Winter / Snow driving

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

This was the advice I was given, from somebody who knows.

For normal winter driving leave the car in normal setting in terms of drive mode. Off road mode should only be used when you require serious drive settings i.e. slowly in very deep snow or seriously off road. In normal road conditions with snow the car will decide what to do in terms of drive distribution and differential splits etc. so there is no need for off-road settings. By all means raise the car as you said you are on air but no need to alter the drive unless you are driving very slowly off-roading.

As I said in the film, your best asset in snowy conditions is your winter tyres. It doesn't matter how many wheels are driving if they don’t have any grip !!

So basically for driving on road normally in the snow, winter tyres and 'normal' drive setting and let the car make the decisions.
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I agree with keeping it simple. Leave the car set as you would for normal driving Sandy. Once moving try to judge other traffic situations so that you can keep moving slow and steady. Pretend you have an egg between your foot and the gas pedal or the brake to make going and slowing very gentle and try to keep moving at the same speed if you can, especially up inclines. Steering on slippery surfaces is best done at steady speed with no acceleration or braking. Take it steady and you’ll be fine!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Agreed. But she doesn't have winter tyres, and said she doesn't want to buy them for just one day. But don't let the car take control, or it will take over. Be in control of it at all times, as you are the driver. As someone who has had a total of 26 weeks driving courses, in all conditions, I think that is more than many. Either I needed it, or should be now damn good. :lol: :lol:
As an alternative to buying winter tyres. Some form of snow chains would be a cheaper alternative, they're not the big clunky things that your mind might conjour up. As a temp' measure that could be the route to go down.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

It's OK talking about winter tyres and snow chains but, regardless of whether Sandy wants to buy any, they're unlikely to be available in a State that rarely sees snow.

Two problems with unexpected winter conditions: one is your inexperience and the other is everybody else. Follow the advice of Nick and Madelvic, leave as much space as you can in front of you so that when you have to slow down the idiot behind you can see what you're doing and avoid rear ending you.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

That is why I was saying, ultra, ultra gentle on the brakes. I understand and agree, the point about not wanting to spend money on a set of winter tyres. But when conditions and the elements are extreme, as they are for her, a relatively cheep and alternative, compared to what we all spec' on our cars, I think the cost would be justified. And have you never heard of the internet, when items can be purchased on line.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

TheTraveller wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:14 am And have you never heard of the internet, when items can be purchased on line.
I've often wondered what the magic system is that allows me to access this forum. :lol:
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Sandy0308 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:10 pm Hi. Can someone post a response that doesn't include a bunch of car fanatic acronyms? I'm a girl that bought a Macan because it's "cute" and not because of performance. It's snowy and ice out (I'm in Texas, which is VERY uncommon here) and I'm not sure which buttons to push to make it to the grocery store safely. I have a base model 2020 Macan with a premium package (if that means anything?) HELP!
Wondered how you got on with the Macan in the snow Sandy. Ok I hope? According to the news over here it looked really bad there with some very serious conditions for families without heat and water for days. Hopefully it’s back to near normal by now.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA