Macan bonnet construction

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I opened my bonnet earlier today and it struck me what a complex panel it is.

There are considerable areas that are double skinned including an area that seems to either feed or take air from the engine.

Does anyone know much about it's construction, i.e. is the skin spot welded on etc?
How is a double skinned panel put together in such a way that it doesn't apply unwanted tensions between surface panel and skinned panel?

I can see why Porsche have dropped the clamshell design on the EV, it really is a complex bonnet.
Macan S MY 2023

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

There is a documentary on the building of a Macan from start to finish where they talk about the bonnet - it's hand finished due to its complexity from memory.

I do love the clamshell with light cutouts, but I can see how simplifying the construction would be high on their list!

This is the documentary, but at 48 minutes long you'll have to find the bit about the bonnet yourself !
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

It is quite a work of art :D
pingman777

Post by pingman777 »

Hello - the title got my attention . I picked up my new 73 plate in Oct and I opened the bonnet and noticed some rubbing so not smooth like my old Diesel Macan. Also when i close the bonnet, its not exactly flush with the door panel and when i push against the non driver slide part of the bonnet , there is movement and noise but not on the driver side. i have it booked in with Porsche to have a look at . think i will watch the vid, thanks John
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

pingman777 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:06 pm Hello - the title got my attention . I picked up my new 73 plate in Oct and I opened the bonnet and noticed some rubbing so not smooth like my old Diesel Macan. Also when i close the bonnet, its not exactly flush with the door panel and when i push against the non driver slide part of the bonnet , there is movement and noise but not on the driver side. i have it booked in with Porsche to have a look at . think i will watch the vid, thanks John
Mine is aligned correctly but if I put pressure on the drivers rear side of the bonnet I can hear the polysteyrene creaking behind it , I asume this is normal as I can't hear anything when I'm driving.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

There are vast numbers of words on bonnet alignment to be found in this forum, it was a very, very, hot topic for a while.... must be a couple of years ago but I thought it had gone away now, maybe not 100%.
Skyway, remind me to ask next June when I'm in the factory ;)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP