Winter / Snow driving

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mcanny

Post by Mcanny »

HMMMM like SPL's guidance.... would only change one thing... replace steer with random steering input, increasingly large!!!!!!

Best thing on ice and snow put it in manual control your own revs and short shift
www.porsche-code.com/PG7L9Qc5 sold 24th March 2016

GTS ordered 9th November 15, May 16 build, May 24th delivered www.porsche-code.com/PH62SLM5

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Obviously not much off road or snow driving planned by you lot - I suppose you can just delay the trip to Waitrose if snow is forecast LOL LOL LOL

I'll report back later ........... hopefully next year Smile
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

First drive in snow - seems to be OK Big smile

No buttons or manual - just drove as normal and it seemed to drive fine - even managed to overtake someone in a mini. Thumbs Up

DAVID

Post by DAVID »

We have about 4 " of snow at the moment and so far seems ok, had about a 6 mile stint up hill down dale with proper 18" snow/winter tyres on, hopefully the snow will get deeper in the night and I can have a proper drive in daylight in the morning.
To many idiots on the road to do it in the dark when not really necessary.Embarrassed
Silver Macan Diesel. Ordered 14/11/2014 Delivered 22/10/15
www.porsche-code.com/PGM2UJJ2
steve w

Post by steve w »

Goron59
Seems you've touched a nerve calling the 2L weedy.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

So there is me 60mph going up M61 with all lanes snow covered, I am in my Jag 4wd XType.

I am in middle lane overtaking a crawler when the white van man behind me decides to overtake me

He goes into the well snow covered outside lane then as he is 20 yards past me his front offside wheel hits a small snowdrift and the van twitches

It then spins 90 degrees and goes over all three lanes down the embankment and comes to a stop by the side of the canal

The moral of the tale........do not drive like white van man and you should be OK
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

The valleys have been covered in snow these last few days.
Obviously had to take advantage of this fact; I can confirm that the Macan is indeed rear wheel drive bias, that maintaining grip is tricky but once you have the knack comes easy enough, hill descent control is eery and somewhat challenging to engage. Need to read up on the correct procedure for using this as it didn't seem to work the same way twice.
Also they don't make handbrakes like they used to.
I don't have winter tyres, do have the 20" SD wheels and the tread is about half worn.
The incredible torque available on these machines makes controlling spin a bit of a challenge and I had thought that manually controlling the gear change would allow me better torque control. So it was a surprise for me when actually the gearbox map does a very good job keeping the revs down.
The jury's still out on whether PSM is better on or off if trying to make progress, or if employing off-road mode is advantageous (the car then keeps the revs high which means that maximum torque is deployed to the wheels making the art of grip more art of slip) but drifting is definitely easier with it off.
I would like to say at this point that Porsche would do well to allow the Macan access to their off road facility at the PEC. I understand that it's not a Cayenne, but it is a 4x4 (with a pathetic wading depth) with an "Offroad" button. The least they could do is demonstrate the best way to use it and advise on its limitations. Otherwise some misguided person will end up dragging Porsche's SUV credentials through the mud. Literally.
I'll report back again when I get more time to myself on the white stuff!
Finally, what do you get if you add white snow to a white car?
Black. Go figure.
Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8
Guy

Post by Guy »

Verstappen seems to manage OK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOrlcW2LBw
Strange that Porsche limit snow-chains to 19".
emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

Yeah. Sort of precludes me driving up to Alpe D'Huez with my 20 " SDs. Looks like that little trip might cost another £1800 for another set of wheels and tyres.
Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yeah. Sort of precludes me driving up to Alpe D'Huez with my 20 " SDs. Looks like that little trip might cost another £1800 for another set of wheels and tyres.

When are you going emptygroves? We're due second week in March - all I intend to do is take some snowsox (already purchased.) It does seem over the top to compromise nearly 2000 miles of ordinary roads for the last 10 miles or so, and hopefully by March the roads to the resort should be clear anyway......(watch this space!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465