

Although some have said think about an MK3 S with a light spec, I’d much rather have a MK2 GTS over a lightly specced MK3 S.
For that money you could get a gen3 S, which has exactly the same engine producing the same amount of power but it would be a 21/22 plate with half the mileage of the one you listed above. Seems a no brainier to me - if it makes folks feel better you can get a magnetic G and T on eBay for about £5….
OP states he wants a GTS and that’s his personal preference. Your last comment here is really not at all helpful and somewhat immature. Get a grip. 😏
It’s what happens on these forums, people promote the model they bought out of some validation required to justify why they purchased it I guess.

The poster wants a GTS, simple as that really. I’m not here to argue the merits of a MK3 S v MK2 GTS, it’s just my opinion that I’d prefer a MK2 GTS, probably because I’ve always just preferred the GTS look and spec irrespective of the performance/power being similar.
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

BanZ wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:50 pm

How is it not helpful? It’s pointing out that the gen3 S is the same engine as the gen2 GTS - likewise gen2 turbo is the same as gen3 GTS. You can get much better value for money in terms of the age of car and mileage and get the exact same engine if you don’t worry about badge prestige. He may decide that’s not for him but it’s good to be armed with the facts. Get a grip?
Depends on how you perceive value for money.

Badge prestige is an immature comment, I chose a GTS because I prefer the look and feel of the car over the S, I’ve owned an S before and I believe the GTS is the superior car - talking from experience and just my opinion. Nothing to do with badge prestige at all, it’s more value for money for me to buy a MK3 GTS over a MK3 S because I want all the additional spec it comes with, and prefer the car. People buy the higher spec/range model with cars for any number of reasons, I wouldn’t assume it’s to show off or any sort of badge prestige, it’s because they have a preference and wish to spend more.

It’s telling that a MK2 GTS is almost the same price as a MK3 S, clearly holds stronger residuals.

So if the poster prefers GTS spec then the value for money equation doesn’t really matter.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The interesting thing is that the OP [m30ndo] has never returned to this discussion and has only ever made this one post. :o :? :lol:

Yet here we are 5 pages of posts later! :ugeek:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:29 am The interesting thing is that the OP [m30ndo] has never returned to this discussion and has only ever made this one post. :o :? :lol:

Probably sitting back chewing popcorn whilst we all go in circles :)

Or realised he’s not going to get an answer here, just lots of differing opinions!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There is one thing about a GTS that I would be a bit miffed about.

The PSE, that is a £1500 inclusion in the standard specification that would be very little, if at all used by myself.

PSE drones very badly irrespective of model at a constant speed that I find intrusive and eventually irritating, whilst accelerating it does sound great but there again so does my non PSE Turbo.

Far better to forget about a GTS badge and find a Macan for the price one wants to pay but with the Included Options that you would want to spec on a new order.

EG:- 14 way seats, PASM, Air, ACC, PS+, spare, heated steering wheel, Pano etc.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:47 am There is one thing about a GTS that I would be a bit miffed about.

The PSE, that is a £1500 inclusion in the standard specification that would be very little, if at all used by myself.

PSE drones very badly irrespective of model at a constant speed that I find intrusive and eventually irritating, whilst accelerating it does sound great but there again so does my non PSE Turbo.

Far better to forget about a GTS badge and find a Macan for the price one wants to pay but with the Included Options that you would want to spec on a new order.

EG:- 14 way seats, PASM, Air, ACC, PS+, spare, heated steering wheel, Pano etc.
Yep makes sense, come in with your must haves, and find a car that matches them.
pmg

Post by pmg »

I agree with Col about the pse. The other issue for me with Gen 3 is 21 wheels amd impact on ride.

I would love to drive on British roads a GTS on 21 wheels in Sport suspension setting back to back against an S with air, Sc and 20 wheels and in sport plus suspension setting. I wonder how much difference there would be using revs between 2 and 5k.

Some say the GTS in sports plus is too stiff for Uk roads. the drive above may to confirm to me the S with air has a more fully usable collection of settings
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

sd1985 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:07 am
SAC1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:29 am The interesting thing is that the OP [m30ndo] has never returned to this discussion and has only ever made this one post. :o :? :lol:

Probably sitting back chewing popcorn whilst we all go in circles :)
I'm doing much the same, I find it hilarious how these threads take off!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

pmg wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:59 am I agree with Col about the pse. The other issue for me with Gen 3 is 21 wheels amd impact on ride.

I would love to drive on British roads a GTS on 21 wheels in Sport suspension setting back to back against an S with air, Sc and 20 wheels and in sport plus suspension setting. I wonder how much difference there would be using revs between 2 and 5k.

Some say the GTS in sports plus is too stiff for Uk roads. the drive above may to confirm to me the S with air has a more fully usable collection of settings
having driven an S without PSE It felt very muted in comparison and took much of the joy out of driving it, for me personally. So much so that I wouldn’t buy the car without it now. But everyone will feel differently I appreciate.

I also find the 21s more than comfortable, no complaints on ride quality at all. I’ve had air on 20’s and 21’s on previously owned macans and there is zero drop for me in ride quality. Again my honest opinion on it.

I live in Scotland and have used it on country and city roads and it felt great to me.

Perhaps an S on 20’s would feel more comfortable but not sure It would make a noticeable difference for me to give up the look of the 21’s (I think they look better personally)