Soddin’ SatNav.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Scoobyd

Post by Scoobyd »

Another vote for Waze here. Been using it for more years than I care to remember and always been excellent given the community it has and real time updates for all manner of things.
Porsche Macan GTS Gen 1
2003 E46 BMW 330ci Sport Convertible

AUTOBUMP2007

Post by AUTOBUMP2007 »

Just waiting on my first Porsche, should be here next month. Does the inbuilt sat nav work with what3words?
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

AUTOBUMP2007 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:19 pm Just waiting on my first Porsche, should be here next month. Does the inbuilt sat nav work with what3words?
Congrats on your first Porsche 👍

As far as I’m aware…no the inbuilt sat nav doesn’t work with what3words.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Been out again and made it to the Store in question, been there many times so no need for the SatNav from home to the Store.

I then wanted to go from this Store to another in a different Town so keyed in the name of the business and it gave a list of all the stores, Bolton, Blackpool, Liverpool but no Leyland, ahhh well I went a route I know well.

I did use Postcodes for the trips yesterday.

If I’m going any distance I have Waze set up but I do not have a phone holder in the car so it rests near the gear stick
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
happy days

Post by happy days »

I wish there was a function on Sat Nav systems where you could plan a route in advance. I did a trip around the Rhine & Moselle valleys last year but couldn't find a decent way to naviagate while on the move. Easy enough when you hit the rivers, but getting to them from the airport via my chosen route was difficult. Not every one want's to go the quickest way!
Macan S D
718 S
pmg

Post by pmg »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:45 pm Been out again and made it to the Store in question, been there many times so no need for the SatNav from home to the Store.

I then wanted to go from this Store to another in a different Town so keyed in the name of the business and it gave a list of all the stores, Bolton, Blackpool, Liverpool but no Leyland, ahhh well I went a route I know well.

I did use Postcodes for the trips yesterday.

If I’m going any distance I have Waze set up but I do not have a phone holder in the car so it rests near the gear stick
I tend to use Google search to select destinations for the Porsche Sat Nav rather than the in-built database or postcodes. That is possible on Gen 2and Gen3 cars with the later PCMs, not sure if possible on Gen1?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

happy days wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm I wish there was a function on Sat Nav systems where you could plan a route in advance. I did a trip around the Rhine & Moselle valleys last year but couldn't find a decent way to naviagate while on the move. Easy enough when you hit the rivers, but getting to them from the airport via my chosen route was difficult. Not every one want's to go the quickest way!
There is, its built in. You can plan the route on your phone in the My Porsche App, and send it to the car. I've done that and stored it in the car, next step is to find it in the car and activate it. I'm looking at it for the PCGB trip to Leipzig et al come June. I think the Sat Nav is brill, just maybe not idiot proof :lol: :lol: :lol: NO OFFENCE INTENDED.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

happy days wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm I wish there was a function on Sat Nav systems where you could plan a route in advance. I did a trip around the Rhine & Moselle valleys last year but couldn't find a decent way to naviagate while on the move. Easy enough when you hit the rivers, but getting to them from the airport via my chosen route was difficult. Not every one want's to go the quickest way!
We did that route many years ago on our motorcycles.

Programmed all the routes at home, created further routes and favourites for the attractions.

Connected up the Garmin and uploaded.

All worked a treat.

Just why we have to rely on a useless App is beyond me when loading to the car via an SD card or USB is by far a better way
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I entered the postcode for Hull OPC, into my sat nav. And ended up nowhere near where it was.
So then I entered the same postcode into Google maps on iPhone, same problem as sat nav, and that got me lost too. I resorted to getting the OPC page on the net. Then on its website, going to the location in its map section and following the directions. Hooray, I arrived.
It would seem that both sat nav, and Google maps are out of date.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

TheTraveller wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:57 pm I entered the postcode for Hull OPC, into my sat nav. And ended up nowhere near where it was.
So then I entered the same postcode into Google maps on iPhone, same problem as sat nav, and that got me lost too. I resorted to getting the OPC page on the net. Then on its website, going to the location in its map section and following the directions. Hooray, I arrived.
It would seem that both sat nav, and Google maps are out of date.
Why didn't you just tell it to "drive me to Porsche Hull" QED!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP