New Member / potential purchase

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:51 am
Honestly for a daily Mway cruiser of the miles you quote I would not get a Macan, I would go for something bigger and even more comfortable.
So, maybe a Panamera? I owned one for a year. Really good, sporty exec saloon. 8-)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman »

SportsExhaust wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:42 pm Hi All, new to the forum so please forgive me :D

Essentially, I've grown sick of my company supplied EV and have opted (at significant cost) to terminate my contract early, with my car collected soon.

Fortunately I have access to another car, but I don't wish to use it for an extended period as I bought it for my daughter lol

I don't have to rush a purchase and there are other factors at play, mainly the sale of my weekend toy to sort a bit of a deposit.

I've never had a Porsche, always wanted one and now might be the time.

I could get a Taycan / Cayenne / Panamera through work, but the lease deals, even through work, are expensive.

Went to my local OPC to look at Macans and was really impressed, especially with how the interior has held up on their high mileage 2018 turbo.

I understand they are generally very reliable (cough transfer case cough), but how risky would a 94000 mile turbo be, given it would be under Porsche warranty for 2-3 years?

I'm only looking at dealer supplied cars, ideally turbo and upto £50k tops.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Welcome to the forum. Nice exercise to have to go through.

From a Porsche perspective and with your budget I would recommend looking at the Gen 1 Macan GTS or Turbo. I found Cayenne just too big.

There are quite a few GTS and Turbos (including turbo performance pack) at the £40-45k mark currently listed on the Porsche used / approved site with relatively low mileage. I’m not sure what sort of mileage you had in mind but at that starting price I can’t see them depreciating anywhere like what you mentioned in the short / medium term.

I have a Turbo PP (only available as Gen 1) and it’s great. Very comfortable and fast when you want it to be and comparatively nimble on the A and B roads. The interior is very solid and holds up well.

A late model (2017) should get you the more modern Infosystem with Apple CarPlay and peace of mind from an age related reliability perspective. You’re also right not to veer far from used / approved as there are enough things that can go wrong which won’t be cheap to resolve at your own expense.

Good luck
Current
- Macan Turbo PP
- 997 GTS
- Mercedes Benz R107 300SL

Previous
- 993 Turbo X50
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Welcome, no forgiveness needed.

I personally would try and get the newest car within your budget, the S seems sensible with your preferred options but I’m probably bias 😳.
Good luck in your quest 👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

With that motorway mileage also consider a Base 2l as just for cruising it will be fine, not much difference in mpg but you will be able to get a newer car for your budget. There are numerous threads here about the 2l v V6 with some useful advice but in summary test drive both.
All Macans offer far better driver feedback / enjoyment than any other SUV on the market.
Personally I would spend the extra and buy from a Porsche dealer just to get the excellent warranty.
2023 Macan S
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

If you need four seats regularly then do check out the rear room - its not as a much as you think from the outside.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
Iceicebaby

Post by Iceicebaby »

SportsExhaust wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:30 am
Neil1911 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:18 am You'll lose more on any other brand.
Porsche residuals do seem to be higher.

I plan to HP rather than PCP but that could change ultimately depending on total interest charges etc
Not sure how much finance you are looking for, but you can get a personal loan for around 6.5% (depending on circumstances). Given that Porsche will be around 11.5%, going down the personal loan route might in effect increase your budget?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:11 am
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:51 am
Honestly for a daily Mway cruiser of the miles you quote I would not get a Macan, I would go for something bigger and even more comfortable.
So, maybe a Panamera? I owned one for a year. Really good, sporty exec saloon. 8-)
As an Mway cruiser, bigger and higher is better, not sat on a low tea tray with four wheels
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SportsExhaust

Post by SportsExhaust »

Thanks for all the posts.

I spent a long time on the Taycan forums a couple of years ago so became quite familiar with Porsche options etc lol

The turbo I sat in (high miles) had the 18w seats and although i wasn't in them long, I loved them. Might change over a long drive, but hard to tell at this stage.

I would definitely not consider the 2.0, I mean zero offence to anyone who has one etc I've had plenty of 2.0 turbos and I'm going back to a 6 cylinder, I'll suck up the fuel bill.

I do 15k miles on the motorway, obviously that would direct me to certain spec, but I think I'll struggle to find my perfect car on my budget.

Would love to order new, but the only way I could possibly do that is a salary sacrifice cayenne, as I don't have a large deposit.

My mate is ordering a £76k macan with 30k down and I could only just cover his monthly, so I'm not there.

Personal loan, I'd need 40k and they are don't come easily or at favourable interest rates unfortunately.
SportsExhaust

Post by SportsExhaust »

Just to add, rear room I noticed looks tight, but ultimately I don't use it that much.

Also, I have an early termination fee to pay off which has to be recovered through my salary. Clearing this will ultimately determine when I can actually move forward with a purchase.

I outlined my fag packet maths in the new joiners section, but ultimately (assuming I sell the maserati) a £50k macan over 4 years will cost me around £42k assuming I sell for 25k and a brand spanker Cayenne £48k-£49k on lease. Both figures are with all costs covered.
SportsExhaust

Post by SportsExhaust »

FlyingDutchman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:50 am
SportsExhaust wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:42 pm Hi All, new to the forum so please forgive me :D

Essentially, I've grown sick of my company supplied EV and have opted (at significant cost) to terminate my contract early, with my car collected soon.

Fortunately I have access to another car, but I don't wish to use it for an extended period as I bought it for my daughter lol

I don't have to rush a purchase and there are other factors at play, mainly the sale of my weekend toy to sort a bit of a deposit.

I've never had a Porsche, always wanted one and now might be the time.

I could get a Taycan / Cayenne / Panamera through work, but the lease deals, even through work, are expensive.

Went to my local OPC to look at Macans and was really impressed, especially with how the interior has held up on their high mileage 2018 turbo.

I understand they are generally very reliable (cough transfer case cough), but how risky would a 94000 mile turbo be, given it would be under Porsche warranty for 2-3 years?

I'm only looking at dealer supplied cars, ideally turbo and upto £50k tops.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Welcome to the forum. Nice exercise to have to go through.

From a Porsche perspective and with your budget I would recommend looking at the Gen 1 Macan GTS or Turbo. I found Cayenne just too big.

There are quite a few GTS and Turbos (including turbo performance pack) at the £40-45k mark currently listed on the Porsche used / approved site with relatively low mileage. I’m not sure what sort of mileage you had in mind but at that starting price I can’t see them depreciating anywhere like what you mentioned in the short / medium term.

I have a Turbo PP (only available as Gen 1) and it’s great. Very comfortable and fast when you want it to be and comparatively nimble on the A and B roads. The interior is very solid and holds up well.

A late model (2017) should get you the more modern Infosystem with Apple CarPlay and peace of mind from an age related reliability perspective. You’re also right not to veer far from used / approved as there are enough things that can go wrong which won’t be cheap to resolve at your own expense.

Good luck
If I had the money now, the OPC near me has a MY20 turbo, great spec (apart from wheels yuck) in budget.

I'd have that.

I was amazed how well the leather has held up on the 94k mile one I saw, just unbelievable.