Electric steering column is back in the UK configurator

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
zzed

Post by zzed »

Hi folks,

Since last week, the removed electric steering column has returned as an option (only £149), but I have locked my spec since early Feburary, this is one of the option that I really liked, especially when we are paying £80k for a car, this is something I would hope as a standard option, I don't care about adjusting the position, but I do fancy the comfort access part of the package, it feel cool when it moves up and down, I know I am an idiot.

I have talked to my dealer and they confirm that it won't be possible to add this option since my spec has locked and they don't know if there will be kits available in the future to retrofit this, cancelling my order meaning 3k lose and few more month of waiting.

I think porsche is really nasty this time, they should really have option (to pay) to retrofit all of their cars which miss this option due to the chip shorter in the last 2 years, but now it seems that there is no way to do that.

Any one got any idea? Is this a feature you find useful? is it worth to cancel my order? I just felt I got stab in the back, my car is still with porsche in germany and I just can't add this stuff, I even consider doing off market, but I will lose my warranty...

Thank you

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Yes, cool, had it on my first but I don't miss it on this one, so not worth the hassle of you chasing it. IMHO
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

I suppose I might have specced this if it had been available, but since I got my car I never felt it would be enhanced by having an electric steering column. I think it’s pretty trivial. How often does anyone adjust the steering column? And how fat would you have to be to need the steering wheel to move so you can get into the car? It might have made sense if my wife and I wanted to set the wheel in different positions, but we don’t even though she’s tiny.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Neil1911 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:21 am Yes, cool, had it on my first but I don't miss it on this one, so not worth the hassle of you chasing it. IMHO
^^^^ +1 for me
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Kiernan

Post by Kiernan »

Like you, I would have liked this on my car, but my spec locked in a few months ago and the car is now in transit to the UK having been built last week. I have it on my 911 and whilst it's nice to have, it's not something that I feel is at all necessary, so it's not going to spoil the enjoyment of the new car in the slightest.

I suppose if Porsche offered a retrofit for the same price as the factory option I'd consider it, but there's no way I'd pay any more for something that you probably only adjust a few times a year.

I'm sure you won't even consider the lack of an electric steering column when you pick up your new toy.
2024 Macan GTS - Carmine Red
2017 911 Carrera GTS - Carmine Red
You could say I like Carmine Red
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

I have this on Macan and 981.
Worth £149 but not £3k, unless you're fat.
robbie

Post by robbie »

zzed wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:03 am Any one got any idea? Is this a feature you find useful? is it worth to cancel my order?
You asked if it was worth cancelling your order. I think you would be mad to do this, you will not miss this option once you have taken ownership
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Certainly nice to have especially if you have different drivers with different needs but on mine I set it once and have not touched it since and have never used the comfort access feature.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

mueslibrown wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:48 pm Certainly nice to have especially if you have different drivers with different needs but on mine I set it once and have not touched it since and have never used the comfort access feature.
Good point... my wife and I drive the Macan 50/50 so we press 1 or 2 as we enter and the steering wheel moves ever so slightly.

Does make exit/entry easier as the seat moves back and wheel up as you prepare to exit, and in/down when you're back in.

But I wouldn't worry if I were you.
zzed

Post by zzed »

Thank you so much everyone for the comments and assurance, I am not bothered now, my wife and I is about the same height and we are quite skinny, so all good now, looking forward to the new toy!!!