Theft Incident - Need Advice on Auto-Lock Feature

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Hopefully nothing too valuable stolen.

I am quite guilty of leaving our cars unlocked 🙈🙈

On the plus side at least no damage (I hope!).

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

ScotMac wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:24 pm Hopefully nothing too valuable stolen.

I am quite guilty of leaving our cars unlocked 🙈🙈

On the plus side at least no damage (I hope!).
Quite an interesting thought…
If you make sure there is nothing in it to steal, is it better to leave unlocked as this negates ingress damage. Maybe 9/10 they go away with nothing stolen and no damage done - they might steal the car of course but if this was the plan all along, a locked door isn’t going to stop this?? 🤔
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

It’s a funny one. If the car was simply left unlocked, why did the headlights activate? Surely this only happens when the car unlocks?

But the open mirrors would suggest it was unlocked. Unless you don’t have autofold activated.

It’s funny though, where I live there is a local Facebook group. The amount of people who don’t lock their cars resulting in thefts from them is amazing. Then complain when all our cctv systems pick out individuals wondering around at 2am try door handles.

Maybe cars with keyless go make people forget to physically lock the car, and assume it’ll just do it itself. Given it’s usually people biggest asset after their home. Lock the thing !
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Many moons ago I never locked my convertible MGB. Never left anything in it. The theory was if there is nothing in it and it is 'open' 'they' wont slash the roof to get in.

It was different times though in '75/'76
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

wab172uk wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:33 pm It’s a funny one. If the car was simply left unlocked, why did the headlights activate? Surely this only happens when the car unlocks?
Headlights and puddle lights activate when the car is unlocked in the first instance, then deactivate after a time period. If the car remains unlocked, they then activate again when the door is opened.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
2japs

Post by 2japs »

bennachie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:17 pm Many moons ago I never locked my convertible MGB. Never left anything in it. The theory was if there is nothing in it and it is 'open' 'they' wont slash the roof to get in.

Had my MGB at the same time, the summer of 76 was great😎 the top was never up for about 4 months!
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:24 pm
Skyway wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:09 pm
SAC1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:11 pm Using the MyPorsche App, you can check (remotely) from anywhere to see if your car is locked. White tick in the green circle by vehicle symbol = locked. Red = unlocked.
If you believe it. I found this really unreliable. I always check for the flashing red LED
Never failed for me. In fact finding it unlocked occasionally, using the App, has been a Macan saver! :o :roll:
My Porsche does not work for me.

I cannot see the Functions, it gives the message Connect Services Inactive and directs me to the Vodafone Connect website.

As I will never subscribe to Vodafone for anything I have always assumed that to get these car functions requires a Live Vodafone subscription or to have a Macan that is still in the “freebie” period.

I did have the Function for the first 18 months / 2 years whatever it was at the time but as the Tracker was next to useless there was no point, then the Mrs had a helloveatime with her mobile provider which is when I christened them Vodaphoney.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:11 pm Using the MyPorsche App, you can check (remotely) from anywhere to see if your car is locked. White tick in the green circle by vehicle symbol = locked. Red = unlocked.
If you believe it. I found this really unreliable. I always check for the flashing red LED
Never failed for me. In fact finding it unlocked occasionally, using the App, has been a Macan saver! :o :roll:
Mine often did the opposite. Told me the car was unlocked only to walk all the way back and find it locked 🤨
Macan S MY 2023
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

2japs wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:15 pm
bennachie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:17 pm Many moons ago I never locked my convertible MGB. Never left anything in it. The theory was if there is nothing in it and it is 'open' 'they' wont slash the roof to get in.

Had my MGB at the same time, the summer of 76 was great😎 the top was never up for about 4 months!
76…😎 My sister had a MGB and I had a VW van, we lived on the coast, that year mine was more fun 🥳😍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Skyway wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:59 pm

Mine often did the opposite. Told me the car was unlocked only to walk all the way back and find it locked 🤨
The only one time I’ve actually looked at the app, it told me my car was unlocked too.

Went outside, door mirrors folded in, pull on handle, locked. Waste of time.

Never looked at the app since.