Winter / Snow driving

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ahhh, fond memories of last feb ......on my knees on my drive.......practising just in case.......
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

jeny88

Post by jeny88 »

Hello,

I Like driving very much but I don't have an experience How to drive a car in the snow so can you give me tips for better driving?

Thanks in Advance
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hello and welcome jeny88

There are lots of tips if you Google the subject. Here's oneby the RAC www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/winter-drivi ... g-in-snow/

If you live in an area where winter temperatures are regularly below 7C and snow is a common winter experience then do invest in a set of 4 winter tyres [store your summer tyres for future use].

If you do not HAVE to drive in snow / ice conditions, then delay your journey! ❄❄☃☃
Last edited by SAC1 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome Jeny

Great advice by SAC

Placing a deposit on a Porsche automatically generates an invitaion for a free 1/2 day driving on the PEC circuits at Silverstone. As part of that Porsche driving experience we get to practice driving a Porsche similar to what we have ordered on the skid pan and ice hills. Whilst this does not fully refelect snow it does give great experience of what could potentially be worst.

Why I have stated the above is to suggest that you Google skid pan training near where you live and then arrange to attend a course.

Additionally as you like driving you may like to consider joining the IAM and take their driving training programme which leads to membership. Your driving skills will improve considerably upon completion of your training and study.

Meanwhile in WH Smith you will find a book, Roadcraft, The Police Drivers Handbook. It is well worth buying and studying as it forms the basis for the IAM driving system and their own manual.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Sandy0308

Post by Sandy0308 »

Hi. Can someone post a response that doesn't include a bunch of car fanatic acronyms? I'm a girl that bought a Macan because it's "cute" and not because of performance. It's snowy and ice out (I'm in Texas, which is VERY uncommon here) and I'm not sure which buttons to push to make it to the grocery store safely. I have a base model 2020 Macan with a premium package (if that means anything?) HELP!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hi Sandy

Perhaps delay driving your Macan until it's gone or turned to slush. Get a lift with someone in a cheaper car! Get a taxi.

If you really have to drive..... press the off road button so that all wheels are being driven. Four wheel drive. This button

Screenshot_20210216-165656_Porsche Good to know.jpg

Take it easy with the throttle / accelerator / gas pedal. Steer gently. Brake gently. Look ahead to anticipate the need to brake, The goal being not to if possible! Leave plenty of room between you and the car ahead of you. So you can stop even if they can't!

Next aurumn / fall / winter consider buying a set of all season or winter ones that are Porsche approved tires. Store the tyres you've got on now until the spring.

Keep safe.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Must admit, have been reasonably impressed with the Macan’s capability in the snow with its All Season tyres. To get out of my drive, reasonably steep and with 8” of snow, I put it in Off Road mode and took it easy...slight wheel spin at the steepest bit but all good. But if you want real go anywhere capability, what you really need is lightweight, proper low ratio and a locking diff and skinny all terrain tyres....the Suzuki Jimny for the price of a set of 21” alloy wheels and tyres goes anywhere!!

4B91BF9B-263A-4185-AA2E-3C06DAE3B94B.jpeg

9CC3873B-2DD0-49D2-BFCE-BC80DAD1325C.jpeg

Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
Sandy0308

Post by Sandy0308 »

Northnoble wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:23 pm Must admit, have been reasonably impressed with the Macan’s capability in the snow with its All Season tyres. To get out of my drive, reasonably steep and with 8” of snow, I put it in Off Road mode and took it easy...slight wheel spin at the steepest bit but all good. But if you want real go anywhere capability, what you really need is lightweight, proper low ratio and a locking diff and skinny all terrain tyres....the Suzuki Jimny for the price of a set of 21” alloy wheels and tyres goes anywhere!!

"low ratio" and "locking diff" mean nothing to me. Sorry. This weather hasn't happened in Texas in 120 years. I don't need or want to buy tires for one day. Just need food and water! No power in 30 hours, no water in 12. Texas is losing it. I'll try the off-road button and go slow. Thanks yall!
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

I understand your pain....my head office is in Houston and my boss and all his colleagues can’t believe what’s going on!??....they can handle hurricanes and flooding, but not snow and ice.

Off Road button on, turn off traction control if you get stuck, put it in manual and keep it slow and in low gears and revs. Where possible keep wheels facing straight as much as possible. DO NOT park on an icy hill, the handbrake will hold the wheels, but the car will just slide if there is ice under the wheels

Good luck in this alien environment!
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Sandy0308 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:38 pm
Northnoble wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:23 pm Must admit, have been reasonably impressed with the Macan’s capability in the snow with its All Season tyres. To get out of my drive, reasonably steep and with 8” of snow, I put it in Off Road mode and took it easy...slight wheel spin at the steepest bit but all good. But if you want real go anywhere capability, what you really need is lightweight, proper low ratio and a locking diff and skinny all terrain tyres....the Suzuki Jimny for the price of a set of 21” alloy wheels and tyres goes anywhere!!

"low ratio" and "locking diff" mean nothing to me. Sorry. This weather hasn't happened in Texas in 120 years. I don't need or want to buy tires for one day. Just need food and water! No power in 30 hours, no water in 12. Texas is losing it. I'll try the off-road button and go slow. Thanks yall!
What you need to do is, press the off road button down.This means that all the wheels will turn together And as said, engage the manual 1st gear, the left hand side of the gear selector, in the H pattern. Try to set off with the wheels pointing straight ahead, then turn when you've got traction, (the car begins to move). But all your actions need to be ultra ultra gentle. The throttle pedal, ultra gentle. The steering wheel movement, ultra gentle. And then braking, ultra ultra gentle. And if you're in snow, keep the speed to slow, 10 to 20 mph max. Good luck.