Oil Level

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
DMUK

Post by DMUK »

Alright, cool. Thanks for the advise!
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:17 pm
DMUK wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:26 pm Well, I do have the Oil needs changing warning as well. But I am sure the Oil level is above maximum is because I have put in too much :(
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:16 pm

Sounds like the car wants/needs an oil change, rather than just draining a little bit out. 🤔

Yes, agreed, but I think the oil change warning came up, then you added some more oil by mistake. Just get an oil change done ASAP and all should be fine. :)

DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

The first I heard of opening the boot was when my dash cam caught a senior technician telling a delivery driver how to check the oil on my 981.
This was a few years ago. I think it went something like... ignition on, open boot, go to checkout level in r/h display, check.
I recounted this amusing story to the SQS gold technician who came to collect our Macan S. He didn't laugh, just said "that's correct" and explained again how and why. But I was so taken aback I didn't really listen fully.
Maybe ask your own OPC for the full procedure?
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

DJMCUK wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:12 pm Did you know you have to open the tailgate to read the oil correctly?

I scoffed at this previously, but two technicians have told me this independently. It alerts the car to being interrogated and only then gives a correct reading.
I'm guessing it may also tell the car it's static (but not if it's on level ground... or does it know this through the level sensor?).

On the move readings are not so accurate I'm told.
Of course the other way is to RTFM and follow the instructions. Make sure the car is properly warmed up. Park it on the level, shut down and leave for five minutes then check the oil level. If you leave it for more than around ten minutes it refuses to give a reading so that's probably where the tailgate trick comes in handy.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Does this 'hack' fix the 'no reading' if the bonnet has been opened?
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'