Macan S Stock vs Sport Exhaust

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

I have asked my SE to take video for the sounds based on 4 different modes ( stock normal & sport+; PSE normal & sport+). I am very suprised that the differences in exhaust sounds are very little and so I am going to skip this option.

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

CKMAC wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:00 pm I have asked my SE to take video for the sounds based on 4 different modes ( stock normal & sport+; PSE normal & sport+). I am very suprised that the differences in exhaust sounds are very little and so I am going to skip this option.
Probably because the Gen 3 V6 setup is pretty good out of the box 😉
Macan S MY 2023
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Also flaps close in sports+ as Porsche believe it should be full on mode with no impingement - apparently…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

Jon A wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:43 pm Also flaps close in sports+ as Porsche believe it should be full on mode with no impingement - apparently…
So, the flaps are close even Sport+ button is on?
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

CKMAC wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:05 pm
Jon A wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:43 pm Also flaps close in sports+ as Porsche believe it should be full on mode with no impingement - apparently…
That’s what I have read. PSE active in sport or in normal mode when button pressed. However, Porsche want sport+ to be 11 out of 10 mode so no sports exhaust as it is very marginally less efficient.
Somebody who knows for sure will come on shortly and confirm or dispel.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Jon A wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:37 pm
That’s what I have read. PSE active in sport or in normal mode when button pressed. However, Porsche want sport+ to be 11 out of 10 mode so no sports exhaust as it is very marginally less efficient.
Think you’re correct Jon. Porsche are very open about PSE being for sound enhancement only. Can’t speak for later Macan variants but my Sept ‘16 Turbo only did the PSE exhaust pops and bangs in the Sport setting, not in Sport+.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:01 am
Jon A wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:37 pm

Think you’re correct Jon. Porsche are very open about PSE being for sound enhancement only. Can’t speak for later Macan variants but my Sept ‘16 Turbo only did the PSE exhaust pops and bangs in the Sport setting, not in Sport+.
I have asked my SE to take video again for the Sport mode as I didn't know that Sport+ mode doesn't create pops and bangs which I would like to have occasionally.

Can someone confirm that Gen 3 S stock exhaust in Sport mode will make 'pops and bangs' sound? Thanks.
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

In my Macan Gen 3 GTS my PSE is absolutely ON (valves open, pops and bangs) in Sports+ and Sports.

You do get less "farts" on upshift as it has a faster gear change in Sports+.

It's perhaps worth understanding why the car produces these sounds in the first place.

Porsche employ a strategy to keep turbo pressure on gear change by keeping the throttle open momentarily without firing the injectors when throttle is cut. This has the effect of throwing lots of air through your engine which thereby keeps pressure in your turbo, ready for when your gear change completes and throttle/fuel returns. If you don't change gear the engine ECU still employs the same strategy which gives you your pops on overrun / lift off, and your farts on gearchange.

This cold air (and perhaps a tiny bit of unburnt fuel) then meets your hot exhaust and expands rapidly - which gives you your pops.

So - there is a performance reason for the pops and bangs. They are not superficial like other brands. Hence, why you get them in both Sport and Sports+.

You can watch more here where they specifically mention Porsche's approach.

Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Plyphon wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:47 am In my Macan Gen 3 GTS my PSE is absolutely ON (valves open, pops and bangs) in Sports+ and Sports.

It's perhaps worth understanding why the car produces these sounds in the first place.

Porsche employ a strategy to keep turbo pressure on gear change by keeping the throttle open momentarily without firing the injectors when throttle is cut. This has the effect of throwing lots of air through your engine which thereby keeps pressure in your turbo, ready for when your gear change completes and throttle/fuel returns. If you don't change gear the engine ECU still employs the same strategy which gives you your pops on overrun / lift off, and your farts on gearchange.

This cold air (and perhaps a tiny bit of unburnt fuel) then meets your hot exhaust and expands rapidly - which gives you your pops.

So - there is a performance reason for the pops and bangs. They are not superficial like other brands. Hence, why you get them in both Sport and Sports+.

And that, in the words of James O'Brien is
"Definitive" 🤔
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Plyphon wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:47 am In my Macan Gen 3 GTS my PSE is absolutely ON (valves open, pops and bangs) in Sports+ and Sports.

Quite enjoyed the video, decent presenters, informative if a bit nerdy, I’ll get my anorak……
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo