GTS - Acceptable wear and tear?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Pip07

Post by Pip07 »

As a newbie set on a Macan S, I’ve been distracted ;) by a GTS: 2018, 1 owner, 33k miles. Dithering as there are a few things that need sorting out. Would you expect to find these in a GTS of this age/mileage with a full POC service history?
1. Replace both rear brake pads
2. Replace rear tyre (P Zero Pirelli’s)
3. Re-furb 4 x alloys (Spyders 20”, matt)
4. Minor cosmetic fixes (paint touch up under front / back bumpers/2 tiny dings)
5. Noticeable rumble with ‘progressive’ acceleration (standard comfort setting…sports exhaust off!)
Last edited by Pip07 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Doesn’t sound it has been looked after and some items need addressed by an Indy or Porsche (esp if under extended warranty) eg rumbling and possibly brakes? But there is no compunction for an owner to address cosmetic issues eg curbed wheels. My dealer offers these services as they make money out of it.

Personally I’d look for a better car. What else has been scrimped on or ignored? My car is year older and 50k miles but zero issues as I get anything seen to as and when

If Porsche is selling the vehicle I’d expect all these things to be rectified before it was advertised
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Also one rear tyre or both? Tread depth across the axle need to be the same. The fronts should be no more than 3mm difference in depth to the rears.

2019 saw the introduction of the Gen2 Macan. Visually recognisable by the full width rear light bar, the wider sat nav screen etc.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Pip07 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:40 pm As a newbie set on a Macan S, I’ve been distracted ;) by a GTS: 2018, 1 owner, 33k miles. Dithering as there are a few things that need sorting out. Would you expect to find these in a GTS of this age/mileage with a full POC service history?
4. Minor cosmetic fixes (paint touch up under front / back bumpers/2 tiny dings)
5. Noticeable rumble with ‘progressive’ acceleration (standard comfort setting…sports exhaust off!)
Its not unreasonable, my 2020 MY S, bought new on 1 Sept 2019 needed:
1. Rear pads after 19k miles (seems letting ACC do all the braking speeds wear);
2. 4 new tyres after 13,500 miles, the two fronts, Michelins, were changed again 20k later;
3. Alloys only had 1 mark but they were 18" wheels;
4. My bonnet had a number of stone chips and there were a couple of small dings. WBAC knocked £728 off for them. You can't expect anything else from any car with 40k miles (mine) of use. Some Porsches do get mollycoddled to a greater extent though!
5. No comment, although some might find that desirable!
As you will have read in other threads buying from an OPC costs a bit extra but the warranty gives peace of mind for 5 above and 1-4 will usually have been sorted pre-sale. A private sale WITH balance of an (extendable) Porsche warranty is good, a bit more hassle getting the bits fixed maybe but probably cheaper overall. Good luck.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

If it's £20k maybe give it a go. If it's £40k don't.

What IS the price?
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:47 pm
Pip07 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:40 pm As a newbie set on a Macan S, I’ve been distracted ;) by a GTS: 2018, 1 owner, 33k miles. Dithering as there are a few things that need sorting out. Would you expect to find these in a GTS of this age/mileage with a full POC service history?
Its not unreasonable, my 2020 MY S, bought new on 1 Sept 2019 needed:
1. Rear pads after 19k miles (seems letting ACC do all the braking speeds wear);
2. 4 new tyres after 13,500 miles, the two fronts, Michelins, were changed again 20k later;
3. Alloys only had 1 mark but they were 18" wheels;
4. My bonnet had a number of stone chips and there were a couple of small dings. WBAC knocked £728 off for them. You can't expect anything else from any car with 40k miles (mine) of use. Some Porsches do get mollycoddled to a greater extent though!
5. No comment, although some might find that desirable!
As you will have read in other threads buying from an OPC costs a bit extra but the warranty gives peace of mind for 5 above and 1-4 will usually have been sorted pre-sale. A private sale WITH balance of an (extendable) Porsche warranty is good, a bit more hassle getting the bits fixed maybe but probably cheaper overall. Good luck.
Blimey - new tyres after 13.500 miles and rear pads after 19K. Done nearly 20K in mine and tyres and pads have plenty left in them. Was you taking it on the track?
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Brake pads and tyres are wear and tear items, so nothing wrong with that.

Re-furb the alloys? Sounds like someone doesn't care how they park, which could also mean the geometry is out. Same for the dings and scraps.

It's probably a sound car, but a lot can be said for how the owner has cared for it. Which by the sounds of it, not very well.

I'd move on and look at better examples. Either that, or haggle to get the price down that will cover the costs to bring it back to a desirable example.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:47 pm
As you will have read in other threads buying from an OPC costs a bit extra but the warranty gives peace of mind for 5 above
Not sure about that, "acoustic concerns" are excluded from the warranty.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Depends where it is for sale, if there is a transferable extended warranty and if the Maths add up after the cost of repairs/refurbishment/replacement are added up.

Only item 4 is expected, the others certainly point to a hard life.

What is the internal condition of seating and upholstery?

At six years old a major service is due and that will likely be about £1,500.

A full set of tyres c£1100-1200

BTW, as nearly all Macan’s are custom built if the VIN number is taken to an OPC they can printout the actual as built spec.

In the case of this GTS they do come with standard fitted extras v an S.

I am not a fan of the basic 8 way seats, in a car of this class 14/18 way should be standard.

Another point for me if a Macan does not have Surround Cam, 14 way seats, PS+ fitted I would walk away.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pip07

Post by Pip07 »

Still sat on the fence. So local OPC will fix 1-5 and seller won’t budge on price - they say they need to cover 1-5. Interior mostly fine but 3 gouges out of the plastic on rear seat just inside the door - way too deep to ‘polish’ out. Defo ‘unloved’. Concerned there’s trouble ahead and I need the car on the road not in the garage!

On #2, just 1 rear tyre replacement - seemed odd to me. Even my Scooby WRX got upset without a matching pair :(

Otherwise, spec matches what’s being advised + I’ll be going for extended warranty, no question there.

Maths homework suggests it’s a tad overpriced. With all the work done would it hold its value relative to an S with a similar mileage/age? Hard to tell from my research.