Winter / Snow driving

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul

Post by Paul »

Guy, the K66 are what I've got for the rears....they fit both 19" and 20" wheels (you remove some or all of the adjusting bar thingys)
I fitted them successfully (and as easily as in the videos on the Thule website) to my SD 19's and must assume the fitting will be as straightforward on my GTS 20's once I take the last link out.
I confess I didn't try the socks on the rear of the GTS but I reckon with a bit of grunting they might just squeeze over.
I only got both options for the last 10 miles up to the various ski resorts we have / intend to visit....they've not seen real action yet
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Guy

Post by Guy »

Guy, the K66 are what I've got for the rears....they fit both 19" and 20" wheels (you remove some or all of the adjusting bar thingys)
I fitted them successfully (and as easily as in the videos on the Thule website) to my SD 19's and must assume the fitting will be as straightforward on my GTS 20's once I take the last link out.
I confess I didn't try the socks on the rear of the GTS but I reckon with a bit of grunting they might just squeeze over.
I only got both options for the last 10 miles up to the various ski resorts we have / intend to visit....they've not seen real action yet

Thanks Paul - I think I may go for the K66s just to be safe, especially with all-season (rather than full winter) tyres.
Guy

Post by Guy »

My snow chains were supposed to arrive today, but I just checked on Amazon.de and the predicted delivery has just amended to sometime 'between 19th and 26th Dec.' I am off to the mountains on the 24th, so fingers crossed.
... and she highlighted the 'winter tires (SIC) are a must' statement! If the chains don't arrive, I will qualify that assertion next week!
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Good article - great photos Thumbs Up
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Interesting article.

Good promo to buy a set of Porsche rims and Winter tyres to complement your Summer set.

All the more reason to spend even more time on the PEC skid plans.

At my last trip there I probably spent as much time on the skid pan and ice hill as I did thrashing the Turbo around the circuits, great fun and a valuble learing experience.

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Guy

Post by Guy »

My chains arrived in the post today Smile. Tempted though I was to leave them in the box in the hope that I won't need them, I opened the package and had a flick through the instructions. It turns out there's a whole host of things (removing links and checking fixing bolt sizes and spacers) that are best done in the warmth of my underground garage than the cold wet darkness of a Transylvanian blizzard, hence tomorrow will be spent on a trial fit. If I remember I will take a couple of photos.
I also just had a look in the manual about driving in snow. Apparently 'it may be a good idea' to switch off PSM in deep snow or when rocking the vehicle free (I hope not to experience the latter!), and in the same circumstances off-road mode 'may be useful'. Clear as mud ...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Guy, if you got the K66 Thules, i bit of WD on the threads of the spacer links prior to removal pays dividends.....
Also, you may get as frustrated as me......you will probably have to remove an uneven number of said links with no clue as to which ones; I e-mailed Italy (manufacturer) and they said it didn't matter!
They are a bit fiddly, but relatively straighforward........almost as easy as the youtube video makes it seem!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Guy

Post by Guy »

Guy, if you got the K66 Thules, i bit of WD on the threads of the spacer links prior to removal pays dividends.....
Also, you may get as frustrated as me......you will probably have to remove an uneven number of said links with no clue as to which ones; I e-mailed Italy (manufacturer) and they said it didn't matter!
They are a bit fiddly, but relatively straighforward........almost as easy as the youtube video makes it seem!

Yes they're the K66s. Thanks for the tip about WD40 - glad I bought a new can just the other day!
And the instructions say that for 295/40R20 tyres I need to remove 5 of the elements which I assume are (all) the ones with the yellow plastic spacers in the middle. I'll let you know how I get on!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes, I had to remove only 4 for my previous 19s and spent ages agonising over which one to leave in (sad I know!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Guy

Post by Guy »

I just adjusted the chains and did the 'trial fit'. Despite use of WD40, I could not get two of the removable links undone as the hexagonal socket was made of such soft metal that the supplied Allen-key simply turned within it! Hence two links were removed with a hacksaw - will shortly be dropping Konig a line to complain.
Anyway, the size seems fine and I am fairly confident that they will work - here's a couple of photos:
Firstly the 'chain' in position prior to tightening the ratchet - you can see the red painted bolt in the centre where it grips onto one of the wheel bolts.
And here's a close-up of the bit that attaches to the wheel bolt - I had to fit one of the larger bolt adaptors that came with the kit, but didn't need to add any supplied spacers to bring it further out (clear of the wheel).
And here's a picture after I have operated the centre ratchet to pull the mechanism onto the wheel. As you can see the top three 'arms' (made of plastic) are in the correct place over the tyre, but if fitting for real I would have to drive forward a little to ensure that the bottom two arms adjust into place. I didn't want to try this on the concrete floor of the garage.
If I end up having to use them in the snow I'll be in touch with more photos, but the forecast for our trip is not looking too bad.

Guy2016-12-21 14:07:59