Winter / Snow driving

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Paul,  interested to know which AutoSock size you purchased for 20"

Hi Matt, they're the 697's which will fit all 4 wheels on my current SD 19's and at least the fronts of my GTS (when it comes - and if we ever drive to the Alps again) I'll have a good go at forcing them onto the rears too; if all else fails my chains will fit the rears on both.....or I'll find a hotel in Grenoble, wait for the snow plough at loose a day's skiing!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi, did the 697's work ok on the GTS 20" wheels?
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Sport Plus On
PSM OFF
Left foot on footbrake
Right foot hard to the floor
Lift Left foot quickly
Steer
SMILE

HugWackoLOLClapShocked

After my PEC experience of Sport Plus/Kick Plate/Ice Hill on Tuesday, that would work.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Peter_L

Post by Peter_L »

I have spent a lot of time driving on snow and ice at -20 in Canada, Northern Finland the US and elsewhere. IF it's really slippy the rule of single inputs holds king aka break only etc and drive like you got Daisy up back.

On proper packed snow anything above 40mph is also going to cause traction issues unless you have winter tyres, they really do work. I was driving a POS in Canada on summer tread and had the joy of a left hand turn that was the slowest accident I have ever had, just did not slow down enough for the traction to hold and the car immediately broke free on the turn and then slid sideways slowly onto a snow drift on the far side of the intersection. That sucker took hours to clear the snow out to drive on, nothing damaged but pride....

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I have spent a lot of time driving on snow and ice at -20 in Canada, Northern Finland the US and elsewhere. IF it's really slippy the rule of single inputs holds king aka break only etc and drive like you got Daisy up back.

On proper packed snow anything above 40mph is also going to cause traction issues unless you have winter tyres, they really do work. I was driving a POS in Canada on summer tread and had the joy of a left hand turn that was the slowest accident I have ever had, just did not slow down enough for the traction to hold and the car immediately broke free on the turn and then slid sideways slowly onto a snow drift on the far side of the intersection. That sucker took hours to clear the snow out to drive on, nothing damaged but pride....

Good to know.

jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

The hare and the tortoise springs to mind
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Good advice I think
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Walk out of house, past Macan, get into old Shogun with proper M+S tyres, engage diff locks if it's really bad, drive off. Simples! As for trying a Macan on the off-road track at the PEC, apparently even with air suspension raised, they bottom out on some parts as the course was design specifically for the Cayenne and hasn't been update to include the Macan.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi, did the <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">697's work ok on the GTS 20" wheels?</span>

For those interested in snow socks, Auto sock 697 will fit 20" GTS wheels. (I didn't do the 50 yards or so need to fully centre the sock)

Useful temporary get you home solution for those not wanting to go the whole hog and run snow tyres. They also have the benefit of being accepted in France ilo chains up to ski resorts (if you get the opportunity to discuss withe the gendarmes!)

Edit....arghhhh someone's changed the photo settings again......!Paul2016-12-04 16:58:10
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

For those interested in snow socks, Auto sock 697 will fit 20" GTS wheels. (I didn't do the 50 yards or so need to fully centre the sock)

Do the 697s only fit the front wheels? The Autosock site says that the 698s are required for the rears.
I was about to order some Kà–NIG | THULE K-SUMMIT XXL K66 Snow chains ready for a trip up to the Ukraine border at Xmas, but they come in at £342. Thoughts?