Taycan £10K Deposit Contribution

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Bazza06 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:28 pm I’ve been driving an EV (Polestar) for the past 2 weeks. My first ever experience of an EV was a brief loaner from Porsche, the Taycan Turbo, an incredible car with acceleration like I’ve never experienced before, it was unbelievable.

The Polestar I’m currently in, it’s temporary for the next few months, has an 82KW battery, range is 330 miles, but I’d not consider it doing more than about 290, maybe 300.

With my home charger, and OVO as my energy provider, it costs £5.74 for a full charge.

The Polestar will do 0-62 in 5.9 seconds, but it feels quicker than the Macan GTS I previously owned.

I never thought I would be, but my head has been turned to the thought of having an EV permanently, and my choice would be the Taycan GTS Sport Turismo, but on the following conditions:

1) My daily drive would not require me to rely on public chargers (a fast charger costs about 65p per KW, compared to 7p using my home, but slower, charger)

2) I would not own the vehicle. I do not want to worry about future residual values.

3) I would have access to a second vehicle (ICE) for long journeys. As time goes on, EV range will increase.

EV’s and ICE vehicles are different beasts, and when I had my GTS I never tired of listening to the engine, but the incredible acceleration that I experienced in the Taycan blew my mind.
I can say that a Taycan GTS ST would be a very decent choice 😜

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’d rather the new Macan EV than any of those Taycans but then only on a company scheme. Would never actually buy one 😉
Macan S MY 2023
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

neilj007 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:39 am IMG_8807.jpeg

We now have a Macan for the longer motorway journeys and a Taycan Turbo as my daily driver which replaces the Zoe and can charge at home on Octopus tariffs.
I was with Octopus until I had the EV charger installed.

I moved to OVO as they have the "Charge Anytime" product, which allows reduced rates for EV charging 24/7. The current rate is 7p per KWh.
Octopus, at the time I was a customer, maybe it has now changed, would only give you reduced rates from midnight to 0500.

It seems crazy to talk about pennies when discussing cars that are £100K+, but there is a kind of thrill to think that you can do 250–300 miles for about £5 :D
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Skyway wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:04 am I’d rather the new Macan EV than any of those Taycans but then only on a company scheme. Would never actually buy one 😉
That could be the case when I see one, but having that brief experience with the Taycan Turbo, I couldn't compare with another EV Porsche.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:28 am
Vix wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:33 am Good to read another perspective but personally not convinced.
+1. I think most Taycans that I’ve seen out on the road look fabulous, and if I was forced to have an EV, I’d probably have a Taycan, possibly going for the Mission E look. 8-)

However, until charging infrastructure improves massively, and real world range increases to 400+ miles, I’ll be happily keeping my current wagon. ;)
Range anxiety and charging infrastructure are the biggest issues that the EV industry has to overcome, but if people are not doing long distances and have a home charger, I don't see it being a problem.

As I said in my previous post, I'm currently using a Polestar and I took it on a roundtrip of 270 miles in total. I had just over 50% battery remaining after the first 135 miles and, as a precaution, I went to a fast charger (50KW) and topped it up to 80%.

The app I use, tells me where the chargers are in the local area, their capacity and availability. Of course, the status could change by the time you get there, and that is when problems start, because it's not a question of waiting a few minutes as you would at a petrol station.

I'm still a petrol head, but EV's are a different experience and one that we are being pushed towards.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I also like the look of the Macan EV but the problem is that it won’t handle anything like a Taycan. I had a Macan GTS for 4 years and the Taycan ride and handling is miles ahead, so flat through corners and totally composed.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MCDK wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:21 pm I also like the look of the Macan EV but the problem is that it won’t handle anything like a Taycan. I had a Macan GTS for 4 years and the Taycan ride and handling is miles ahead, so flat through corners and totally composed.

Yep, when you see one out on the open road, it looks as low & well planted as a 911. 8-)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

MCDK wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:21 pm I also like the look of the Macan EV but the problem is that it won’t handle anything like a Taycan. I had a Macan GTS for 4 years and the Taycan ride and handling is miles ahead, so flat through corners and totally composed.
The test driver at the Leipzig PEC made the Macan EV handle to an extent I could never match so that’s good enough for me. Very few opportunities on our roads to get close to that in anything. Most Taycans I see are trundling in the middle lane doing bang on 70 for fear of losing their range 😉
Macan S MY 2023
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

There always seems to be anti EV sentiment on here and quite a bit of anti Taycan too 🤔
If you just compare a Taycan with a Macan purely as a car, the Taycan is quicker, handles better, is more luxurious (and roomy) and it’s tech is miles better…

Macan is a great car but so is a Taycan (probably better) and you can buy a six month old Taycan for the same money as a six month old Macan GTS right now so if it fits your lifestyle, it’s a great choice. Particularly as GFV on Taycan is higher % than Macan! 🤷‍♂️
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

This GFV thing is a myth. Porsche are not guaranteeing it is worth that. It’s just a figure that helps the assessment of the monthly payment or what you’ll have to pay for it if you decide to keep, which at Taycan depreciation is likely to be way higher than a trade price, therefore leaving returning the vehicle the only viable option. There’s not gonna be even a pound of equity left in it 😉

Macan S MY 2023