Winter / Snow driving

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Twenty years ago I drove on a ski holiday to Meribel>Flaine>Chamonix>Though the alpes into Italy, back over high pass to Verbier in Switzerland.

All in my Company car a Peugeot 405, no drama no issues and only had to use the chains once.

Drive like a duck and all will be OK

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

I'm delighted with the Macan in snow, it behaved as if it was on dry tarmac. Very surefooted compared to the BMW, but that goes without saying.

Parking sensors were going nuts with the snow on the front bumper, easily solved with a pres of the button.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Nice Thumbs Up ...also very good traction on vertical roads WinkTongue
GTS \o/ - sold :(
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Very pleased with performance in snow - going uphill it transfers power to front wheels - no drama which is what we want. Big smile

Paul

Post by Paul »

Very pleased with performance in snow - going uphill it transfers power to front wheels - no drama which is what we want. Big smile

Snow, ......snow.......nope....can't remember........but then ....we are in Bristol ( note to self; take a trip to Scotland!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

Yeah. Sort of precludes me driving up to Alpe D'Huez with my 20 " SDs. Looks like that little trip might cost another £1800 for another set of wheels and tyres.

When are you going emptygroves? We're due second week in March - all I intend to do is take some snowsox (already purchased.) It does seem over the top to compromise nearly 2000 miles of ordinary roads for the last 10 miles or so, and hopefully by March the roads to the resort should be clear anyway......(watch this space!)

Actually, it's just the kids this time. We're gonna go as a group when work calms down next year. I'm just lining up my excuses for when she breaks something.
Alpe D'Huez is guaranteed skiing in March as it sits next to a glacier. Can be icy in the morning and slushy in the afternoon but it keeps the beer intake under control though as you can at least be out on the slopes!

I had socks for the Honda, and thought that only chains would suffice in the French Alps? Can I get away with wearing my socks when going for a ride in my Porsche? My wife hates that.

What size are your wheels? Where'd you get your socks from?

Not the sort of question I'd imagined asking on this forum.
Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yeah. Sort of precludes me driving up to Alpe D'Huez with my 20 " SDs. Looks like that little trip might cost another £1800 for another set of wheels and tyres.

When are you going emptygroves? We're due second week in March - all I intend to do is take some snowsox (already purchased.) It does seem over the top to compromise nearly 2000 miles of ordinary roads for the last 10 miles or so, and hopefully by March the roads to the resort should be clear anyway......(watch this space!)

Actually, it's just the kids this time. We're gonna go as a group when work calms down next year. I'm just lining up my excuses for when she breaks something.
Alpe D'Huez is guaranteed skiing in March as it sits next to a glacier. Can be icy in the morning and slushy in the afternoon but it keeps the beer intake under control though as you can at least be out on the slopes!

I had socks for the Honda, and thought that only chains would suffice in the French Alps? Can I get away with wearing my socks when going for a ride in my Porsche? My wife hates that.

What size are your wheels? Where'd you get your

Not the sort of question I'd imagined asking on this forum.

These are the ones I bought, fit 19's and 20's

http://www.autosock.co.uk/autosock-for-cars/

Apparently will satisfy Gendarmes if you do get stopped ( I suppose it depends how good your French is!) "Chausette" seems to work....!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Very pleased with performance in snow - going uphill it transfers power to front wheels - no drama which is what we want. Big smile

Snow, ......snow.......nope....can't remember........but then ....we are in Bristol ( note to self; take a trip to Scotland!)

I know the feeling - one of the many reasons I bought the Macan was because of snow - in 2015 my Macan experienced one day of frost and no salt on roads which in some ways was brilliant.Smile
emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

That's great!
Thanks Paul
Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi Paul, interested to know which AutoSock size you purchased for 20"