SPORT PLUS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

m30ndo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:10 am Mike,

So you don’t think I need the Sport+ doesn’t change the note of the exhaust at all????

Isn’t there a ‘custom’ build option with Sport plus so you can build the exact drive settings you want?
Think our other forum members have provided their full wisdom around the subject. As already said it makes no difference to the exhaust volume just a bit of angry over-revving.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

m30ndo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:10 am Mike,

So you don’t think I need the Sport+ doesn’t change the note of the exhaust at all????

Isn’t there a ‘custom’ build option with Sport plus so you can build the exact drive settings you want?
The exhaust note will be dependent upon the setting you apply to the PSE, ie on or off.

All the SC does is give different Engine and Gearbox maps which gives a more aggressive gearchange using max revs. It also puts the PASM in mode 3 which is two LED’s showing, the PASM setting can be cycled between each of the settings. At least that is how it used to work, the horrible touch sensitive system may be different. I understand that the SC stalk has a Custom setting.

Quite honestly I would not get your knickers in a twist about Sport+ as with 440 horses a stamp on the go pedal will get you at license loosing speeds very rapidly irrespective of the settings.

If you have not yet been to the PEC then do go before your GTS arrives, there the Instructor will go through whatever you want him to do once you have stopped playing Boy Racer around the circuits.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Sport modes on the standard Macan definitely open the exhaust valves. Not sure what you mean by only performing remapping as once those valves are open the sound changes dramatically.
Macan S MY 2023
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Skyway wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:35 pm Sport modes on the standard Macan definitely open the exhaust valves. Not sure what you mean by only performing remapping as once those valves are open the sound changes dramatically.
Nope, plant my right foot in my Turbo and it growls in Comfort mode as it takes off like a scalded cat.

Start it up in either Comfort or Sport mode and the gate valves open and we have the burble, as soon as it changes into second gear the gate valves close.

Having no choice as to the valves open or not is annoying, if I leave home early then all my retired neighbours hear the loud burble of the car, its not very neighbourly.

Sport mode does not open the valves, if it did there would be no need for PSE.

There was a company who offered to insert a switch to enable the gate valves to be opened or closed at will thus saving a goodly amount of cash by omitting PSE.

Remapping is changing the characteristics of when and how the gears are changed.

In Sport+ mode the 0-60 dash was only improved by a small fraction of a second, hence hardly worth paying for.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
m30ndo

Post by m30ndo »

Thanks again for the responses.

Scooby the demo I drove had the wheel on the steering wheel and thus had sports + I was told by dealer the clock dash on the front meant it had Sports+ my steering wheel is the beautiful carbon steering wheel and doesn’t have that wheel but did have the clock on dash so presumed it had the SC but it turned out it was the compass NOT the timer….

Spoke to dealer and he said there’s really minimal difference but guess he would say that.

On another note was shocked to be lumped with a £500+ road tax bill, surely a main dealer would of added this….. Then to top it off he charged me delivery!!!! ( it’s 600 miles away )
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

In my Gen 3 GTS Sport mode 100% opens the valves, and normal mode 100% closes the valves.

I know, because I do it every time I start the car. Ignition on, turn the sport chrono to Sport (You can hear the valves open) - and start the car. You get full valve open cold start noises. Additionally, the "valves open" button on the centre console lights up when put into Sport to tell you the valves are open.

This doesn't happen in 'normal' mode and you get a quiet start noise (valves closed) and no light on your centre console for the exhaust valves, denoting they are closed.

The only time this changes is if you use the centre console to open the exhaust valves, thus overriding the drive mode setting.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

m30ndo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:45 am Thanks again for the responses.

Scooby the demo I drove had the wheel on the steering wheel and thus had sports + I was told by dealer the clock dash on the front meant it had Sports+ my steering wheel is the beautiful carbon steering wheel and doesn’t have that wheel but did have the clock on dash so presumed it had the SC but it turned out it was the compass NOT the timer….

Spoke to dealer and he said there’s really minimal difference but guess he would say that.

On another note was shocked to be lumped with a £500+ road tax bill, surely a main dealer would of added this….. Then to top it off he charged me delivery!!!! ( it’s 600 miles away )
I see, you haven't actually driven the car you're buying or seen it in the flesh ? Road tax is never included unfortunately.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

If it's not got the wheel on the steering wheel it's not got SC. Does it say it does on the spec sheet?

I've never had a dealer pay my road tax. Which dealers have you been to who have done that?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

AndyC160 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:45 am

If it's not got the wheel on the steering wheel it's not got SC. Does it say it does on the spec sheet?

I've never had a dealer pay my road tax. Which dealers have you been to who have done that?
I think you could have SC without the dial, I’m sure I’ve seen this in older cars with the dial replaced by buttons I.e. sports+ button on the consul?
It probably doesn’t come with individual mode or sport response feature though?
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Jon A wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:03 am
AndyC160 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:45 am

I think you could have SC without the dial, I’m sure I’ve seen this in older cars with the dial replaced by buttons I.e. sports+ button on the consul?
It probably doesn’t come with individual mode or sport response feature though?
Yes, you are correct on the older cars...I've seen it set out like you say on 991.1s.

I think the OP's car is a Gen 2 Macan though 🤔
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160