Gearbox failure warning

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
wooldric

Post by wooldric »

Hi all,
I picked up my new Macan T 3 weeks ago & been very happy with it but this evening got a warning about gearbox failure followed by start engine manually. I’ll obviously raise it with my OPC in the morning but has anyone come across this problem after 400 miles?

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

wooldric wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:56 pm Hi all,
I picked up my new Macan T 3 weeks ago & been very happy with it but this evening got a warning about gearbox failure followed by start engine manually. I’ll obviously raise it with my OPC in the morning but has anyone come across this problem after 400 miles?
That doesn’t ring any bells with me, after 7+ years on the forum.

‘’Start engine manually” ? I wonder what that means? Use a starting handle!?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Is it still showing?

Often simply turning the engine off then starting it clears a fault warning.

It is always a good idea to take images of the display showing the fault.

Frequently the OPC ends up saying that they cannot find a fault on the system.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
wooldric

Post by wooldric »

Thanks for the replies. Yes the warning is still showing. The engine starts and immediately turns itself off. The first warning relates to the gearbox then that is superseded by the manual start message. I thought I’d attached pics so will try again.
Those who saw my earlier post concerning the OPCs error when ordering my car will know that my Porsche experience this time round hasn’t gone well!
Thanks all

IMG_0898.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Your OPC really needs to come out and collect your car on a trailer. Refuse to drive it any further, so they can't use any excuse for getting out of any warranty claims.

Also, as you've not had a great experience with your dealer, phone Porsche GB customer services and log the fault with them. That way should the issue not be resolved with your OPC, you can start the process of refusing the car.
wooldric

Post by wooldric »

Thanks for the advice on logging the issue with Porsche UK. I’ll do that.
I’m still waiting for the Head of Sales to return my call / email!
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Suspect switches on the gear selector and it has turned the auto stop start system off. Try cycling the gear lever a few times and retry.
Then trailer to OPC if no joy.
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Tidesurge3

Post by Tidesurge3 »

You are certainly not having much luck with your car. Hopefully it’s a quick fix otherwise I would be rejecting the car.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRD69BS9 GTS on order for Mar 24 delivery.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Tidesurge3 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:26 am You are certainly not having much luck with your car. Hopefully it’s a quick fix otherwise I would be rejecting the car.
Best you can hope for is a faulty sensor, worst that the mechatronics system has failed. Either one is perfectly fixable although the latter very rare in a Macan.
Macan S MY 2023
wooldric

Post by wooldric »

Update:

Mid-afternoon today a Porsche Assistance expert arrived to assess the problem. He advised that this type of issue has been seen on Macan Turbo’s but is very unusual on a 2 litre model and unheard of on a car so new. He started by shifting the selector rapidly through P, R, N and D. This did not resolve the issue & after doing this a few times the car would no longer start. He then ran a diagnostic check which highlighted a number of transmission errors. He then performed a reset which cleared some but not all the fault codes. Finally he dis-connected and then reconnected the battery which cleared the error warnings and enabled the engine to fire. I then took the car on a test drive to see if the car had returned to full functionality, all appears to be running OK.

Hopefully that’s sorted it but I’m concerned that a reset may have just kicked the issue down the road rather than resolve any underlying fault. In any event I’ve registered the concern / complaint with Porsche UK.

My practical understanding of car mechanics ended with the Leyland A & B series engines so would appreciate feedback on whether or not I can now rest easy.

Thanks again for the helpful comments.