Yellow dots on various parts of the engine - why?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
lizmoretti

Post by lizmoretti »

Moriarty wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:37 pm My understanding is that coloured dots are used as part of the factory quality control - when a part is checked the dot is added as evidence and then the dots can all be scanned to ensure the car is assembled correctly and all checks are completed. This is pretty standard in auto production.

It’s dark right now so I can’t look into my Macan to see what markings are visible. Mine was built last November.
You're correct - dealer has confirmed they're just QC markings.

lizmoretti

Post by lizmoretti »

Pythongrün wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:44 pm Sounds like the dealer wanted an excuse to pull out of the deal.
Really weird, I think you're right.

They drove 2 hours to get here and inspected the car for almost an hour. They facetimed their colleagues back at base and showed them the markings and they'd never seen them etiher.

Their website shows they have four Porsches in stock so, if they're standard on Porsche engines as my dealer says, then they must have seen these markings before.

Really elaborate way to pull out of a purchase. It's not like they even tried to knock me down on price. They even said what a shame it was because it was in amazing condition, great colour and loads of extras.
2japs

Post by 2japs »

lizmoretti wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:32 am
2japs wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:17 am
lizmoretti wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:49 am

Sorry, don’t know what an OPC is, and Google didn’t offer any assistance.

They were from an independent “performance car” dealership that appears to deal in Porsche, Ferrari, Range Rover etc.
OPC - Official Porsche Centre. My car is in for oil change today, I will ask them, see if they can shed any light 🤞
My Porsche dealer has got back to me - they're QC marks from the factory. Weird how someone who apparently deals with Porsche cars didn't know this...
Yeah, that’s what my OPC has indicated.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

lizmoretti wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:36 am
Pythongrün wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:44 pm Sounds like the dealer wanted an excuse to pull out of the deal.

They drove 2 hours to get here and inspected the car for almost an hour. They facetimed their colleagues back at base and showed them the markings and they'd never seen them etiher.

Their website shows they have four Porsches in stock so, if they're standard on Porsche engines as my dealer says, then they must have seen these markings before.

Really elaborate way to pull out of a purchase. It's not like they even tried to knock me down on price. They even said what a shame it was because it was in amazing condition, great colour and loads of extras.
If you can be bothered, maybe call yesterday's 'buyer's back and let them know what the OPCs have confirmed. Their response will tell you whether they were just using it as an excuse or not. If not then I guess there's an outside chance they may go ahead with the buy. Best of luck with selling it either way
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I would certainly phone the buyer back. Interesting to see what they say and they might proceed with the purchase.

Good luck :D
dlgis

Post by dlgis »

IMG_6115.jpeg

Yes they are manufacturer’s marks. Unfortunately I don’t have a good pic of mine but you can see the yellow marks on 2 top pipes.
Darryl
Macan GTS 2023
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

And of course the trader would also have seen dots like this on salvaged parts before because the dots only indicate that these parts were originally assembled at the factory. If the dots had been missing it might indicate a replacement part, so it is really the absence of dots that should worry him, not the presence of them.

It probably makes sense to relay your OPCs clarification to the trader but I imagine he will likely stick with his scepticism. I’m guessing he does not normally deal with newer cars that are still in original condition, like yours. More fool him to reject a good car through his ignorance, effectively because it has NOT had repairs and the condition is better than he is used to.

At least you can put your mind at rest that your car is in the correct order. That’s the main thing.
dlgis

Post by dlgis »

The “buyer” may also have been a freelance car collector who does a basic check over the car, rather than someone with detailed marque knowledge.
Darryl
Macan GTS 2023
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Who was the "trade Buyer" - a recognised legit company?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
lizmoretti

Post by lizmoretti »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:45 am
lizmoretti wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:36 am

If you can be bothered, maybe call yesterday's 'buyer's back and let them know what the OPCs have confirmed. Their response will tell you whether they were just using it as an excuse or not. If not then I guess there's an outside chance they may go ahead with the buy. Best of luck with selling it either way
I emailed them. They haven't even got back to me.

I sold it via CarWow. My theory is that they didn't want it/bid too much/changed their mind. But they had to come and see it and fabricate a reason to pull out otherwise CarWow would still charge them a fee. I imagine they were hoping to find some damage or scratches to the paintwork but couldn't.

This way although they've wasted a few hours they've saved several hundered pounds in fees.